All HKLS devices showing "no response"

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:33 am
rbdubz3 offline

Re: All HKLS devices showing "no response"

Thanks Glenn - yeah last night I decided to clean things out and start fresh.. So I removed all the HKL Siri bridges from Indigo as well as the HomeKit app.. I've re-added a few HKLs and linked them to HomeKit with QRCode.. Seems alot healthier now - thanks! I'm still using 0.6.5 but can update at anytime if that's recommended.

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:54 pm
GlennNZ offline

I probably would upgrade to pre-release 0.6.16. The binary UUID changes are more future proof moving forward (although is only saved when pairing bridges). And the network changes also deal with some fringe cases, which may or may not apply.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:04 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks GlennNZ - yeah i realized with all of the things in flight - HLK Siri versions plus HomeKit re-architecture, it seemed like a full redo made sense.. I started this process of removing all of the HKL Siri bridges as well as the associated linkage in HomeKit.. Ever since that switch everything has been very solid - whew!

I am still on HKL Siri 0.6.5 - should I upgrade to a new version before continuing the full redo of my HKL Siri bridges (i have around 8 - one for each room in my house plus the exterior - fwiw).

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:06 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yep I would.

The paired bridges should all keep working, but when you pair new bridges we also now save, and preferentially use binary information for the key exchange.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:55 pm
rbdubz3 offline

ok thanks GlennNZ - i'll remove the HKL Siri bridges and associated HomeKit bridges again and do the upgrade to HLK Siri version 0.6.16.

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:17 pm
GlennNZ offline

Whatever is easiest.

Shouldn’t be a need to delete old bridges, at this moment, more future-proofing. I haven’t and wouldn’t recommend delete current working and paired bridges.

But also can:

Delete bridge from Home App
Disable Bridge in Indigo
& Reset Accessory menu item - select Bridge.
Reenable Bridge, and for good measure Restart Plugin and re pair with new QR code, this creates a new key exchange again - and is the same as deleting and redoing everything.

Glenn

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:04 pm
Bleasel offline

About five days ago all bridged devices are showing "No Response" on:

MacBookPro, OS 13.4.1; Home v7.0
Iphone 13, iOS 16.5.1
iPad Min OS 15.7.7
HomePod

Indigo 2022.2
Homekitlink Siri 0.6.16

HOWEVER
They all work on MacPro (Mid 2012). OS 10.14.6. Home v3.0

When I add a new device, it is shown on all systems, but only responsive on the MacPro

All devices are are the same WiFi network.

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:26 pm
GlennNZ offline

Bleasel wrote:
About five days ago all bridged devices are showing "No Response" on:

MacBookPro, OS 13.4.1; Home v7.0
Iphone 13, iOS 16.5.1
iPad Min OS 15.7.7
HomePod

Indigo 2022.2
Homekitlink Siri 0.6.16

HOWEVER
They all work on MacPro (Mid 2012). OS 10.14.6. Home v3.0

When I add a new device, it is shown on all systems, but only responsive on the MacPro

All devices are are the same WiFi network.
Hi

You have a very odd collection of various versions of HomeKit. I would suspect that is something to do with it.

Home v7.0 & v3.0 — ? What are you referring to here. HomeKit doesn’t have a specific version number, it uses the OS version. (or so I believe?)

Devices newer than OS16.4 the new HomeKit architecture are not backward compatible with older devices. By the fact that you have a number of older devices and OS, I would presume you are using the <16.4 old HomeKit architecture, with a number of the newer apps which now aren’t working. I would suggest it is probably the nature of this aspect that is now causing problems.

As a general rule if working on one client, then won’t be plugin issue - will be HomeKit broader network issue, versions, or mDNS issue for various clients.

There is one exception to this which is the UUID binary update that 0.6.16 fixes (only when paired though). There are a few reports of clients showing non-response because expecting binary data rather than paired key which was previously used. It hasn’t been clearly seen in the wild as it were, and I haven’t seen it, but 0.6.16 - fixes that as an future issue. To check this as an possibility a HKLS plugin bridge will need to be deleted in the Home app, then Reset Accessory in the HKLS plugin menu (selecting bridge), and then restart HKLS plugin. Then repair the same bridge (all the devices attached to it will remain and won’t need to be re-setup) using QR code and Home App.

So:

Try one or another:
1. Check mDNS issue on these devices (using discovery app) as per the troubleshooting post
2. Delete Bridge from Home app as above, reset, and repair - to see whether changes.

Failing these 2 options - would suggesting upgrade arch (which will likely have to at some stage) even though will render some clients unusable.

Glenn

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:32 pm
Bleasel offline

Home v7.0 & v3.0 — ?

This refers to the version number of the Application Home. If you select About Home, it shows the version number. There is an uprade to the Home Application available, but I have not done that.

I will try the steps suggested and report back.

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:38 pm
GlennNZ offline

Bleasel wrote:
Home v7.0 & v3.0 — ?

This refers to the version number of the Application Home. If you select About Home, it shows the version number. There is an uprade to the Home Application available, but I have not done that.

I will try the steps suggested and report back.

Thanks
Ok.

Mac OSX Home version numbers - understand. Don’t tend to access HomeKit via the OSX apps. (just iOS clients ipad/phones - where couldn’t find anything)

Seems that none of the later OS versions are working.

Certainly HomeKit doesn’t force you to upgrade to newer arch - although suspect they will force it sooner or later, and obviously multiple old versions will cause compatibility issues.

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:45 pm
Bleasel offline

1. Check mDNS issue on these devices (using discovery app) as per the troubleshooting post

All the devices are shown under _hap._tcp.

Will try step 2 now.

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:06 am
Bleasel offline

Did each of the steps in Step 2 and all devices everywhere have "No Response" including those on the old MacPro.

I then created a new bridge with one accessory. It was shown as responsive on all Devices for less than 30 seconds, and now is the only device responsive on the old MacPro.

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:12 am
GlennNZ offline

Bleasel wrote:
Did each of the steps in Step 2 and all devices everywhere have "No Response" including those on the old MacPro.

I then created a new bridge with one accessory. It was shown as responsive on all Devices for less than 30 seconds, and now is the only device responsive on the old MacPro.

Ok.
Does seem whole HomeKit install is a bit borked.

Re: step 2

Delete bridge device from HomeKit app.
Refresh wait for all devices to disappear from HomeKit app - should happen straight away.
Reset accessory bridge in menu. Will delete pairing information for that bridge. (a which had already been deleted in home)
Then restart plugin (for good measure)
Then use QR code to re pair bridge with home app.
You should have to confirm each device with home app (location etc.)
These devices should then appear.

Is that what you saw and did?

There is a whole lot of iCloud caching of devices as well. Your whole install here seems a bit sick. Could try removing hub from home (likely the HomePod or a appleTV - will relook at your device list)
Caching can overcome by logging out everywhere and then back in again.

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:22 am
Bleasel offline

I upgraded the Home App to the new Architecture, and now that one accessory I added to the new bridge is working on both Macs (New and old), and the iPhone, but the home app does not work on the iPad (probably time to upgrade).