"Device not found" message in iOS

Posted on
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:14 am
gmoeller offline

"Device not found" message in iOS

Hi all,

Glenn, first of all thanks a lot for creating this nice plugin!

I have installed 0.3.12 and already added a number of Indigo devices to the list to be published to HomeKit.
So far, so good - in the Indigo Device list, the "HomeKit Bridge" device also shows "operational".

The problem:
When I want to add the HomeKit Bridge to Home Kit by scanning the QR code provided by the plugin, it says "Connecting to Bridge" for a long time before it stops with a "Device not found " message on my iOS (15.6) device.

I wonder if this is a known issue or if there's a way to make it work - or what I am doing wrong... :)

Thanks

Guido

Posted on
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:29 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: "Device not found" message in iOS

Hi

Is the Message “Accessory Not Found” or “Device Not Found”. ?

Presume no error messages in the log?

See;
https://github.com/Ghawken/HomeKitLink-Siri/issues/14

Particularly:
One common error occurs after scanning the QR code. While tryin to connect for 20 seconds or so, the following error is displayed: Home couldn't connect to this accessory.

This appears to result from some cache issue in the Home app as resetting homebridge (above) does not resolve the issue. This WiFi trick appears to work however:

Reset Pairing/Accessories as described above.
On your iOS device, use the Forget Network feature in your WiFi settings.
Rejoin your WiFi network.
Attempt to add the homebridge platforms/accessories as you normally would

Failing that would remove devices from bridge and try again with only one device. But log should show device errors if incorrectly added.

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 am
gmoeller offline

Hi Glenn,

thanks for the swift reply, it is actually an "Accessory not found" error in Home Kit.
As you already assumed, the plugin is operational and I see no errors in the log.

I did the WiFi "Forget network" thinks first, with no success.

After that, I deleted my current Home and started fresh with "HomeKitLinkSiri" as the first accessory - no success, same error.

I would try the "remove devices from bridge" next, is there a way to delete them all at once or have a complete re-initialisation of the plugin?

Thanks!

Guido

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:42 am
GlennNZ offline

“Accessory Not Found”

Means basically homekit can’t connect to the HKLS bridge. If the HKLS bridge is up and running without error messages then will be something more widespread.

But could try deleting your HKLS bridge devices in Indigo.
Then run the “Remove orphaned devices” from menu - this deletes individual device linkage to this bridge
Then could run remove state files from menu - this deletes any state files/encryption data left over.

Then would create new HKLS bridge in Indigo. Add a single light, something straight-forward.

Try to add this Bridge accessory to HomeKit app.
Needs to be on same wifi.

& check the github issue and/or google for other aspects
Firewall issues? Bonjour issues? Etc.etc.

If this doesn’t work - then issue becomes more of a homekit based one.
Would try other devices on the same account - eg. iPhone, iPad and see if different response.

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:41 am
gmoeller offline

Hi Glenn,

actually, erasing all the devices for HomeKitLink, deleting the HomeKitLink bridge device and adding a new bridge device does the trick.
I have added a new single device and added the HomeKitLink with the OCR, that was successful!

Apparently there was something wrong with one of my devices (I had a few devices with an german "umlaut", like ä, ö, ü and ß.
Maybe this can be the problem?

However, I will do some more testing and check!

Thanks a lot!

Guido

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:36 am
gmoeller offline

Hi Glenn,

as already supposed, there are some devices in my setup which actually seems to block the communication between HKLS and Apple HomeKit.

As an example, when I added a Fibaro Universal Sensor (FGBS321) to HKLS, it was detected as motion sensor but I changed it to Temperature Sensor.
I got no error message in the Log after saving but HLKS immediately became unresponsive from Apple HomeKit( iOS and iPadOS).
(Within Indigo, HKLS still works as usual )
After removing this specific device and restarting the plug in, everything worked fine again.

Not sure if this is helpful for diagnosis or do you want me to check some more things?

I will continue to test some more devices...

Cheers,

Guido

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:05 am
GlennNZ offline

Yep - that would do it. Shouldn’t be the name characters - they are all escaped a few versions back.

If you use the ‘show All options” checkbox - as per the info box - this can potentially break the bridge. HomeKit will not necessary let us/the plugin know that - it will simply not work anymore. Essentially as you have seen.

As per instructions if adding strange devices - and fibaro universal device is strange and not a homekit device obviously. Should add one at a time and see if bridge functions correctly.

Universal sensor - should be able to be a temperature sensor I would guess. One downside of enabling user selection, is user-breaking then also becomes a thing!
Would check which state of the universal device you are using to be the temperature sensor. (Remembering needs to have numbers only, no degree C/F for example)

Page 1 of 1