Plugin is a game changer - Can I create Virtual Switches?

Posted on
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:15 pm
macguyincali offline

Hi, this plugin has transformed my home automation game. Being able to interface my HA system via Homekit opens up all kinds of doors (literally and figuratively). The interface is so easy to use, my whole family has access and it is voice enabled. To be honest I had almost given up on my mostly Insteon system with 115 devices (mostly hard wired into the house) when my PowerLinc broke. Indigo is great, but the interface is a bit clunky (and I don't have the design or coding skills to make a slick Control Page). And really, only I had access to it in my family. With this plug-in I'm able to integrate HomeKit devices into my home automation process. Which makes HA effortless for the less tech inclined.

Now I'm looking for ways to have some communication between different systems. Does anyone know if I can create a software / virtual switch in Indigo which I can then bridge to HomeKit as an accessory? It would have multiple possible uses: I could create a button in Homekit that arms or disarms my SecuritySpy camera, for example. It could trigger an email in Indigo or a notification. It could change variables, etc.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:33 am
GlennNZ online

Re: Plugin is a game changer - Can I create Virtual Switches

macguyincali wrote:
Hi, this plugin has transformed my home automation game. Being able to interface my HA system via Homekit opens up all kinds of doors (literally and figuratively). The interface is so easy to use, my whole family has access and it is voice enabled. To be honest I had almost given up on my mostly Insteon system with 115 devices (mostly hard wired into the house) when my PowerLinc broke. Indigo is great, but the interface is a bit clunky (and I don't have the design or coding skills to make a slick Control Page). And really, only I had access to it in my family. With this plug-in I'm able to integrate HomeKit devices into my home automation process. Which makes HA effortless for the less tech inclined.

Now I'm looking for ways to have some communication between different systems. Does anyone know if I can create a software / virtual switch in Indigo which I can then bridge to HomeKit as an accessory? It would have multiple possible uses: I could create a button in Homekit that arms or disarms my SecuritySpy camera, for example. It could trigger an email in Indigo or a notification. It could change variables, etc.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi

Glad is all going well.

Virtual Switches are supported. Simply create one and add to HomeKit.

The showALL option in Homekit Link Bridge device add screen lets you add ANY indigo device, as ANY HomeKit device.
This is potentially risky - and can break the HomeKit Bridge, so tread carefully. If issues unpublish device from bridge, Save config and exit - all should be good again.

But can add:
eg. a pibeacon rpi BME280 Temperature sensor as a HomeKit Sensor.
A OccupancyIndigo device as a HomeKit Occupancy sensor
Etc.Etc.

But virtual devices can done more simply.
Also can add ActionGroups - which are Turn On only, in Homekit will Trigger and then switch off again. (AG don’t have On/Off states obviously)

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:03 pm
macguyincali offline

Hey, thanks! Meant to respond sooner. I created a virtual switch that works perfectly. It allows me to arm and disarm my SecuritySpy cameras using a virtual switch in Homekit. I can create all sorts of automations using switches that interact with Indigo from Homekit.

Of course, I'm never satisfied and am now trying more complex integrations. Here's one that I'm having a challenge with:

I have a homekit contact sensor (front gate). I'd like Indigo to be able to read its status so I can trigger indigo automations. My idea was to create a Virtual Switch called Contact Sensor which would be on or off (via automation depending on HK contact sensor status). Then Indigo would be able to read the status of that switch for whatever purpose. I can't figure out how to do this. The virtual switch I created doesn't do anything when I turn it on or off. It doesn't change status. Am I doing something weird?

-JP

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:10 pm
GlennNZ online

Hi

If I reading your question right.

You have HomeKit Sensor (unrelated to plugin or Indigo) that you are trying to get into Indigo to trigger actions etc?

Basically HomeKit does not allow HomeKit Bridges to assess other Homekit Bridges and their devices. We can’t get HomeKit native devices into Indigo because of this security.

But you are using homeKit logic which is when frontdoor sensor on = set HomeKitLink plugin device to…
That should work.
Probably will likely be Virtual Devices don’t neccesarily behave the same with regards to state. I would probably try another indigo device type, and/or create a demo device to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:22 pm
macguyincali offline

It looks like I figured out a way to do it.
- Essentially the virtual switch (Contact Sensor) I created in Indigo is now a Homekit switch of the same name.
- I created a HK automation that turns on the virtual switch to "On" when the contact sensor is triggered to on (and off when triggered to off).
- In Indigo, I have a trigger for that virtual switch, when it is on, it changes the variable (gate) to "True"
- and then I have a trigger for that variable that initiates various actions (Arm Camera, Switch to Preset to zoom on the gate).

Now that I think about it, it does seem a little clunky.

On a related note, I'm having a lot of trouble creating a functional I/O Linc HomeKitLink device. When I create the HomeKitLink version of the I/O Linc, the status doesn't update in HK. The I/O Linc is connected to a Dakota Motion Sensor for my driveway. It works (triggers) in Indigo, but the HomekitLink version does not seem to register any changes. Am I doing something wrong?

Page 1 of 1