suddenly no response from any HomeKitLink Siri devices

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:04 pm
drcox offline

After working incredibly well for a long time, my HKLS setup is suddenly completely nonfunctional. All devices are unresponsive in the Home app.

My Indigo log has been flooded with the below error message. These have shown up consistently over the past 24 hours but oddly just stopped when I started drafting this post.

2023-09-22 10:42:53.105 HomeKitLink Siri Error (hap_handler.py: Function: _pair_verify_two line: 547): Error : Message : ('192.168.1.241', 50330): Client ac87a10f-6f5c-4dbe-b369-f90bd45a799e attempted pair verify without being paired to HomeKitLink Bridge 179958 first.
2023-09-22 10:42:53.238 HomeKitLink Siri Error (hap_handler.py: Function: _pair_verify_two line: 547): Error : Message : ('192.168.1.241', 50331): Client c685054a-a39b-47c3-b324-6629b375b023 attempted pair verify without being paired to HomeKitLink Bridge 179958 first.

I know these messages can be associated with older device software vs. HomeKit architecture upgrades, however:
- All my devices (Mac, watch, iPhones, iPads, HomePods, AppleTV) are on the latest software except for one Mac, and I removed Home from that one's iCloud settings.
- HomeKit architecture upgrade was done ~2 weeks ago.
- I traced the IP addresses to the specific devices. Confirmed each one was updated, then took that device offline. The error messages just started showing up from a different device
- Prior to the messages mysteriously stopping, I was able to trigger a message by trying to interact with a device in the Home app on my iPhone (running iOS 17.0.1). So there at least appeared to be some communication through to Indigo
Side note - upgraded my iPhone and Watch to new iOS 17/WatchOS 10 on Monday. Things worked well through Tues/Wed though so though this update is recent I don't think it triggered the issue

Other debug steps I've tried
- Restarted plugin
- Restarted Indigo server (software and hardware)
- Updated HKLS to latest version
- Unpublished a device from my HKLS bridge in Indigo. Change did not refresh on Home app on my phone
- Created a new bridge (my second). Published aforementioned device in it, then added that bridge to Home app. Bridge added but the device did not show up.

Any debug ideas or logs I can gather? This plugin has been amazing and I'm really hoping I can continue using it. I'm not very skilled in software development but will do whatever I can to help solve this. Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:53 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Pending a OS17 unreported issue (I’m running OS17, although not yet on appleTVs which might be Hubs Edit: Upgraded all appletvs and all fine at my end) - seems like your Home has got into a bad state, with regards security.

Would check current HKLS version, but upgrade to:
https://github.com/Ghawken/HomeKitLink-Siri/releases

You mention running ‘latest version’, but pair verify message you report was removed a few versions ago - so above pre-release will make sure uptodate.

Not sure the relevancy of the ?now gone messaging — basically that appears when a Home client attempts to connect but has not gone through the correct verification steps. I would imagine a number of Home events (Hub offline, Hub error etc) could prompt it. If possible eventually the client should re-confirm and the message will go away.

I would look at Home app - settings, Hubs and see what your current connected Hub is. Check online and working.

Logs are in standard Indigo log directory, welcome to turn on all logging (including apple library, which goes to file), restart plugin, run for a wait and zip up and send through. May or may not be particularly useful - but happy to have look. Will depend where issue lies.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 pm
drcox offline

Re: suddenly no response from any HomeKitLink Siri devices

Thanks Glenn. first, the messages came back shortly after my post.
I had been running version 0.6.5. Just grabbed your pre-release 0.6.26 and the messages have changed:
2023-09-24 19:44:07.284 HomeKitLink Siri Home app Client with IP address ('192.168.1.25', 49289) appears incompatible with this version of homekit. It attempted to connect to Bridge HomeKitLink Bridge 179958 and this connection failed to verify.
2023-09-24 19:44:07.284 HomeKitLink Siri Typically this means this client hasn't been updated to latest OS version, or is incompatible with it. This needs to be addressed with the Client Home App. See forum for more details as needed.

This IP address is my 1st gen HomePod, running OS 17.0 and was acting as my primary Home hub.
I tried unplugging that HomePod, (along with all other HomePods), so that my AppleTV running tvOS 16.6 was the only connected hub.
Now I see error message associated with the AppleTV
Logs attached, the most recent plugin reload after the steps mentioned above starts at 2023-09-24 20:00:43.862

I'm not completely sure what this means:
turn on all logging (including apple library, which goes to file)

so if I haven't done the logging correctly let me know any other instructions and I'll try again.

So yeah, there's probably something deeper messed up with my Home. I'm hoping to avoid a full rebuild. Separately and maybe related, I've got a phantom non-responsive home hub in my Home, from a re-configured AppleTV. Basically this bug
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 ... 022&page=1
I'm working a couple angles to get that resolved, hopefully it's all connected and when fixed will return my home automation from the dark ages :D

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:25 pm
GlennNZ offline

Ok

Yep the update which you have completed to 0.6.26 changes that message to be less error and more info related.

Still you shouldn’t be getting it from OS17 or a Homepod Hub.

Agree - there is something deeper going wrong with your home setup
. The phantom home hub doesn’t sound the greatest.

It doesn’t seem like this is going to be plugin related (fingers crossed for rest of us!). I’m running OS17 on everything now without HomeKitLink or my appleTV plugin issues.

I would suggest:
Plugging HomePod back in.
But remove it from Home/Reset it altogether.
& then re-add it.

Seems like you might also need to delete all Hubs from your home.

Can do this within the AppleTV setting…. Probably marginally easier than creating a new Home - but as you mention that is the next option.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:46 am
drcox offline

thanks again Glenn. I've already tried removing all the hubs and re-adding them. The phantom is still there and the problem persists. If my buddies at Apple can't help me, looks like I'll be deleting the entire Home.
Also forgot to mention that other native HomeKit devices and devices used with Homebridge still work fine. Very weird. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:14 am
siclark offline

Did you try physically turning off your Apple TV , presuming that is your hub?
All my indigo devices went off line after OS upgrades and restarting indigo and plugin didn’t help, even though native HomeKit devices showed up ok.
Turning off/on Apple TV worked.

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:53 pm
drcox offline

yeah I unplugged all AppleTV and HomePods hoping that having zero hubs online would reset something. No luck.

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:43 pm
GlennNZ offline

Have updated HomeKitLink to 0.6.27

Few library based updates which fix the occasional OS17 related issue (reported in other solutions using library)

Running it myself on 2 systems and haven't seen any negative impact.

Give it a go:

https://github.com/Ghawken/HomeKitLink- ... tag/0.6.27

Page 1 of 1