UK EV and House Battery Users - new test functionality

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:23 am
neilk offline

UK EV and House Battery Users - new test functionality

Hi all,
After petematheson's request I added some test functionality, and yesterday it coincided with some nice low electricity rates. The principle works like the Ohme charge cable, in that you define in the plugin how many hours of charge you need (for an EV, Powerwall or equivalent or any other load you can switch with indigo) and select Night or Day and the sensor will be triggered for the cheapest 30 mins period(s) which may well not be sequential. This requires a load that you can easily switch and that you are happy to operate in 30 minute chunks. I had already built functionality that worked out the cheapest start time for a longer running load in a continuous block. With the charge sensor you can also add an override price such that you may decide it is not economical to charge if the rate is above x, even if x is the cheapest available that day.

Generally Octopus Agile has been a little more expensive recently but this has been due to at times zero wind and unplanned downtime in Nuclear in the UK. If you have an EV or can even manually can shape your loads it can still make sense.

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.10.07.png
Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.10.07.png (233.46 KiB) Viewed 1122 times

Shows the functionality, a device state shows the times chosen, and the rates that will apply. And yes about 5 30 minutes last night when electricity was free, not negative but put 50kwh in my car for 21p.

Let me know if anyone has any other requirements or if this is useful, and consider using my referral code for charity if you do that will save you £50.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:40 pm
neilk offline

Re: UK EV and House Battery Users - new test functionality

Latest test version https://github.com/neilkplugins/Octopus_Energy-indigo-plugin/releases/tag/0.219-Alpha

This release adds the following -

A new "evening" charge period (19:30 to 23:30), and updates "day" (08:00 to 15:30) and "night" ("00:00" to 7:30)
Device actions to update the max charge rate and the charge hours (which now also show as device states)
Fixed a general bug with an uncaught error with the daily standing charge update if the API is not available and general enghancements to the charge sensor
(EDITED)
Fixed a bug when tariff devices were not defined in the device settings, and added UI config validation to prevent saving without defining one
Thanks,
Neil

Page 1 of 1