Insteon SwitchLink dimmer only allows on/off, no dimming

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 pm
GadgetComa offline

I've configured the bridge and added two SwitchLink dimmers. They are configured as Lightbulbs (not Lightbulb-Switch), but the appear in HomeKit without any dimming capability - just on/off. Under the older HomeKit Bridge plugin, they work correctly as dimmers. Is there another setting I'm missing?

Thanks,

- Leon

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:10 pm
GlennNZ offline

Ok

May be simple - or may not be that simple…

Will need the “Print Device Details to Event Log”
Click on Insteon Dimmer in question - and select this, copy and paste here.

May need to use “show All Options” in HomeKitLink bridge device edit screen and select dimmer lightbulb device in HomeKit setup.

NB: IF changing device types already known to homekit - You MUST unpublish them from Homekit - by selecting unpublish in bridge device edit screen and save. Unpublish one or all devices. Then go to homekit app on iOS - they should disappear after a minute or 2.
Once gone can re-add them as dimmer devices as above.

On re-reading your post - seems you have probably already done this. If that is the case the device details will be even more important.
The plugin makes a last minute check to see if there is a brightnessLevel — if not makes them on/off Lightbulbs (regardless of user selection as would break things otherwise), or there is a brightnessLevel — dimmer. With device details should be able to sort out quickly and add another dimmer check — once sorted — next time restart HomeKit should all be dimmers…

It is possible may be something else going on - or Insteon devices may be different to my guesses (no such devices here so reliant on above log details more than anything)

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:10 am
GlennNZ offline

Try

Adds additional check for DimmerDevice before then defaulting to lightbulb only.

I believe should be able to update, run the xattr command (as needed when update ) and your devices should be updated.
This, I believe, is special case as these are all LightBulb devices to Homekit just with different levels of function.

Any issues with those devices - unpublished, republish - as above post.

Let me know how goes:
Without the device log details though may still have issues…

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:29 am
GadgetComa offline

Re: Insteon SwitchLink dimmer only allows on/off, no dimming

Thanks for the great support! I removed and republished the dimmer and it’s working as expected now. I appreciate you adding the extra check, though.

Page 1 of 1