Here is a feature request: Door Lock

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:05 pm
cjp767 offline

Here is a feature request: Door Lock

In the last week or so, I've gone from not knowing what a Hubitat is to owning three-- and successfully getting them communicating through the MQTT Broker plugin to the Hubitat Plugin. Fantastic. It was quite a battle getting the MQTT app installed on the Hubitats, but they are all done, and that is a story for a totally different thread.

My Veras (and now Hubitats) are installed in three separate out-buildings and I am in the processes of moving my devices from Vera to Hubitat-- Tedious, but definitely doable with one exception: Z-wave door locks. The Hubitat bridge plugin does not seem to support door locks. Is that a terribly difficult thing to add? I see my door locks in the MQTT explorer, so the MQTT app on the Hubitat is publishing, unfortunately there is no door lock device type in the Hubitat plugin.

There is likely a network security consideration with MQTT, but honestly, I just want the doors to lock automatically. I figure any thief who wants my lawn mower will use a sledge hammer, not an electronic network tool to break in.

For now, I will run my Vera devices independently (eventually not working with Indigo)-- and set a rule to lock the door a couple hours after it unlocks.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 17.00.00.png
Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 17.00.00.png (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

Posted on
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 am
autolog offline

Re: Here is a feature request: Door Lock

Hi @cjp767,

Glad you are finding the plugin useful. :)

It should be fairly easy to add a lock capability with the caveat that I don't have a lock to test with.

You could do an initial test via MQTT Explorer by publishing a command to lock and unlock it with a topic of homie/<your_hub_name>/shed-lock-h/lock/set with a raw payload of true (lock) or false (unlock).

Assuming the above works, to lock and unlock it, then I can add a lock capability to the plugin.

Posted on
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:25 am
cjp767 offline

I will try the commands you suggested. Sadly I’m on a work trip for about a week, so I’ll report back when I can.

Thank you for a great plug-in. The Vera devices have done well for nearly a decade, so it’s definitely time for newer technology. The Hubitat is physically much smaller than I had expected— and full of capabilities.

Posted on
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:26 am
berkinet offline

cjp767 wrote:
… It was quite a battle getting the MQTT app installed on the Hubitats, but they are all done, and that is a story for a totally different thread. …
As I am expecting a Hubitat delivery this week, I would love to read any tips you might have.

Posted on
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 pm
cjp767 offline

Success! First time--

The command you suggested is exactly correct-- with the raw "true," it locks. with the raw "false," it unlocks.

I should also mention that inside Hubitat's MQTT app, there is a setting under Configuration that must be turned on-- "Allow unlock via MQTT."

The MQTT Explorer app is pretty fantastic too. I like the way it builds the topics to publish and flashes the messages when they are executed.

Posted on
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:13 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am working on an update to support this lock. Will probably be a week or so before it is ready for testing due to other committments. :)

Posted on
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:55 pm
cjp767 offline

As I moved more devices from the Vera to the Hubitat, I ran across another odd device. My FortrezZ MIMOlite shows up as a Hubitat Bridge Sensor device, instead of an ON/OFF switch. I see the on/off as a property, but it should be a settable state. Although the MIMOLite has many uses, I use it as a momentary on/off switch to simulate a button press to open/close a garage door or gate. Using your previous coaching, I was able to make it open and close the door through MQTT Explorer and I'm attaching screen shots of the successful "button push" command. I needed to send an OFF command before sending another ON command to close the garage door.

Like the lock, is this a fairly straightforward add/alteration in the Hubitat Plugin? Thanks for any guidance you might have. And thank you for spending your time helping me with my project.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 17.16.17.png
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 17.16.17.png (195.79 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 17.17.55.png
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 17.17.55.png (56.97 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:40 pm
autolog offline

New pre-release published to Github: Enhancements, bug fixes and Lock device support

You should hopefully be able to select a Lock device type when creating a new device for your shed lock.
Let me know how you get on and if t is OK, I will push it to the Indigo Plugin Store.

I will look at your MIMOLite device in due course.

You might be able to add it as an Outlet device (which is based on a relay)?

Posted on
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:06 pm
cjp767 offline

So much success in one day.

The new Hubitat Bridge Plugin works perfectly with the lock. In addition, it correctly reflects the lock position when I manually lock/unlock it from the keypad.

You're right-- I changed the MIMO's Plugin settings to add it as an outlet so ON/OFF is the primary property. Also, in the Hubitat (main settings, not the MQTT app) I adjusted the MIMO's device configuration. I set the preferences to: Relay 1 control Manual. Relay 1 Auto Off set to 1 Second. The MIMO handles the button press automatically (per the hardware jumper configuration), so the Auto Off setting just prevents the need to send an Off command to reset the Hubitat state.

Thank you for the lock addition. And thank you also for the push to explore additional settings in both the Hubitat Bridge Plugin and the Hubitat's Device Preferences.

Posted on
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:05 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the feedback :D

I have now pushed this update (+ a couple of minor tweaks) to the Indigo Plugin Store.

Page 1 of 1