Variable issue

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:12 am
ryanbuckner offline

Variable issue

I'm getting mixed results when asking for variables.

Sometimes it works and other times I get "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Indigo Skills skill right now "

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Variable issue

[MODERATOR NOTE]: Split to a new topic since it's a different issue.

A couple of questions:

1) Is that the exact wording of the message?
2) Is this when you ask for a variable value or for a list of variables (or both)?
3) Does the error only happen after 6+ minutes of inactivity? In other words, does this only happen after you haven't asked Alexa to do anything from Indigo (control device, run action, get variable) for over 6 minutes, then once you get the error if you try again immediately it works?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:44 am
ryanbuckner offline

jay (support) wrote:
[MODERATOR NOTE]: Split to a new topic since it's a different issue.

A couple of questions:

1) Is that the exact wording of the message?
2) Is this when you ask for a variable value or for a list of variables (or both)?
3) Does the error only happen after 6+ minutes of inactivity? In other words, does this only happen after you haven't asked Alexa to do anything from Indigo (control device, run action, get variable) for over 6 minutes, then once you get the error if you try again immediately it works?

1) The exact wording of the message is "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Indigo Skills skill right now ".

2) Variable value. I asked, "Alexa, ask Indigo to read if garage doors are open". The variable name is "if_garage_doors_are_open" based on the example in the docs "Alexa, ask Indigo to read “current_weather_conditions”"

3) I successfully had Alexa turn on the Island Lights and then made the request above immediately after.

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 am
FlyingDiver offline

I do wonder if having the "if" in the name is causing Alexa to try to apply that to the skill rather than as part of the name.

Try renaming the variable.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:36 pm
ryanbuckner offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I do wonder if having the "if" in the name is causing Alexa to try to apply that to the skill rather than as part of the name.

Try renaming the variable.

I renamed the variable "garage_door_status" and got the same result. To test the 6 min theory I used the skill to turn on and off a few lights, then tried again. Same result:

"Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Indigo Skills skill right now ".

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Turn on debugging in the Alexa menu, then perform the command again. Copy/paste anything that shows up as a result.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 am
ryanbuckner offline

jay (support) wrote:
Turn on debugging in the Alexa menu, then perform the command again. Copy/paste anything that shows up as a result.

Same reply from Alexa. Here's the debug:

Code: Select all
Jun 28, 2021 at 11:55:18 AM
   Alexa Debug                     variable_actions API call received
   Alexa                           request the value of variable 'garage_door_status'
   Alexa Debug                     reply:
{"speak_string": "<Both garage doors are closed", "status": "success", "variable_name": "garage door status", "variable_name_mangled": "garage_door_status"}

Looks like we found the issue. The "<" somehow got in there and confused Alexa

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Strings that go back to Alexa may contain SSML - a markup language similar to HTML. When it found an unbalanced < it literally threw the baby out with the bath water. This is their approach to everything: the slightest thing that they don't expect causes a general failure rather than using some intelligence.

I'll make a note of it in the Troubleshooting section of the docs.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1