Which "Alexa" Device?

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:13 am
whmoorejr offline

Which "Alexa" Device?

Somewhere in the communication between Alexa - Skill - Plugin - Indigo.... does the Alexa Plugin see which "Alexa" device initiated the command?

No = Well, crap.

Yes = Can that be triggered off of or is there a way to ignore a specific device?

My issue: Super happy with the plugin. I'm finally closing out all my Alexa-Hue devices and my Alexa-Node-Red devices in favor of this plugin. <-- I can't overstate how happy I am with the plugin.

The downside, Amazon did a firmware update that puts a "Device Dashboard" on every fire tablet. This feature can't be removed or restricted with parental controls. So the 6 year old and the 13 year old with ADHD (when in doubt, just hit random buttons), have full access to any indigo device I publish. So, I'm trying to figure out a work-around to ignore commands initiated from kid tablets.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Which "Alexa" Device?

Unfortunately no, it’s not included in the message payload.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:31 pm
whmoorejr offline

No worries. the "Device Dashboard" button is a hot topic on the fire tablet forums. There are several of us that are hoping that it will be added to the list of things that can be restricted under parental controls in a firmware update. With parental controls, you can turn off Alexa... which I had been doing on all "kid" tablets but you can't restrict the "Device Dashboard" button.

Bill

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

whmoorejr wrote:
With parental controls, you can turn off Alexa... which I had been doing on all "kid" tablets but you can't restrict the "Device Dashboard" button.

That seems like a pretty large oversight...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:22 pm
mundmc offline

whmoorejr wrote:
I'm finally closing out all my Alexa-Hue devices and my Alexa-Node-Red devices in favor of this plugin. <-- I can't overstate how happy I am with the plugin.

That’s high praise! [mention]whmoorejr [/mention] you
are/were one of the Node-Indigo chief proponents!

I gotta get on this upgrade.

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:30 pm
whmoorejr offline

Re: Which

mundmc wrote:
Node-Indigo chief proponents!

The only devices I still have in Node-Red are faux Motion Sensors. I can use those to initiate (trigger) an Alexa routine. I'm trying to figure out how to read a variable from a routine so I can combine that all into one action....

The Goal: Action -> update variable with new message , fake motion on - delay - off , routine fires , Alexa reads updated variable.

Bill

Page 1 of 1