Stumped to be sure in setting up

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:56 am
BruceP offline

Stumped to be sure in setting up

Over the past few hours I have been trying different email accounts to get an email sent. All I have received is error messages. I have separately logged into my email accounts to verify that all information is correct. Have gone online to get the appropriate ports and related information

I receive this error message when using my Cox Communications email - Email+ Error Email+ SMTP Server: SMTP server connection error: encoding with 'idna' codec failed (UnicodeError: label empty or too long)

When using my iCloud email - Email+ Error Email+ SMTP Server: SMTP server connection error: (535, b'5.7.8 Error: authentication failed')

Cox info is: SMTP host smtp.cox.net. Port 465, Encryption StartTLS

iCloud info is: SMTP host smtp.mail.me.com, Port 587, Encryption StartTLS

Any assistance will be welcome,

Thank you

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:22 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Stumped to be sure in setting up

First, have you set up IMAP or POP devices for these providers? Because if they work, using the same authentication credentials, that confirms that it's not really an auth issue.

For iCloud email, you cannot use your normal iCloud login for the plugin. You need to get an app-specific password. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

I would try port 587 for Cox. 465 is deprecated and should not be used anymore (unless that's the only port the ISP supports).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:20 am
BruceP offline

Re: Stumped to be sure in setting up

Sorry for the late response. Due to other surprising goings-on I have not been able to get to this project. Will try again this weekend.

Again thank you.

Page 1 of 1