iOS 16.2 HomeKit "Architecture" Changes

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:12 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yep - doesn’t have any negative impact for older systems. Running it on 2 myself.

There is a additional fairly major OS16.2 change needed which is to have unique, stable IIDs for everything. This involves changing every device code base, and significant library changes it would seem.

The current lack may not actually be causing any issue - because of way we startup - I’m guessing IIDs are already unique and stable between reboots/restarts. But ensuring they are seems to be future compatibility issue.

So - more to do, but hopefully 0.4.4 works okay for your immediate issues. May need to re-pair bridge having installed 0.4.4 - as changes the UUID. But let me know if still issues….

Currently thinking on best way to have unique, stable IIDs for everything. Probably will create with adding device to homekit and store like everything in indigo device props…. obviously will need to manage upgrading and/or downgrading …. so as said more to do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:21 am
racarter offline

Re: iOS 16.2 HomeKit "Architecture" Changes

0.4.4 did indeed require a re-pair.

Posted on
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:13 pm
GlennNZ offline

Think we have a few reports that all is working well now with the HomeKit 16.2 Architecture Changes - for those brave to upgrade... but would wait for next major version ideally.

I have some major plugin changes done, waiting a few checks to deal with some of the other OS16.2 Homekit requirements. Mainly that all characteristics should be unique and unchangeable.

I believe we achieve that already by the nature of startup of the bridges - not necessarily by design, however. Other automation software using the same homekit python library attempted to overcome this - but introduced a number of issues with unique characteristics. They are currently pushing fixes. Thankfully I have avoided this slight hiccup.

The issue with this change which is causing the delay is there is a slight risk that bridges will need to be repaired following. There is also a risk that this may also be required following the OS 16.2 changes regardless.

Have 0.5.0+ coming
Makes some library implementation changes
Adds unique IIDs for all characteristics and all accessories - via saving to file in pluginPrefs directory.

Shouldn't be to long, hoping to overcome painful need to repair bridge and potentially loose all room associations within HomeKit..,

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:44 am
racarter offline

Thanks for your great work on this! I confirm that all is still going well at this end.

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 am
racarter offline

Just got this error message:

'attempted pair verify without being paired to HomeKitLink Bridge 531007 first'

but it hasn't affected operation. :)

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:34 am
GlennNZ offline

Can you PM me the debug log either side of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:39 am
racarter offline

Done

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:42 am
GlennNZ offline

Thanks.
I’ll have a look when can - next 24 or so
Can’t explain how it still works - unless an old
Bridge connection? But logs should show

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 am
7rdr7 offline

GlennNZ/racarter, thanks for trail-blazing this one. I'll watch from the sidelines for now :wink:

Posted on
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:59 am
Trwesq offline

Glenn, thank you so much for HKL Siri. I am running it on a brand new 24” iMac running Ventura 13.1 along with HomePods, AppleTVs, and all OS devices running 16.2. Everything seems to work well in HKL Siri except that I am also receiving the error message that racarter reported below. I created 10 bridges to suit my HA system and 5 of them are reporting back:

'attempted pair verify without being paired to HomeKitLink Bridge [6-digit bridge number] first'

I’m pretty low-tech. If you have been able to resolve this or have any suggestions, please let us know. I’m grateful for HKL Siri and while it’s working great, red ink in my logs concerns me!

Thanks!

Ted
SW Florida, USA

Posted on
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:12 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Glad all is working.

What version HLKS?- upgrade to the latest in the Code repository to be double sure.

Pretty much that means a error left over somewhere in the homekit system, devices and/or cloud.

General feedback is eventually will go away - but you do seem to have a number of bridges (if correct) reporting this error oddly…. I would guess would be related to a single device which has not the correct key. THis single homekit device is connecting to multiple bridges

Check version of HKLS - upgrade as above
Have you upgraded Homekit architecture? Even if 16.2 may need to do this manually.
Check no left over devices not running 16.2
Welcome to PM a log.

& I’ll see if can find more info:

The public key is missing for the device in the state file.

First make sure your home hub is up to date. If that doesn't fix it...

You can fix it by:

Log out of iCloud on the home hub (Apple TV)
Log out of iCloud on the iPhone
Log back into iCloud on the iPhone
Log back into iCloud on the home hub

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 am
durosity offline

Just to add in case it’s relevant.. I had these messages come up too, even although there was nothing left on my system running 16.1 or lower. It turned out that my HK 16.2 upgrade hadn’t worked properly at all and it seemed to be in some weird quasi upgraded state.. but when I added an old iOS 15 device to my account I could still control devices!

I ultimately took the decision to delete my whole HomeKit home and rebuild from scratch, and it solved all the issues.. well almost all.. but either way it’s resulted in a much more stable, much quicker to respond integration with Home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:47 pm
Trwesq offline

Thank you. I appreciate the input and the thoughts. I may go ahead and start all over, but frankly, the system is working beautifully. But for the log errors shown, I would not know that anything is wrong.

Ted.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:50 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Very likely will relate to one HomeKit device that is having this issue. If you can find out which device by its IP address in the log - you can try the steps I have copied above (edited my earlier reply)

Away for a bit, so can’t be much more help for a couple of weeks

Thanks

Glenn

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:08 pm
Trwesq offline

Thank you, Glenn! Safe travels!

Ted