UK Smart Meter Users - Access your meter data without HW

Posted on
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:48 pm
neilk offline

UK Smart Meter Users - Access your meter data without HW

Hi all,
Up until recently in order to get meter / energy usage data in the same day required buying something called a "Consumer Access Device" that pairs with your smart meter. My Glowmarkt IHD/CAD plugin provides support for that and gives you instantaneous energy stats via the MQTT feed. The earliest you could get consumption data without it was after midnight for the previous day. Hildebrand recently added an API call that will pull the data from your meter "on demand", it won't give you real time, but you will get the data for the last full 30 minute period that the meter measures (they collect 48 readings a day). I am happy to add support for this halfway house to the plugin, but wanted to check if this was of interest or use to anyone. UK users only I am afraid, they would need a smart meter that is supported by the Free bright app. Let me know if anyone is interested, users who already have a CAD already get real time access, so no additional benefit.

Neil

Posted on
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:17 am
siclark offline

Re: UK Smart Meter Users - Access your meter data without HW

If I could get a smart meter I would be interested! I like the idea of real time, but not sure I would use it, so being sensible, it would be nice not to have to buy a CAD just to get the more recent data.
I have asked Octopus, but no idea where I am on the queue.

Posted on
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:31 am
neilk offline

Re: UK Smart Meter Users - Access your meter data without HW

In which case I will give it a go, I think it may well be easy enough to do but testing may be a pain (I will try just switching off the cad) as otherwise the data is available real time ish.
I need to tidy a couple of things anyway.

Getting a meter seems to be a postcode lottery via Octopus, some in days others months. Some people may be able to get moved up the priority list via the smart@octopus.energy email who seem to be able to help.

Page 1 of 1