Insteon I/O-Linc = Garage Door ?

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:21 pm
SearchCz offline

I am using an I/O-linc controller to control the magnetic lock on an entry gate I call "front gate". Whenever I try to include this device in a HomeKitLInk-Siri Bridge configuration, it gets added as device type "garage door". The problem with this is that it wipes out my ability to talk to Siri about my actual garage door, because now my HomeKit setup thinks I have two garage doors. Any chance we can get an additional device type offered for I/O-Linc controllers so they aren't automatically recognized as being garage doors?

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:29 pm
GlennNZ offline

SearchCz wrote:
I am using an I/O-linc controller to control the magnetic lock on an entry gate I call "front gate". Whenever I try to include this device in a HomeKitLInk-Siri Bridge configuration, it gets added as device type "garage door". The problem with this is that it wipes out my ability to talk to Siri about my actual garage door, because now my HomeKit setup thinks I have two garage doors. Any chance we can get an additional device type offered for I/O-Linc controllers so they aren't automatically recognized as being garage doors?
Hi

That would seem to be a pretty rare use case - the I/O-linc controllers which are not Garage doors. If I’m not mistaken.

A Couple of options:

- Can you change the device type within the HomeKit App? Sometimes there are selectable options for the device type you have selected.
(In which case shouldn’t clash with existing Garage Door)

Likely Best Option
Create a Virtual Device type, or a new device copying the current with Masquerade plugin or similar.
Publish this to HomeKitLink Bridge as a switch.

Or: Failing that.. more risky approach, which may break bridge..

You can try removing the device from the HKLS bridge.
Save config dialog restarting bridge.
&
Then add it again
But select - Show all options
& Add select which type you wish it to be - likely a switch.

The problem here (without checking code-base)- is it may not control it successfully as actions on the I/O Linc devices is problematic and also depends which output should be controlled.
Have checked code - and will switch input 0 (typically that of the garage door I/O Linc controller) correctly if a switch like device. If another output in use won’t work.

Hence a Masquerade type device would be ideal - or a Virtual Device

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:37 pm
Monstergerm offline

Re: Insteon I/O-Linc = Garage Door ?

Actually, I/O-Linc controllers can have many uses since they are great for controlling low voltage relays. I have a bunch of them to trigger opening and closing of drapes.

The way I get around the HomeKit issue is to have an Indigo Action to open the drapes and another Indigo Action to close the drapes.
Type: Turn On Output (Input/Output Controls)
Device: your gate I/O linc
Output: output 1

I then add those actions instead of the actual device to HKL-S.

Posted on
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:38 am
SearchCz offline

Monstergerm wrote:
Actually, I/O-Linc controllers can have many uses since they are great for controlling low voltage relays. I have a bunch of them to trigger opening and closing of drapes.

The way I get around the HomeKit issue is to have an Indigo Action to open the drapes and another Indigo Action to close the drapes.
Type: Turn On Output (Input/Output Controls)
Device: your gate I/O linc
Output: output 1

I then add those actions instead of the actual device to HKL-S.

I have te indigo actions set up as you describe. I also wanted the device in HK, though I'm not sure why. I don't think I need it.

Posted on
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:44 am
SearchCz offline

GlennNZ wrote:
SearchCz wrote:
Hi

That would seem to be a pretty rare use case - the I/O-linc controllers which are not Garage doors. If I’m not mistaken.

A Couple of options:

- Can you change the device type within the HomeKit App? Sometimes there are selectable options for the device type you have selected.
(In which case shouldn’t clash with existing Garage Door)

Likely Best Option
Create a Virtual Device type, or a new device copying the current with Masquerade plugin or similar.
Publish this to HomeKitLink Bridge as a switch.

Or: Failing that.. more risky approach, which may break bridge..

You can try removing the device from the HKLS bridge.
Save config dialog restarting bridge.
&
Then add it again
But select - Show all options
& Add select which type you wish it to be - likely a switch.

The problem here (without checking code-base)- is it may not control it successfully as actions on the I/O Linc devices is problematic and also depends which output should be controlled.
Have checked code - and will switch input 0 (typically that of the garage door I/O Linc controller) correctly if a switch like device. If another output in use won’t work.

Hence a Masquerade type device would be ideal - or a Virtual Device

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So that's what "show all options" does! I think that's going to cover about half of my needs, since these IO-Linc devices are like two-in-one. (I use one pair of leads to control the mag lock, and the other pair of leads to detect the open/close status of the gate). Maybe I'll try setting up a couple of virtual devices.

Page 1 of 1