Thermostat Icon States

Posted on
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 pm
7rdr7 offline

Thermostat Icon States

I'm using HKL for multiple thermostats (physical and virtual), and all are operating properly. The only issue that I have observed is that the icons do not show the correct changes in state. Native HomeKit thermostat icons indicate the following states: "Cooling to 75" when the system is operating, and "Cool to 75" when the system has reached target temperature, the icon also displays a status color (blue-cool operating, orange-heat operating, green-target temperature reached), whereas my HKL instance always shows the thermostat "Cooling to" or "Heating to" along with the appropriate color (blue/orange) even if temperature has been reached and the system has stopped operating.

Posted on
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:57 am
GlennNZ offline

Re: Thermostat Icon States

Hi

Glad working well, minus the icon changes not happening.

I can replicate what you are seeing - just not sure whether worth the time and effort to try to fix - some thought processes below..

After looking at it in a lot of detail - I’m guessing the icon state must be based on the fan state that HomeKit wants to receive. Essentially I don’t send the fan state as not a Indigo Thermostat option - well not in the same way.

I’m guessing:
That if Heat_auto is on.
Temperature reached.
This alone doesn’t seem to change icon, which is disappointing as you would guess perhaps it should?

I’m guessing that what it want is the above:
Plus Fan.State = idle. As opposed to Heat or Cool as when not idle.

Problem is would need to add fan to all HomeKit Thermostats - and then fan controls wouldn’t do much with the Indigo Thermostat device. (As Indigo thermostat doesn’t have same level of fan control). But could communicate back to HomeKit potentially updating the icons….

I’ll give it some thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:30 am
7rdr7 offline

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'll do a little more digging. I'm thinking that it's not the fan as I have an Ecobee thermostat controlling a gas fireplace in "boiler mode" (no fan), and it's included directly in HomeKit supporting the correct status, I did try to run the Indigo Ecobee2 plugin though HKL, and the states didn't work on the same fireplace thermostat, so I went back to direct HomeKit.
I know there's a way, I just need to figure out what flag the Indigo plugins (Ecobee2 & Unistat) are setting when the thermostat hits target. Maybe I can create a trigger to accomplish the goal.
Thanks again for taking a look.

Posted on
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:11 pm
GlennNZ offline

Thermostat Icon States

Ok
That’s useful info.

It’s possible that it is achievable using the currentHeatingState, I’ll continue to have a look… If that is the case should be much more doable….

Last edited by GlennNZ on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:23 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Thanks for the pointers.

Think I have sorted/fixed - try 0.3.20 uploaded now.

Seems to work on my testing…. let me know if any issues have creep in….

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:31 am
7rdr7 offline

Thanks Glenn! Really appreciate your efforts. Seems to work perfectly.

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:17 am
7rdr7 offline

Weird, it worked for a while, then went back to the prior state. If I set the thermostat mode from "heat" to "off", then back to "heat", it works again. It seems to be the refresh cycle that causes the issue too reappear. When setting the initial mode it seems to fetch the correct state, but on refresh it seems to fetch the incorrect state.

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:06 pm
GlennNZ offline

Thermostat Icon States

Thanks - I like the first answer better!

I’ll have a look and see what I might have missed.

Edit:
Nothing obvious and the check with change in mode is the same as checks that occur with other change in activity.

Seems to be working fine still with my testing, Example Thermostat from SDK’s changing every second - and it is altering correctly.

Are all the devices Indigo Thermostats? Otherwise that may be the issue if they don’t set CoolerIsOn and HeaterIsOn flags as that what we are referencing here.

What particularly mode are you seeing this on? Heat?

Refresh Cycle- you mean when gets updated temperature? Or are you referring to something else

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:23 pm
7rdr7 offline

"I like the first answer better!", so did I :lol:

"Are all the devices Indigo Thermostats? "

- The first device is an Indigo Unistat plugin virtual thermostat. It is the one that if I set the mode "off", then to "Heat" it starts operating correctly until a refresh, then it returns to the issue.
- The second device is a Qubino ZMNKID3 z-wave thermostat module. It still has the original issue and doesn't react to changing the mode. This thermostat, although works, is not officially supported by Indigo. This one isn't important as I purchased it to see if a physical thermostat device would work, versus an Indigo Plugin based thermostat.
- The third device is an Indigo Ecobee2 plugin thermostat. It functions the same as the first device. It works, then a HomeKit refresh returns the issue. This is the one that I referenced in my prior message. It is also not important as it also has direct HomeKit support, but I used it as a test case.

The first device (Indigo Unistat Plugin) is the most important as that is my pool heater ;)

"What particularly mode are you seeing this on? Heat?"

- Yes, Heat, but Cool as well.

"Refresh Cycle- you mean when gets updated temperature? Or are you referring to something else"

- The refresh I'm referring to is when you leave the Home app and then return, you can see that the Home app does a refresh of all device states. It also does the same refresh if you swipe out the Home app, and then return, also triggering a refresh.

It's like it gets its initial state from one source, then it's update from another source.

Thanks again for looking into the problem.

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:59 pm
GlennNZ offline

Thanks

Understand. Was thinking something different as to meaning of refresh.

Can guess what is happening - should be able to sort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:57 pm
GlennNZ offline

Ok.
Hopefully, 2nd (?) time’s a charm

Try 0.3.21
Think have it sorted.

(Given my test thermostat updates every couple of seconds wasn’t seeing the enter issues)

Posted on
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:11 am
7rdr7 offline

That seems to have done it. Thanks again!
BTW, I tested it with both the Unistat plugin and the Qubino ZMNKID3, and both worked perfectly.

Page 1 of 1