Alexa Plug-in with Venstar/Insteon Thermostat Adapter

Posted on
Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:44 am
goodgrapes offline

Alexa Plug-in with Venstar/Insteon Thermostat Adapter

After publishing my Venstar/Insteon Thermostat Adapter in the Alexa Plugin, it’s not showing up on my Echo Show Smart Home Screen. It does show up in the Alexa App, but I’m not sure it’s passing all the details? For example, the Indigo logs don’t list a SubType for the Thermostat device.

All other devices are working fine and the thermostat works with the HomeKit plug-in fine.

Is this Insteon Adapter not supported by the Native Alexa Plug in? Any suggestions?

Thx
Attachments
55B2E35C-3B07-41AE-83FF-753B70FBF169.jpeg
55B2E35C-3B07-41AE-83FF-753B70FBF169.jpeg (145.62 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

Posted on
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alexa Plug-in with Venstar/Insteon Thermostat Adapter

That's very odd, I used an Insteon Thermostat during development of the plugin as my example thermostat, so it should definitely work. And I just tested again and it's working fine, so there's definitely something specific to your setup. I will admit to never actually testing the Echo Show (I don't have one), so I don't know it ever worked there. Can you control it via voice?

Thermostats don't have subtypes, which is why it says "other".

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:20 pm
goodgrapes offline

Jay, I changed the Thermostat from Auto (Heat/Cool Point) to Heat per your doc. I asked Alexa for the thermostat status and it replied “Set to Heat”. So it appears it’s responding to some commands. That said, the thermostat shows up in my Alexa devices, however I can’t add it to my Favorites and it does t show up on my list of Smart Home devices on the Echo Show 15. It only shows up in the Alexa App. Previously, I was using the Alexa Hue Bridge, but I disabled that plug in when I switch to the native Alexa plug in, so I’m not sure what could be conflicting? Indigo shows no dependencies.

Thoughts?

Posted on
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I honestly don't know why it's not showing in the Echo Show - our implementation goal was to support Echo devices as a voice control, so we didn't test with Echo devices that provide a screen UI. I will add investigating that to the feature request list, though you are the first to notice that it doesn't show any UI in the Echo Show devices.

The Alexa Hue Bridge plugin doesn't support thermostats, only switches (because it mimics a Philips Hue bridge, which doesn't support thermostats), so I'm not sure how it was working before.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:21 pm
goodgrapes offline

FYI - The thermostat doesn’t show up on the screen on either an Echo Show 5 or 15. Via voice I can only ask the following:

- Alexa what is the Thermostat set to? Heat
- Alexa Set the thermostat temperature to XX. Ok
- All other commands are not understood

Not a big deal, but a nice to have if you could adjust the thermostat on the Echo Show screens.

Page 1 of 1