Default dimming level of ZWave dimmer

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:15 am
donhoffman offline

Default dimming level of ZWave dimmer

I may be missing something obvious, but is there a way to configure a ZWave dimmer in Alexa so that when saying "Alexa, Turn on <dimmer name>" it turns on a default level other than 100%. Always saying the desired default dim level every time has low WAF.

Insteon dimmers appear to work the way I wish, If it set a default level of say 60% in the Indigo config for that dimmer, both turning on via paddle and turning on via Alexa default to turning on that that level. ZWave dimmers typically have a "Custom" level that can be used as the default level when turning on via paddle single click, but this does not surface in Alexa. Understand that this may not be part of the common Indigo data model for ZWave dimmers, but achieving some sort of parallel behavior would be useful.

Any ideas on how to do this now, or is this a new feature request? I have a similar issue with HomeKitLink Siri, but mostly use Alexa for day to day use.

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Default dimming level of ZWave dimmer

Z-Wave dimmers vary widely in their config options. Some of the higher-end switches allow you to set default brightness separately for manual operation and for remote command operation. Others have a single setting for both. Still others don't have config params at all and will always turn on to the last brightness it was before being turned off.

The Alexa plugin has nothing to do with this, it's all based on the capabilities/configuration of the switch.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1