How to configure everything

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:11 am
MarcoGT offline

How to configure everything

Hi all,

I do not get how to configure everything; I have installed the MQTT Driver and MQTT App on Hubitat and now if I go under Devices (on Hubitat) I see "MQTT: Child Device Driver".
The topic says

Configure the MQTT App to publish Hubitat devices you want to monitor / control

But how?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 am
autolog offline

Re: How to configure everything

On your Hubitat web page, you need to go to the Apps tab in the left sidebar and click on the MQTT App.
Then click on MQTT Broker and enter a Hub Name eg. Home-1. MQTT Broker Address e.g. tcp://192.168.0.10:1883, MQTT Username and MQTT Password if you have set this up in your broker and turn on Clean Session
Then click on Configuration and set the options you want. Leave Purge Discovered Devices and Forget enabled devices off. Choose Temperature units and Length units. leave the remaining options to do with HSM and locks off.
Then select MQTT Publish Formats; Turn homie 3 protocol and ... retain homie states on, leave other two options off. Set Home Assistant Discovered devices to Remember.
Then click Publish these HE devices to MQTT and select the devices you want to publish. Probably best to select from the Everything (all capabilities ... list

Hopefully that will get you started. :)

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:56 pm
MarcoGT offline

autolog wrote:
On your Hubitat web page, you need to go to the Apps tab in the left sidebar and click on the MQTT App.

That is the first problem; I do not have any App inside the Apps tab.
I have imported the App and Driver code under the Development tab, nothing else.

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:09 pm
autolog offline

Have you installed the App?

See: xAPPO/MQTT and check the Installation Notes

You have to install the MQTT App as well as the MQTT Client Driver. :)

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 pm
MarcoGT offline

Yes, I have installed them using the developer tab and the import function from GitHub
I am doni this step right now:

Now install the app using 'Add User App' . It may seem to hang don't worry. Do NOT install the device manually.

But how long does it take? Because if I click on Close of course then I will not see any apps installed

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:53 pm
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
autolog wrote:

That is the first problem; I do not have any App inside the Apps tab.
I have imported the App and Driver code under the Development tab, nothing else.

Thanks
Marco

When you save the app, do you get a spinning blue circle (I see 2 actually) at the top of the screen, it takes about 30 seconds of spinning for me then disappears.

I then go into the App and then set it up just like Jon has explained in the previous message, believe me it is not at all intuitive but once you have done this a few times you get used to it.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:23 pm
MarcoGT offline

No change to get the any app installed; I see that browser is trying to load an address /installedapps/create/<id> but nothing happens and then at the end the app is not installed

Posted on
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 am
autolog offline

I can see that you have posted a query on the Hubitat forums and a Hubitat support person is going to check out your issue.
Keep us posted on your progress. :)

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 am
MarcoGT offline

I had a look of exchange with someone of staff.
A soft reset did not help; a soft reset + restore of the backup helped and now I was able to install the MQTT App.

I will continue in the next days to configure everything

Thanks a lot
Marco

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:29 pm
MarcoGT offline

Ok, now I have the problem that in the Hubitat logs I get:

Code: Select all
app:62021-08-02 18:44:30.381 infoMQTT: Waiting for MQTT connection: false
app:62021-08-02 18:44:30.229 infoMQTT: initialising with App count 0
app:62021-08-02 18:44:30.204 errorMQTT: FATAL: No MQTT broker configured

The broker is eclipse-mosquitto in Docker; port is 1883 but I assume I need to configure something else as I get (in Docker):

1627880319: Starting in local only mode. Connections will only be possible from clients running on this machine.
1627880319: Error: Address not available

Where is located the mosquitto.conf on macOs?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:58 pm
autolog offline

See here: https://hub.docker.com/_/eclipse-mosquitto

Is your Docker running on the same Mac as Indigo?

Have you setup a Hubitat Bridge > Hubitat Elevation Hub [MQTT Client] device in Indigo and specified the name, ip address and port for the MQTT broker?

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm
MarcoGT offline

Yes, Docker is running on the same Mac as Indigo
I am using Docker Desktop to do everything

I was able to modify the config, but when I used the option "bind_address" so that the Hubitat Hub can connect to broker, the container did not start
I assume the problem is that MQTT Broker shall allow connections also from other IP as his own

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 pm
autolog offline

In the Docker Desktop, just run mosquitto - you have to start it.

Posted on
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:16 pm
MarcoGT offline

It works!
Now with

Code: Select all
listeners 1883

in the mosquitto.conf I see connected in Indigo :)

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:03 am
mclass offline

I have been wrestling with this plugin for about a week, without success.

I have the Hubitat MQTT app installed and successfully posting to my Mosquito broker running on a standalone RPi, when logged on the MQTT Connector app on the Mac.. My broker does not have authentication activated (no user or password). I am satisfied that the issue s not with the broker as it is successfully supporting the Indigo MQTT Connector and Shims plugins.

The Indigo Hubitat Bridge plugin device is showing "connected", in the Custom STates, but none of the other states are populated. Attempts to create Indigo plugin devices for the Hubitat test device I am using (Aeotec Smartswitch 6 socket) are unsuccessful as the plugin configuration screen shows "No "outlet" devices available". Attempts with other type devices are equally unsuccessful!!

Would it be possible to provide a more detailed "walk-through" that might allow me to sort out where I've gone astray?

TIA

mclass