Alexa won't discover new devices since Indigo 2021.1

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 pm
Butch2427 offline

Alexa won't discover new devices since Indigo 2021.1

I'm stumped and looking for direction. The Indigo 2021.1 upgrade went smoothy on my dedicated mac mini 2018. I disabled the old Alexa Hue bridge. I added a few devices for publication via the new Alexa plugin. My Indigo smart skill shows "linked" to my sole reflector. When I try to discover the devices either by voice at my echo dot, via the amazon app or the web browser the result is always the same, "I'm unable to find any new devices". I can see in the Indigo event log that a request was received and replied but still nothing. Any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 11.15.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 11.15.52 AM.png (64.53 KiB) Viewed 2937 times

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alexa won't discover new devices since Indigo 2021.1

Did you read through the Troubleshooting section of the Alexa Plugin docs? There are several tips there that might help.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:39 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Did you read through the Troubleshooting section of the Alexa Plugin docs? There are several tips there that might help.

Yes, I did use the troubleshooting guide but did not find a solution. One interesting thing to note: I was able to verbally execute an action group, even though Alexa stated she was having trouble with the Indigo skill. It seems clear that communication is taking place back and forth (based event log info) but I still can't discover any individual devices.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 1.33.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 1.33.29 PM.png (59.26 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Executing actions is different than controlling devices.

Indigo is successfully returning device discoveries. Do you see the devices in the Alexa app? What happens when you try to control them? You should see Event Log entries when the plugin receives a control message from Alexa.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Also, did you remove all your devices from the Alexa Hue Bridge before discovering from the plugin as mentioned in the Migrating section?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:08 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Also, did you remove all your devices from the Alexa Hue Bridge before discovering from the plugin as mentioned in the Migrating section?

jay (support) wrote:
Executing actions is different than controlling devices.

Indigo is successfully returning device discoveries. Do you see the devices in the Alexa app? What happens when you try to control them? You should see Event Log entries when the plugin receives a control message from Alexa.

The devices can't been seen nor controlled in the Alexa app since they are never discovered. Yes, I deleted them from the alexa app prior to attempting discovery. I've also tried to discover devices that were never in my alexa app just to rule out conflicts.

Posted on
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting. The plugin is responding to the discovery request, so for some reason Alexa isn't doing the right thing with the response.

Time for a full reset:

1. Disable the Indigo Smart Home Skill in the Alexa app/web site
  2. On the Authorizations page of your Indigo Account, revoke the Alexa Service Authorization
  3. Remove all devices in the Alexa app - it's most easily done on the Alexa web page since you can just click the Remove All button
  4. Wait for a few minutes (Alexa seems to have some caching issues, so waiting for a while seems to allow the device removals to propagate)
  5. Confirm that the Alexa Hue Bridge isn't running; also confirm that you don't have any other native Alexa smart home skills enabled (like for instance the Hue Skill) - name conflicts between skills can kill a discovery request
  6. In the Alexa Plugin's Manage Publications dialog. unpublish all but one device (make it a very simple on/off switch if possible)
  7. In the Alexa app, enable the Indigo Smart Home skill and link it
  8. Run a discovery - verify that the one device that you've published appears

What we're going for here is to determine if cleaning everything out and just publishing one device will get us back on track. If this works, then add the devices back one at a time, discovering between each one. I've seen Alexa freak out over one specific device and reject the entire discovery payload, so adding one at a time will help us determine if there is one specific device which Alexa doesn't like (and we can then troubleshoot that one directly).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:01 am
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Interesting. The plugin is responding to the discovery request, so for some reason Alexa isn't doing the right thing with the response.

Time for a full reset:

1. Disable the Indigo Smart Home Skill in the Alexa app/web site
  2. On the Authorizations page of your Indigo Account, revoke the Alexa Service Authorization
  3. Remove all devices in the Alexa app - it's most easily done on the Alexa web page since you can just click the Remove All button
  4. Wait for a few minutes (Alexa seems to have some caching issues, so waiting for a while seems to allow the device removals to propagate)
  5. Confirm that the Alexa Hue Bridge isn't running; also confirm that you don't have any other native Alexa smart home skills enabled (like for instance the Hue Skill) - name conflicts between skills can kill a discovery request
  6. In the Alexa Plugin's Manage Publications dialog. unpublish all but one device (make it a very simple on/off switch if possible)
  7. In the Alexa app, enable the Indigo Smart Home skill and link it
  8. Run a discovery - verify that the one device that you've published appears

What we're going for here is to determine if cleaning everything out and just publishing one device will get us back on track. If this works, then add the devices back one at a time, discovering between each one. I've seen Alexa freak out over one specific device and reject the entire discovery payload, so adding one at a time will help us determine if there is one specific device which Alexa doesn't like (and we can then troubleshoot that one directly).

Same result. Jay, I followed the above instructions to the letter. When deleting all devices from my Alexa account it errored at first. Second try deleted all 14 devices. I waited over 30 minutes before moving forward. The skill linked without any problems. I published only one device, a simple light switch. Indigo received and replied to the discovery request but no new devices were found. I also noticed that all of my wyze cameras are missing from my alexa account and won't re-discover. I'm convinced its an amazon problem but not sure where to go from here.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 8.53.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 8.53.54 AM.png (50.99 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, it sure sounds like it. I'd recommend contacting Amazon support to see if they can help. The device type you selected was perfect - that's the most straight-forward device to reply to discovery about.

The error when trying to delete devices seems significant so be sure to pass that along.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

One other thing to try: disable any other Smart Home skills (including the Wyze skill since you mentioned it). Maybe one of those skills is doing something weird...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:14 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
One other thing to try: disable any other Smart Home skills (including the Wyze skill since you mentioned it). Maybe one of those skills is doing something weird...

So..... I contacted amazon and got some scripted troubleshooting ideas, some info even copied from the indigo skill itself. Then, I went to look at my alexa skills and the indigo skill was gone? It comes up when I search for it but when I tried to load I got this......
Attachments
skill gone.jpg
skill gone.jpg (86.18 KiB) Viewed 2690 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Okay, it looks like maybe Amazon finally pulled the skill so we can make the changes needed for international distribution. We'll get it changed and re-submitted ASAP (we are definitely at the mercy of Amazon on this), then you can try the device discovery again.

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep, it's now showing removed in their console.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:58 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Yep, it's now showing removed in their console.

Yeah, I kinda figured something bigger than my little HA world was going one.......good luck!

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:37 am
Woetjes offline

I have the same problem here. Integration went well but no devices show up when doing a discovery.
And when I ask to read a variable, I get the message "The Alexa plugin is disabled, please enable it in the Mac client." but it's clearly enabled ;)