HOmeKitLink Siri & Homebridge

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:49 pm
jltnol offline

Since there is not LGTV plugin for Indigo, I have set up Homebridge, and have installed a plugin to handle communication to/from the TV, and a 2nd plugin that connects to the HomeKitLInk plugin in Indigo. From there, I have a "virtual" device in Indigo that when turned on or off, turns the TV on or off thru Homebridge. Probably not the most efficient way to handle this, but given my level of expertise(very little) I was able to get it to work. There was always some latency between the 2... maybe as much as 5 seconds... but now the latency gap has increased to almost 30 seconds, or more. Not the end of the world... but am curious if anyone else has a similar setup, and is experiencing the same issue. FWIW, turning the TV on/off directly from Homebridge is instantaneous, so the gap in time is between Indigo and the HomeKitLink Siri plugin, and Homebridge.

Not trying to point fingers... but just curious what might be causing this relatively new delay.

I have the latest version of HomeKitLInk. 0.6.5, and am up today with Homebridge and the plugs there as well.

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:21 am
GlennNZ offline

Re: HOmeKitLink Siri & Homebridge

jltnol wrote:
Since there is not LGTV plugin for Indigo, I have set up Homebridge, and have installed a plugin to handle communication to/from the TV, and a 2nd plugin that connects to the HomeKitLInk plugin in Indigo. From there, I have a "virtual" device in Indigo that when turned on or off, turns the TV on or off thru Homebridge. Probably not the most efficient way to handle this, but given my level of expertise(very little) I was able to get it to work. There was always some latency between the 2... maybe as much as 5 seconds... but now the latency gap has increased to almost 30 seconds, or more. Not the end of the world... but am curious if anyone else has a similar setup, and is experiencing the same issue. FWIW, turning the TV on/off directly from Homebridge is instantaneous, so the gap in time is between Indigo and the HomeKitLink Siri plugin, and Homebridge.

Not trying to point fingers... but just curious what might be causing this relatively new delay.

I have the latest version of HomeKitLInk. 0.6.5, and am up today with Homebridge and the plugs there as well.
Hi,

To summarise:
Homebridge - with LGTV Plugin
2nd Plugin - what is this?? == likely this is the issue
HKLS - With VD Device published

It is unlikely to relate to HomekitlinkSiri - this will react immediately to any command, or device update (in this case a Virtual Device update). It doesn’t have any cache, delay or option, to add a delay.

Something is recognised the VD devices change state (presumably in HomeKit app ==> Not the different similar names!). You can have the app open and see the VD change immediately.

You could have a trigger setup in the Home app - basically if VD changes do this to the homebridge accessory added to the home.

If that is the ‘2nd plugin’ then that will be reason for delays. Also would add that homekit >OS16.4 without a appleTV has lead to some delays..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:15 pm
jltnol offline

So I have devices in Indigo, and some of those devices have been populated thru the HomeKitLInkSiri plugin into Apple's Home app. If I turn those devices on or off in Apple's Home app, those changes are immediately reflected in Indigo. However, in my case, when devices are controlled from Indigo, those changes take much longer, to be reflected in the Apple home app.

And in the case of my TV, Indigo Triggers my virtual TV to turn on or off, and when that change finally reaches Apple's Home app, automation there in turn, turns on or off the actual TV. I've noticed the delay in my TV on/off setup for awhile now, and just decided to investigate to see what is causing the problem, and it is the delay in updating device states in Apple Home from Indigo. My TV is the only thing that I depend on automation in Apple Home to work, and now that I understand what the problem is, I'm quite OK with the status quo. . All my other devices are connected directly to Indigo so I don't have any issues with delays.

Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of the plugin, as I can easily see simply based on its name it is designed for Siri to control Indgio, and not necessarily the other way around. And off course, this could be something unique to my setup, so did a QT if you'd like to see.

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:09 am
GlennNZ offline

jltnol wrote:
So I have devices in Indigo, and some of those devices have been populated thru the HomeKitLInkSiri plugin into Apple's Home app. If I turn those devices on or off in Apple's Home app, those changes are immediately reflected in Indigo. However, in my case, when devices are controlled from Indigo, those changes take much longer, to be reflected in the Apple home app.

Hi

Based on the above something is wrong with your Home setup, or your network.

Basically any HKLS device changes should be immediately seen in the home app. As you are seeing in the other direction. HKLS doesn’t have any mechanism for adding any delay - basically it will be sending the update immediately. Why you Home app isn’t getting it immediately will be the Home environment, setup and/or network aspects.

(The other aspect is that Virtual Devices in Indigo - have a different approach to updating their state when turned on or off. Depends how you have set up the VD.)

Would check on OS >16.4 and that you have a Hub/Apple-TV coordinating somewhere. In my testing a Hub was much more a requirement after OS 16.4 changes.

Then would look at broad Home network checks.

There seem a few reports:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254559272

The plugin enables all Indigo devices (well most all) and then some to be seen as typical Home devices, updating should be instant in both directions, and that certainly is what most are seeing.

Glenn

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:57 am
jltnol offline

Hey Glenn

Thanks for your help with this, and glad to know this should work like I'd like it to, and that there is a problem in my setup somewhere. After reading the Apple Discussions page you linked, it's clear I'm looking in the wrong place for the answer as the problem is one in Apple's Home ecosystem and not Indigo, the plugin, or Homebridge.

FYI, my virtual device in Indigo is X-10 device. Of course, I don't have any real X-10 devices, but for simple On/Off states, these work very well for me.

And I've turned off everything Apple in the house with the exception of my AppleTV and the iMac that runs Indigo, and both of those devices are up to date software wise, I've re-set the router and switch, and still have the delay. I"ll continue to work on this from the Apple side. Whatever happened to "It just works"??

Cheers

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:24 am
CliveS offline

jltnol wrote:
There was always some latency between the 2... maybe as much as 5 seconds... but now the latency gap has increased to almost 30 seconds, or more. Not the end of the world... but am curious if anyone else has a similar setup, and is experiencing the same issue.

You are not alone.

I am also seeing a delay (fastest 9 sec, slowest sometimes over 30+ seconds), at the time I was also looking at the ping from my Indigo server to the HomePod Mini of 3-5ms. I have tried both HomeKitLink 0.6.5 and then upgrading to 0.6.16, also latest HomePod and then the latest beta.

Indigo Close Window - 17:49:08
Home Updated. - 17.49.30

Indigo Open Window - 17:49:34
Home Updated. - 17:50:30

Indigo Close Window - 17:50:38
Home Updated. - 17:51:10

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:43 am
GlennNZ offline

Some of UI (User-interface) slowness is probably to be expected, although it seems OS16.4 update slows down those that haven’t got a active Hub/Apple TV.

There may be a difference here also between you seeing the change in a particularly Home app versus Home getting the information.

Basically HKLS (the plugin) sends updates immediately to Home system. It doesn’t cache, or repeat them, sends once and done, off into your network the update goes….

Home (the apps) request various device status depending which windows you have open. If you have the detail screen on the app open only this will be the fastest update.

But this is an issue between Home and it’s apps - on how it sends updates.

The other potential issue is between your Home hub, and individual devices being updated.

I would set up a trigger within Home app (which should be managed by the Hub) and see how long that takes to action - to see if really an issue with your Home installation.

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:23 am
CliveS offline

GlennNZ wrote:
I would set up a trigger within Home app (which should be managed by the Hub) and see how long that takes to action - to see if really an issue with your Home installation.

Glenn

I have an Eve Motion sensor (using Matter) that instantly turns on a Hue light controlled by the Hue plugin in Indigo, the Aqara FP2 mmWave presence sensor also instant, Siri and the Apple Home app are controlling lights and doors using a one line shortcut also instantly, and all down to your HKLS plugin, thank you.

Hopefully Apple will sort out the delay but it is not a deal breaker.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:26 am
GlennNZ offline

CliveS wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:

Glenn

I have an Eve Motion sensor (using Matter) that instantly turns on a Hue light controlled by the Hue plugin in Indigo, the Aqara FP2 mmWave presence sensor also instant, Siri and the Apple Home app are controlling lights and doors using a one line shortcut also instantly, and all down to your HKLS plugin, thank you.

Hopefully Apple will sort out the delay but it is not a deal breaker.
Thanks.

Just to clarify the delay you are seeing is only how long it takes to see update within Home app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:28 am
CliveS offline

GlennNZ wrote:
Just to clarify the delay you are seeing is only how long it takes to see update within Home app?

Yes that is correct

CliveS

Posted on
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:31 pm
jltnol offline

Just checking in.... I'm still having this issue. I understand this is an Apple issue, and not Indigo or the plugin, but am wondering if anyone has figure out a work around yet. This delay only affects 1 or 2 sequences, but is still annoying. Has anyone tried the Sonoma beta? Does this still exist?

Posted on
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:31 am
jltnol offline

so was hoping the 13.5.1 update might fix this issue, but it hasn't. :(

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:40 pm
GlennNZ offline

jltnol wrote:
Just checking in.... I'm still having this issue. I understand this is an Apple issue, and not Indigo or the plugin, but am wondering if anyone has figure out a work around yet. This delay only affects 1 or 2 sequences, but is still annoying. Has anyone tried the Sonoma beta? Does this still exist?

See 0.6.26 & here:
viewtopic.php?f=366&t=27411

Pretty sure has fixed delay issues

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:54 pm
jltnol offline

THANKS!

I've downloaded it, and the issue is gone . Can't thank you enough for solving this.

Page 1 of 1