Smart Setpoints - Release Info

Posted on
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Smart Setpoints - Release Info

SmartSetpoints plugin automates learning of your preferred temperatures throughout the day. Rather than just have fixed Heat/Cool setpoints, this plugin captures setpoint values as you manipulate the thermostat settings. Essentially, the last 10 setpoint values for each hour of the day are collected. On regular intervals, the plugin will update the Thermostat Setpoints to an average for the collected values for the current hour of day.

Plugin Features
* Device Types - supports devices that extend the Indigo Thermostat device type
* Smart Setpoint Tracking - Learns the preferred setpoints based on time of day, collecting values as you interact with the thermostat. Currently stores the last 10 changes made for heat/cool setpoints for each hour of the day.
* Setpoint Automation - Automatically updates the configured thermostat with an average of these last 10 values for the current hour of the day.
* Setpoint Automation Interval - the plugin attempts to update the thermostat setpoints periodically, based on a plugin configuration interval. However, if the setpoint was recently updated manually, the setpoints will be left as-is.

Supported Indigo Device Types
The plugin works with the Indigo Thermostat device. So far, it's been tested with the Insteon Thermostat as well as the virtual thermostat plugin 'Unistat'

For Installation, Setup, Usage refer to the GitHub wiki: https://github.com/rbdubz3/smart-setpoints-indigo/wiki

V1.1.2 Changes
* Fixed bug with handling of Change Capture Interval plugin preference

V1.1.1 Changes
* Added plugin configuration settings - Setpoint Automation Interval, Manual Pause Interval, and Change Capture Interval

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:50 pm
whmoorejr offline

Re: Smart Setpoints

Outside of downloading the plugin and trying to pick it apart... I'm curious about the math that went into this....

So is it a total of 240 data points? (10 set points for each of the 24 hours of the day). (or 480... heat set point and cool set point)? even if the cool is the only thing on, the thermostat still has a heat set point.... so that data is still collected

Mine, for example, is automated to stay at 75 throughout the day, drop to 73 at night, then back to 75 in the morning..... so the plugin would basically just tell me that unless I started to manually manipulate the thermostat during the day?

At what point does the plugin decide to begin adjusting the thermostat on your behalf?.... as soon as it's collected all 240/480 data points and builds a rotating average?

I'm only asking this out of admiration. It sounds like you wrote a plugin that basically turns my dumb-ass insteon thermostat into a fancy nest thermostat that learns my routines. Not my thing, but I think the tech that goes into that kinda cool so I'm just curious on how you got it worked out.

NOTE: Not my thing only because I have a home office so my thermostat is pretty stagnant... but I think this plugin is great for folks that want the "learning" of a nest but what to have more control. Sounds like a great plugin.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Re: Smart Setpoints

So is it a total of 240 data points? (10 set points for each of the 24 hours of the day). (or 480... heat set point and cool set point)? even if the cool is the only thing on, the thermostat still has a heat set point.... so that data is still collected

Yes that is correct - 240 possible data points. And the plugin will ONLY collect the heat/cool setpoints if configured for the specific 'smart setpoint' device

Mine, for example, is automated to stay at 75 throughout the day, drop to 73 at night, then back to 75 in the morning..... so the plugin would basically just tell me that unless I started to manually manipulate the thermostat during the day?

This is correct

At what point does the plugin decide to begin adjusting the thermostat on your behalf?.... as soon as it's collected all 240/480 data points and builds a rotating average?

The plugin starts adjusting right away - it is initialized based on configurable settings for the 'smart setpoint' device. It'll take an average using whatever data points it has collected. Once setpoints are manipulated, it'll capture each value up to a max of 10 per hour. If for example, it has collected 5 values from past setpoint adjustments, it'll use those. If the setpoint is adjusted several times in a short span of time (plugin config 'Change Capture Interval'), it'll only keep the last value. Additionally, it'll skip auto-adjustment based on a plugin config 'Pause Interval' - rationale here is that once you adjust the temperature, you don't want the plugin changing it a few min later - so it'll skip setpoint automation during this interval.

I'm only asking this out of admiration. It sounds like you wrote a plugin that basically turns my dumb-ass insteon thermostat into a fancy nest thermostat that learns my routines. Not my thing, but I think the tech that goes into that kinda cool so I'm just curious on how you got it worked out.

NOTE: Not my thing only because I have a home office so my thermostat is pretty stagnant... but I think this plugin is great for folks that want the "learning" of a nest but what to have more control. Sounds like a great plugin.

Thanks for the kudos! Honestly, there isn't really isn't anything fancy here with crazy algos/etc. But yeah you are right - my goal was to add some smarts to otherwise dumb thermostats. Aside from using it with my Insteon thermostat and central heat, I've been pairing it with the Unistat plugin + Hue Temperature Sensor in rooms where I have space heaters and/or ceiling fans (plus occupancy detection) - nice to be able to toggle these devices on/off automatically based on the preferred temperatures/room occupancy.

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Page 1 of 1