Possible to bridge Home Assistant devices to Indigo?

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
neetorama offline

Possible to bridge Home Assistant devices to Indigo?

Does HassBridge allow Indigo to recognize and communicate with devices controlled by Home Assistant?

I understand that HassBridge allows Home Assistant to recognize and communicate with devices controlled by Indigo. Is communication in the opposite direction also supported (HA controlled devices -> Indigo)?

My use case:
There are several Zigbee devices that I'm interested in, but Indigo does not support the protocol. I'm wondering if I can get around the constraint by adding Zigbee devices to HA and using HassBridge to allow communication to/from Indigo?

If HassBridge does not allow HA controlled devices to communicate with Indigo, are any other HA outputs shared with Indigo? Assuming that HA supports something like variables, and if Indigo can read them, I can populate device statuses from HA into variables and have those read by Indigo to trigger actions.

Thanks for any help!

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:47 pm
WonderSlug offline

Re: Possible to bridge Home Assistant devices to Indigo?

Howdy,

At this point HassBridge does not do pulling of Home Assistant devices into Indigo.

I think maybe your best bet is to look at FlyingDivers MQTT plugins.

MQTT Shims - http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/210/
MQTT Connector - http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/211/

The newbie MQTT starter post looks like a good to start - viewtopic.php?f=316&t=24227

I think you could easily add MQTT publish automations for Hass devices you want info in Indigo about and then pick them up and use them.

Hope this helps
-=Brian

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:31 pm
neetorama offline

Awesome. Makes sense. Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 am
siclark offline

Hi.
Actually, with a ZigBee USB stick and FlyingDivers Mqqt plugins you can control ZigBee devices directly from indigo and the setup is reasonably straightforward now.
You will need a one time setup of zigbee2mqqt on either Mac or a pi but from then it's pretty easy to do.
What devices are you looking to use? I have a range of awards sensors and switches, smartthings sockets and hue bulbs all being controlled that way.
Simon

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 am
siclark offline

I’ve been meaning to write up a single guide to it but for now if you let me know what you are trying to use I can point to to the right threads.

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:18 am
siclark offline

This is probably a good place to start which describes how to do the basic setup using a zigbee usb stick to install zigbee2mqtt on your mac, (I use PM2 to get it to auto run) and setup a quick dashboard on node red to monitor the device creation (not needed, but useful)

Then how to setup some basic sensors using the MQTT shims plugins. There are a few sensor specific threads on the FlyiingDiver's MQTT forum.

Plugs and bulbs can be setup with automated templates and if you are looking for those, I can point you to the right place.

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am
neetorama offline

@siclark

This is all super helpful. Thank you!

This is probably a good place to start which describes how to do the basic setup using a zigbee usb stick to install zigbee2mqtt on your mac

Is there a link/thread you can point me to? Didn't see the one you're referring to in your post...

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:19 am
siclark offline

Sorry, forgot to press paste. Here you go. There are other threads on Aqara devices to help understand the MQTT setup as well.

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=23613&p=188582&hilit=aqara#p188582

and then once you have it running, here for using relays and dimmers, ie plug sockets and bulbs.

viewtopic.php?f=316&t=24066&p=193577&hilit=zigbee#p193577

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 am
neetorama offline

Thank you! I'm going to pick up a CC2531 and see if I can this up and running.

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:56 am
siclark offline

What devices are you looking to use?

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:20 pm
neetorama offline

There are a few devices that I've had my eye on. There are z-wave equivalents for most, but I've noticed that Zigbee devices are often priced a bit more competitively.

For example, the SmartThings Button (GP-U999SJVLEAA), RGB Genie's Zigbee RGBW controller (ZB-1025), and a number of Zigbee plug adapters come to mind. At the end of the day the price difference isn't significant, usually around $10, but it adds up quickly! Need to keep the wife happy too!

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 pm
siclark offline

yes, it was the cheaper price and the the wider choice of sensors and buttons that made me look at zigbee.

issue is you will have a small zigbee network at start with buttons, so the mains devices are needed to build out a network. The USB stick is cheap but underpowered. You can get stronger USB sticks for more money, but might as well spend that on a mains adaptor that gives you functionality.

Look at ikea for cheap sockets too

Page 1 of 1