Charge at the cheaper rates

Posted on
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:00 am
neilk offline

Re: Charge at the cheaper rates

shapa wrote:
Already using grafana to visualise, yes. Quite useful.
Interested in how you did that, as I currently don't push the future rates to Grafana, but it would be nice to render that to a control page.

For the Octopus API, it doesn't natively return cost, but you can get historical usage and historical rates. I do a little of the data mangling to give you yesterdays costs by applying the usage data from the API with the rates from the plugin. I don't think it makes sense to use the plugin to manage this on a historical basis which is why I used https://github.com/stevenewey/octograph which I then use against my Grafana Dashboard Plugin instance of Influx DB. It then does some cool comparisons with Go/Go Faster etc and you can slice and dice it many ways, and you can also pull in your entire metering history. In the example below I also add in the instantaneous usage from my Smart Meter device via my Glow/Bright/Hildebrand plugin. I then use a schedule to fire a shell script daily to bring the latest usage data in (as it is a python 3 tool).

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 10.25.01.png
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 10.25.01.png (431.83 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

I also need to look at my Glowmarkt plugin as I think I can add more functionality that does not require the hardware, and generally their API is much better at returning cost data (except for Go/Go Faster), but for Agile they do the cost calculations at their end if you let them know they are on Agile.

Let me know on any ideas or help I can offer.