Transitioning slowly from HomeKit Bridge

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:34 am
vtmikel offline

Hello-

I'm planning to transition to HomeKitLink Siri over time. For those of us coming from HomekitBridge, is there a way to ensure that the two plugins do not clash?

I can initially run both plugins, and the devices are responsive in the Home app. After some time, HomekitBridge devices will stop responding. A restart of the plugin resolves. Anyone else experiencing this?

Is there a port setting or something that would allow the two plugins to co-exist?

Mike

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:43 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

There is a port setting in the plugin config - which really I wouldn’t change unless you know what you are doing, or there is a particularly port error being received.

HomeKitLink checks for in use ports and moves up one as needed (this is particularly useful if have 50 bridges running or so). It starts well away from the usual HomekitBridge port - so this would not be issue.

I do not believe there would be any clashing - and indeed I have had both running for a while in the past. HomekitBridge - did have some intermittent problems and suspect you are seeing this rather than a true clash - but I could be mistaken!

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Transitioning slowly from HomeKit Bridge

I was pretty worried about the transition, but have to say that HKLS is WAY more robust than HKB. I didn't have both running at the same time, but moving everything over was just not a significant problem for me. Unless you have a large number of HomeKit automations using Indigo devices published to HKB, I doubt you'll have trouble either. Also if you DO have a large number of HomeKit automations using Indigo devices published to HKB, I have to wonder "why?"

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:18 am
SearchCz offline

Different Computers wrote:
I was pretty worried about the transition, but have to say that HKLS is WAY more robust than HKB. I didn't have both running at the same time, but moving everything over was just not a significant problem for me. Unless you have a large number of HomeKit automations using Indigo devices published to HKB, I doubt you'll have trouble either. Also if you DO have a large number of HomeKit automations using Indigo devices published to HKB, I have to wonder "why?"

HomeKit automation allow me to provide Indigo with visibility to my devices that are otherwise visible only in HomeKit.

1) create virtual device in Indigo
2) publish that device via Homekit Bridge
3) manipulate the published virtual device's state in response to changes in the HomeKit "actual" device sate changes

Posted on
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:15 pm
Different Computers offline

Yup, I do that too.

I was thinking of for example where you want a light that exists in Indigo to turn on at a given time, and you automate that in HomeKit rather than Indigo.

There's just no reason to do that.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 pm
SearchCz offline

Different Computers wrote:
Yup, I do that too.

I was thinking of for example where you want a light that exists in Indigo to turn on at a given time, and you automate that in HomeKit rather than Indigo.

There's just no reason to do that.

Yeah, I can’t Imagine moving that logic over to HomeKit.

Anyways, my Homekit Bridge implementation tanked today, so I migrated over to Homekit Siri. Easy peasy!

Page 1 of 1