camera feeds

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:50 am
GlennNZ offline

camera feeds

Hi

Thanks

The images - I think I have described either here on GitHub the pros and cons of current approach

Basically there is a single indigo plug-in thread managing images - this does nothing unless a HomeKit app is open somewhere wishing an image.

This to my mind is a good compromise as doesn’t matter whether 1 camera or 22 - and has NO impact on HomeKit other devices.

When an image is requested / the camera thread pulls an image from the camera and saves image locally. Meanwhile it gives HomeKit the previous image - as don’t want to hang HomeKit until image ready.

This means that images are always one cycle behind - if cycle 10 seconds then not noticeable, if cycle 60s then need 2 cycles to get most update image

So to some extent expected - and only other solution would be to pull images constantly (lots of overhead) so instantly available or wait for first image (will hang the whole HomeKit bridge until completed - and continue to hang as well for that matter)

&

New devices;

Yep they appear instantly all going well:

The other trick is they will appear in the default room for the HomeKitLink bridge that you have added them to. (This default room is created when you add the bridge by user selection).

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:39 am
agame offline

Re: camera feeds

I think you are most likely right - your explanation dawned on me in the car so was hoping i would beat you to it!

Understand your rationale for being conservative on refresh rates (though populating at least the initial thumbnails faster would add usability).

My overriding use case for HomeKit is an automatic rural vehicle gate at the edge of WIFI coverage - the Indigo app is a real nightmare to open when switching between wifi and cellular - generally needs to be killed and restarted all of which probably takes a minute at least. The HomeKit approach is instantaneous. Its slightly disconcerting not to see the car appear at the gate during this process but is something i can live with!

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:31 pm
MarcoGT offline

I have one camera that is not loaded into Home App but is perfectly visible inside SecuritySpy.
I just get the default image

What shall I check?

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:39 pm
GlennNZ offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I have one camera that is not loaded into Home App but is perfectly visible inside SecuritySpy.
I just get the default image

What shall I check?

There are a few presumptions here, based on your:
“I just get the default image”

Presumptions:
You have installed HomeKitLink?
As per install instructions - You have installed cryptography. And run the xattr quarantine command?
You have created a HomeKitLink bridge device?
You have added the security Spy camera as a SS device to the HKLS bridge?
You have added the HKLS bridge accessory to HomeKit?
& &
You have no errors or otherwise from Indigo HKLS
You have other devices that you are controlling using the HKLS bridge without issue (eg. The bridge hasn’t been borked by trying to make a light bulb a Camera (actually checks for that now…))

If the above has happened.

1. First would update to 0.3.3 fixes a issue with some SS installs

2. Would rerun the xattr quarantine command to make sure

3. Would try again with the camera device without audio.

4. After trying to display the camera stream in HomeKit app - Would run the Menu item - run ffmpeg command for logging - something similar - this runs the camera call uses ffmpeg - but does so in a fashion that indigo can log the output. May give an obvious error..

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:21 am
MarcoGT offline

The problem was only with camera, all other 5 were working fine, I could see them in Home App as in SS.
But now it works without having done absolutely nothing.

Thank you :)

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm
7rdr7 offline

My transition to Homekitlink continues to go very well! I've just switched my cameras over from HomeKit Bridge to HomeKitLink, and although they are working, the refresh time is 60s versus 10s. On the HKB they were refreshing at 10s, and from what I read on this post they should refresh in 10s on HKL. Did I miss something?
Thanks again for the great plugin!

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:04 pm
GlennNZ offline

Refresh time is set by the HomeKit App - as it is the frequency HomeKit App is requesting a image. It seems to on Network type of connection and App factors I would gather…. It may also change with different iOS versions.

Different between iPad, iphone, local network, external etc.

But nothing missed, or changeable regarding.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:43 am
7rdr7 offline

The benefit of deleting everything with my other problem, now has the cameras refreshing @ 10s intervals! All is good!