Close, but not quite connecting!

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:17 pm
cjp767 offline

Close, but not quite connecting!

I've made it through all the steps below (as shown on a different thread)-- I'm on the step below with 3 *'s. If setup correctly this should show a status of connected. Mine shows disconnected.

To get this working you need:

-An MQTT Broker e.g. Mosquitto or the MQTT Broker from the Indigo Plugin Store.
You don't need the MQTT Connector from the Indigo Plugin Store.
-On your Hubitat device you need to install and setup the MQTT App by user @kevin to publish your zigbee device to MQTT.
Install the MQTT App from @kevin aka xAPPO on Github: Forum: [Beta] MQTT beta 3d (released 5th July) and Github: xAPPO/MQTT. Send a PM to Kevin on the Hubitat Forums to get the lastest pre-release versio n, stating that you are an Indigo user.
-Configure theHubitat MQTT App to publish Hubitat devices you want to monitor / control
-On Indigo, you need to setup a Hubitat Bridge > MQTT Broker device to point at your MQTT Broker.
-Tick the boxes in MQTT Publications and MQTT Subscriptions for homie (Hubitat)
-This will then appear in the pull-down for the Hub you are setting up i.e. create a Hubitat Bridge > Hubitat Elevation Hub device.
*** If setup correctly, this should show a status of connected.
You then need to add say a shades device e.g. Hubitat Bridge > Dimmer (Blind/Shade) and select the properties you need.

My Setup: Indigo 2022.2, Indigo Broker Plugin (latest from plugin store), Hubitat Bridge Plugin (latest from plugin store). The bridge plugin shows green/connected to the broker (the plugin).

ON the Hubitat side, everything installed/restarted properly. I have one Outlet I'm trying to publish to start with. Here is the MQTT log and a snapshot showing the status in Indigo. It's pretty close to working, but I'm likely missing a setting somewhere. I hope I've given you enough clues-- I understand this is hard to jump into. I can send more screenshots of settings or whatever you need. Thank you for any guidance.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 12.10.04.png
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 12.10.04.png (273.59 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 12.09.34.png
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 12.09.34.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Last edited by cjp767 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:26 pm
cjp767 offline

Re: Close, but not quite connecting!

And here is one more screenshot showing that things should probably be connected--- the names and addresses match. (again, the problem is mine-- I've missed something)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 12.24.37.png
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 12.24.37.png (265.15 KiB) Viewed 910 times

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:09 pm
autolog offline

It would be useful to see what MQTT Explorer (available on the App Store or from here) shows on the MQTT Broker.

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:07 pm
cjp767 offline

Thank you for that-- If I'm interpreting this app correctly, it looks like my Hubitat (SaabHubitat) is publishing one device, an outlet (saab-test)-- and that looks correct. But, I would also think that the Hubitat Bridge plugin would have an entry-- and it doesn't seem to-- as it is disconnected. So, I would guess my problem is someplace in an Indigo Plugin setting. This is my first MQTT adventure, so I'm an extreme novice.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 13.59.48.png
Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 13.59.48.png (98.47 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:27 pm
cjp767 offline

Wow. Fixed. My Hubitat is called "SaabHubitat". When that name gets sent to the MQTT Broker, it gets published as "saabhubitat"

Note the letter case change.

I noticed that difference while looking at the data in the MQTT Explorer app -- So, I changed the device name in the Indigo Hubitat Bridge plugin to lower case and I instantly saw the green connected light.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Without your guidance, I would have never caught that. Never.

… and I see that lower case guidance is in the “how to configure everything” thread. Eventually I catch up.

Page 1 of 1