HassBridge future features suggestions

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 1:53 pm
WonderSlug offline

HassBridge future features suggestions

Howdy all,

Im looking for some ideas on what you would like to see out of HassBridge in the future.

I have some of my own thoughts but want to gauge how people are using it and if some of them make sense.

Im just going to put this down with some of my thoughts to hopefully start some conversation.

Home Assistant MQTT discovery types not supported yet.

• Alarm control panels - Not seeing how this can be done for devices from Indigo, but open to ideas.
  • HVACs - I dont have a ZWave or Insteon thermostat to play with right now but would like to see this in.

Indigo Device Specific
  • IO Devices - Right now Hassbridge treats the Insteon IO device as a Cover. Need to make that probably be a switch and binary sensor with a customization for cover/garage door

These are just off the top of my head. I would like to hear any thoughts you all have.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: HassBridge future features suggestions

Grab the Indigo SDK download and load the Example Thermostat plugin. Then you can create a dummy thermostat device for testing the HVAC type.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 4:40 pm
WonderSlug offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Grab the Indigo SDK download and load the Example Thermostat plugin. Then you can create a dummy thermostat device for testing the HVAC type.

Great idea! Thanks.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm
Gangotti offline

is there a way to add the x10 devices to the MQTT? I don't have them but I use them as virtual dimmer devices and it works great. I use them as a way to control volume for my airfoil speakers, but I have recently thought it would be a way to control dimmer and other devices on protocols not yet supported by indigo, for example, if I have a zigbee dimmer, using home assistant I could link the x10 device and the zigbee device so if one changes it matches the other and that would give me control of the zigbee device from indigo. if not I could at least have a volume control that will be accurate with my control pages.

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 5:06 pm
WonderSlug offline

Gangotti wrote:
is there a way to add the x10 devices to the MQTT? I don't have them but I use them as virtual dimmer devices and it works great. I use them as a way to control volume for my airfoil speakers, but I have recently thought it would be a way to control dimmer and other devices on protocols not yet supported by indigo, for example, if I have a zigbee dimmer, using home assistant I could link the x10 device and the zigbee device so if one changes it matches the other and that would give me control of the zigbee device from indigo. if not I could at least have a volume control that will be accurate with my control pages.

Ill look at it. I have some old X10 stuff in a box somewhere, and ill see if I can get it working again.

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 12:35 am
Gangotti offline

You don’t need to have them actually working, just install an x10 device in indigo and assign it an address. Even though there is no feedback it still works even though there is no physical device it’s talking to. I would think that if you can control it through the hassbridge to indigo than it will work on the indigo side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 pm
emergent offline

I think a great feature would be to have the option of adding a secondary dimmer "device" for each switch that controls the LEDs on the wall switch. Indigo allows you to turn the brightness on the LED wall switched on/off and alter the brightness. If I could add a wall switch like "Office Ceiling Lights" and have it automatically create a second dimmer device called "Office Ceiling Lights - LED Control", which can turn on and off the LEDs and control the brightness, that would be AMAZING.

Posted on
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:12 pm
WonderSlug offline

emergent wrote:
I think a great feature would be to have the option of adding a secondary dimmer "device" for each switch that controls the LEDs on the wall switch. Indigo allows you to turn the brightness on the LED wall switched on/off and alter the brightness. If I could add a wall switch like "Office Ceiling Lights" and have it automatically create a second dimmer device called "Office Ceiling Lights - LED Control", which can turn on and off the LEDs and control the brightness, that would be AMAZING.

I think this is a great idea. The one problem i see right now is that there is no way to get the state of the backlight from the insteon device itself. The insteon protocol doesnt seem to have that. So on, off, and brightness level of the backlight would be tracked in the plugin itself and it would not always be accurate to whats fed back to Home Assistant. The commands from HA would be able to be sent to the device, but what the state is "really" would not be able to be reflected back.

I still may put it in to be able to respond to HA commands but it would not be perfect for sure.

Great Idea though, ill see how much of it I can do.

Posted on
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:36 am
WonderSlug offline

@emergent Thanks for the great suggestion.

I implemented this v1.3.0 (https://github.com/wonderslug/hassbridg ... tag/v1.3.0). Like I said before, there is no way that I can see to grab the current state of the backlight from the device, so I would not rely on those for automations, but turning them on and off and setting the dimmer seems to work fine. Ive had a couple issues where some older switches do not honor on and off, so your millage may vary.

Please let me know how this is working for you and if you are seeing issues.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:53 pm
emergent offline

Wow. That was super fast. It works great. Only has one issue from what I can tell. When you use the slider or call the light_on service and put them to 100%, then the on/off button doesn't do anything. You need to lower the brightness a bit. For example, it doesn't allow the switch to toggle when the brightness is at 255, but it will at 200. Not a big deal and doesn't affect my use case. In my bedroom and bathroom, the LED backlights at 100% make my room bright enough to see in when all the other lights are off. So I have the LED backlights set to turn off when I go to bed, but turn on when am motion sensor detects that I got out of bed to use the bathroom or something. Then they turn on in the morning to normal brightness when my alarm goes off. Works amazing!

My only other idea would be to use the mdi icons mdi:led-on and mdi:led-off instead of the lightbulb icon. Obviously that can be done in Home Assistant itself, but it gets tedious after a while. So maybe an option to allow that as well.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:00 pm
WonderSlug offline

Hey. Ill look into the on/off brightness issue.

Sorry, there is nothing I can do about the icon. MQTT Discovery for Home Assistant only supports the options covered here https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/light.mqtt/.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm
emergent offline

Thanks. Not a big deal. Such a great plugin. Thanks again.

Posted on
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm
BonfireVA offline

I love this plugin, it works fantastic. Thank you!
Wondering if you ever made any progress on the HVAC addition, would love to see that added. I have three Zwave thermostats I could help with testing if that is useful

-Eric

Posted on
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 am
WonderSlug offline

Hey. Thanks. Im glad you like it.

No I have not had much of a chance to dig into HVAC yet. Life ya know. Ill try to look at it more when I can.

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2022 11:43 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi wonderslug,

thanks for that great plugin.
I realize this is an old thread. Are you still supporting the plugin?
Would very much appreciate any comment on this.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Page 1 of 1