(#noobquestion) Using Echo Dot with Indigo

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:29 pm
wi_pedaler offline

(#noobquestion) Using Echo Dot with Indigo

I have no Amazon smart devices, but with the current Prime Day deal on an Echo Dot (4th Gen), I'm considering adding one for limited use with Indigo, and mainly for increasing SAF for simple stuff like lighting commands.

Q: Assuming I RTFM (read the [fine] manual) regarding setup and config with Indigo, will I need any other devices, hubs, relays, gateways, subscriptions or prescriptions in order to do simple voice commands like "Alexa, turn on Dining Room "?

Somewhat related:
We've moved mostly to (pricey) ZWave devices, so
Q: Can the Amazon Smart Plug integrate with Indigo for simple applications like lamp on/off?

Thank you!

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: (#noobquestion) Using Echo Dot with Indigo

wi_pedaler wrote:
Q: Assuming I RTFM (read the [fine] manual) regarding setup and config with Indigo, will I need any other devices, hubs, relays, gateways, subscriptions or prescriptions in order to do simple voice commands like "Alexa, turn on Dining Room "?

You need an active Indigo Reflector (which is part of an active Indigo Up-to-Date subscription). Other than that, you only need an Echo (or other Alexa-enabled device).

wi_pedaler wrote:
Q: Can the Amazon Smart Plug integrate with Indigo for simple applications like lamp on/off?

That device is a WiFi device and AFAIK there aren't any plugins to control those. If you are already using Z-Wave, you should just get a Z-Wave wall wart.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1