Alexa transition

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:14 am
jalves offline

Alexa transition

I've completed the upgrade to 2021.1 but seem to be having difficulty with Alexa Integration.

Prior to 2021.1, I was using the Alexa-Hue plugin and had published ~30 devices through that. I've told Alexa to remove all existing devices., which it does. Then I've run discovery only to find the old devices are back. Even with the old skill disabled, they devices returned. Have tried this several times and they keep coming back. Have stopped the Indigo server. Deleted devices.. Restarted server. Discover devices, and the old ones are back.

Also tried stopping the server, deleting the devices in Alexa, leaving the serve off, told Alexa to restart, and the devices again returned. I

Does this indicate that there is another incidence of the server running on my system? Perhaps the one from 7.5? How would I find and delete that?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alexa transition

I would definitely suspect another instance of Indigo somewhere. However, because of how activation works, I would expect it to be 7.0 since anything newer would require activation and you can only activate a single Indigo Server per license (though if you have multiple licenses then that might be the case). Also it's highly unlikely to be on the same Mac so look at any other Mac you might have on your network, perhaps one that used to have Indigo on it (or may have had Indigo on it temporarily for some reason).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:10 am
neilk offline

Jeff,
I had similar, with the devices re-appearing (also including from some other skills I disabled as part of a clean up). I still have a harmony hub I cannot get rid of. I suspect the Alexa app/web interface doesn’t always correctly complete the removal process, especially if it is a lot of devices (I had over 200).

I had to repeat the process a couple of times and they (harmony aside) eventually went, at one point the web Ui slowly started reporting success deleting device by device in a message even though I had done it minutes earlier.

Neil

Posted on
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:19 am
MartinG offline

neilk wrote:
Jeff,
I suspect the Alexa app/web interface doesn’t always correctly complete the removal process, especially if it is a lot of devices

This. I had the same behaviour using the NodeRed implementation, and before enabling the Indigo Alexa integration

Alexa is notoriously poor at managing its cache of active devices.

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:01 am
jalves offline

Well, I'm still stumped.
    I've checked all other computers in the house and there are no Indigo servers running on any of them.
    Just to be sure, I physically turned them off as well.
    I also shut down the Indigo Server and then the Indigo Client App on my main computer.
    Went to alexa.amazon.com and told it to delete all devices
    Verified that all devices were deleted.
    Ran Discovery and the old alex hue bridge devices returned.

Jeff

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I really don't know what to recommend honestly. The new Alexa plugin doesn't know anything about the old AHB plugin and doesn't use any of the same information, so there's no way it's doing it.

How long did you wait after removing all devices before you rediscovered? Maybe remove them, wait an hour, then discover again? We definitely know that Alexa has some serious issues with device caching, so maybe removing and allowing time for all other devices to refresh their cache will help.

One other thing perhaps: shut down all Macs in the house, including your Indigo server. Then, from an iOS device, remove devices, wait a while, then rerun discovery. If there are no Macs running anywhere on your network and the devices still get discovered, then you know for a fact that Alexa is doing something wrong and it would be time to contact Amazon.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:50 pm
ryanbuckner offline

jalves wrote:
Well, I'm still stumped.
    I've checked all other computers in the house and there are no Indigo servers running on any of them.
    Just to be sure, I physically turned them off as well.
    I also shut down the Indigo Server and then the Indigo Client App on my main computer.
    Went to alexa.amazon.com and told it to delete all devices
    Verified that all devices were deleted.
    Ran Discovery and the old alex hue bridge devices returned.

Try manually removing a few of the devices from the Amazon UI rather than "remove all devices" . That's the way I got mine to work.

Posted on
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:34 am
jalves offline

Thanks Matt & Ryan for the additional suggestions. I'll give those a try over the weekend.

Jeff

Posted on
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:43 am
neilk offline

Jeff,
One other thing to look at, I have been trying to disable the native Alexa integration from my physical Hue Hubs (I have 3) and one of them keeps re-appearing. I have 12 Ikea GU10 lamps in one room, and I group them under a single virtual device and don't want to see them individually for voice control (and naming gets messy) but they keep re-appearing so it does seem to be a quirk of the Alexa system and these are real devices not from the earlier plugin. I will also be playing over the weekend trying to get this how I want it so will keep you posted if I spot anything.
Neil

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:44 pm
Seabiskit offline

Hi,
Have you had any luck getting the Alexa Hue Bridge devices to go away for good? I've tried everything listed here but they keep coming back.
Indigo is only running on one Mac (the only Mac it has ever been installed on).
Thanks!
Tim

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:13 pm
jalves offline

I'm slowly getting there. As suggested by @neilk above I deleted a handful of devices from the Alexa app and then waited a few days. Tried discovery and they stayed deleted!

Now working on taking out the remaining 17 devices.

Jeff

Posted on
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:57 pm
sarahcat offline

I removed my Alexa-Hue emulation devices, after my upgrade to Indigo 2021 and recreated them with the internal Alexa plug-in. Thank you very much!

Is there any reason to retain the Alexa-Hue Bridge, after moving my active devices to the internal Alexa plug-in?

I can't think of any reason to keep it, other than the nostalgia about how useful it was for so long.

Final question, I still have an Amazon Echo v.1 in service. My assumption is that if I no longer use and remove the Alexa-Hue Bridge, whether or not I continue to use the Echo v.1 will have no impact on my new Indigo native Alexa operability. Is that correct, i.e., that the Echo v.1 is not required?

Posted on
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, the Echo v1 isn't required, but it will still work with the new skill.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:24 am
sarahcat offline

Thanks! It's just comforting that if it dies, I won't be haunting eBay to find one.

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:58 pm
sarahcat offline

I removed my Alexa-Hue emulation devices, after my upgrade to Indigo 2021 and recreated them with the internal Alexa plug-in. Thank you very much!

Is there any reason to retain the Alexa-Hue Bridge, after moving my active devices to the internal Alexa plug-in?

I can't think of any reason to keep it, other than the nostalgia about how useful it was for so long.