HomeKit temperature conversion

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2022 10:11 pm
Ramias offline

I have a temperature device (Aeon labs multi sensor) reporting 59.9 degrees Fahrenheit to indigo. Shows up in HomeKit as 140 degrees F.

Basically indigo gives a value to the plug-in in F. Plug-in assumes it is in Celsius and passes that to Apple which then upscales to a very hot 140 degrees.

Not sure where to change this, if possible.
Last edited by Ramias on Sat May 14, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2022 10:57 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Ideally post issues on github, with device details and logging, ideally device specific logging capturing some changes in temp.

HomeKitLink does minimal temperature conversions, except for thermostat's - which has a selectable use F or use C in config dialog. Would be straight forward to add that to temperature Sensors.

I think I see what the issue is - you can have temperature sensor in any 0-1000 degree range. They all work and display fine - but if change iOS temp display preference to F - upscales them all presuming they have all been given in Celsius it would seem ...

Bugger. I’ll update plugin in next 1/2 hr or so. Had hoped to avoid need to convert all. Basically once updated re select temperature sensor and check temperature in F.

Update to 0.3.1 Release usual spot.

Glenn
Last edited by GlennNZ on Sat May 14, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 5:24 am
Ramias offline

Re: HomeKit burning up (extremely hot temperature conversion

Thank you. That has cooled things down significantly.

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 5:50 am
GlennNZ offline

That’s good. There were some moderate changes to temperature device - hopefully holds up.

I’m reminded of this issue - I had perused other implementation issues to get a feel…
“The way that HomeKit does all the C/F stuff gets a bit confusing. It wants everything sent in C, then your prefs will convert it to F but also when you send it, even though it requires it to be in C it also gives you the option of saying it's C or F. Confused?

I had read earlier - but perhaps not quite understood.

It is odd - because we don’t mark the temperature anywhere as Fahrenheit. Not for the temperatureSensor anyway…. Presumably it coverts temp that it thinks it needs to, to Celsius (or perhaps all of them). and then back to F depending on display settings.
Can’t quite figure out though it I had a water temperatureSensor that got to 100 degrees Celsius — would it wrongly convert that? Or only depending on display settings…

Anyhow think this will hold up - or otherwise can just convert us to something universal like Kelvin units…. The way the planet is going probably more future proof…

Page 1 of 1