A couple of ideas / requests

Posted on
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:03 pm
Londonmark offline

Glenn

First many thanks for a great plugin. Working beautifully with a z-wave system.

Second, two thoughts on ways to make it even better:
1. Could the HomeKit name field auto populate with the Indigo device name? We could always type over but as a suggestion it would be good. Appreciate this might be harder than it sounds and it’s not a big deal.

2. What I would really like is to be able to specify rooms at the same time as device names. That would save quite a lot of fiddling around in the Home app.

No problem at all if these aren’t possible but great if they are!

LM

Posted on
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:15 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Londonmark wrote:
Glenn

First many thanks for a great plugin. Working beautifully with a z-wave system.

1. This could be done - and indeed was originally how I had it. But found was deleting all the text which was slightly annoying moving cursors left and then deleting - so it was a conscious decision to leave blank! I find that simple names for HomeKit work best as all devices end up Room assigned. In indigo - I have upstairs/downstairs, roomname, device naming scheme.

2. I understand if you start the app name with the Room name - HomeKit recognises this and removes the room name from the device name leaving “Light” when was “Kitchen Light” - presumably it also puts the device in the correct room? Although admit haven’t tested.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: A couple of ideas / requests

For #1 - alternatively check to see (in the validation) if the field is empty and if so just use the Indigo name. (I noticed the other day that I had a HomeKit device with no name which apparently was because of this).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:38 pm
GlennNZ offline

jay (support) wrote:
For #1 - alternatively check to see (in the validation) if the field is empty and if so just use the Indigo name. (I noticed the other day that I had a HomeKit device with no name which apparently was because of this).

Good suggestion

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm
Londonmark offline

Yes. That would work. I’m setting up a new house with a lot of a-wave lights and trying to ensure common naming across indigo and HomeKit.

Just added some more devices and even with the room name in the name they all go into default room. Easy to drag but would be neat if they did go to the right place.

None of this is a big deal! Just minor tweaks.

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:11 pm
dduff617 offline

I echo support for Jay's suggestion.

Many Indigo users (like myself) are going to go thru a "bulk import" phase when they're setting up a bridge to connect a bunch of devices that have already been named in the Indigo namespace. The current behavior of the plugin gives them a unique but unintuitive name. When adding more than a few of these to a HomeKitLink Siri Bridge device at the same time, I needed up with a group of similarly named devices in my Home app and had to walk around the house to confirm which was which, then rename them one-by-one and drag them into their correct rooms.

I agree that at least sometimes, the name that one would want to use for a device in HomeKit would not be the same as the name used in Inidgo, however it seems to me that it is at least a useful starting point.

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:24 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Jays suggestion, if I’m not mistaken, to copy the Indigoo name if homekit left blank has been implemented a while ago. I’ll double check but should be in pluginstore version.

Thanks

Glenn

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:22 am
dduff617 offline

my bad - just checked and found there was a newer version of the plugin than i was using available from the plugin store. ... so i presume this was already fixed.

Page 1 of 1