Plans for future version

Posted on
Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 pm
neilk offline

Plans for future version

Hi all,

Now the second release is published that optimises the API calls and addresses an issue when daily comparisons were based on UTC/GMT not BST I can start to consider future versions. On my feature list are :-

- Consumption Devices for Electricity that will show actual consumption from the previous day. I can also provide daily, weekly and monthly actual usage charge options, more to follow when I get my API key.

- A device that shows the currently applicable rate that applies for energy exports ( https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/ ) that works in a similar way to the supply rate in it is based on the actual wholesale rate during the period. It is not the same rate as weightings are applied to the supply rates during the evening peak. Watch this space but it looks viable using the same approach. Thanks to Peter for the heads up. I know have access to the forum that would have been helpful earlier (and makes me feel less stupid about the timezone handling, as it is a common issue).

- Some kind of notification mechanism that could be pushed via pushover or similar to warn / encourage those in the household to shape consumption on devices that cannot be automated

I have approach Phil Steele (Octopus' Future Technology Evangelist) who is very responsive and is keen to know more around some of our use cases. I will also publicise the capability on their forum as many people are looking to achieve what Pete has been able to do with his PowerWall. Other approaches seems a little crude and heath robinson relative to the breadth of EV's, energy devices and capabilities that Indigo can support. Maybe we can bring some new UK Indigo users on board.

It has been a fun learning experience, and thanks for those people who have helped on the journey. Let me know if you have any new requirements.

If you do switch then please consider using my referral code of https://share.octopus.energy/cute-peak-364 which will give you a £50 credit to your account, and the same to me which I will donate to charity.

Next on my plugin wish-list is control for my wifi capable Bosch tumble dryer so I can ensure it is only used when the rates are low. My I-Pace plugin is also still available, but working and stable for my use case. I will get the documentation finished and published just in case it is useful to more than just me.

Neil

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:41 am
siclark offline

Re: Plans for future version

Hi Neil.
Funnily enough I was already planning to switch to Octopus and use your great plugins then found this thread as looking to buy a Bosch Tumblr drier and was wondering about their smart Hobe connectivity.
Would be great to get the drier to come over when rates are low or even negative over night.

I've seen that there is already a node-red connection to their homeconnect platform app that could be triggered to turn on the drier via an indigo variable or mqtt message?

Reading reviews at the moment, as much as I want the smart feature the wife has been asking if it's actually good at drying clothes. Apparently my priorities are not in the right place.

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:40 am
neilk offline

siclark wrote:
Reading reviews at the moment, as much as I want the smart feature the wife has been asking if it's actually good at drying clothes. Apparently my priorities are not in the right place.

Even more funny you should mention it, I actually have at Heat Pump Bosh Tumble dryer with the Wifi connectivity that I suspect you are looking at. I actually got a very clunky status working from their API and using GhostXML, but I didn't really understand the token/authentication process and it was before I started learning python, JSON and plugin writing. It may well be on my to do list now and makes sense as an energy load that does lend itself to shifting. My plan next was to finish my I Pace plugin next, but this now largely does what I need and nobody else seems to have one so polishing it is not that important.

I am aiming to get the historic consumption version finalised, but Octopus are having issues with delivering the metering data and I am getting gaps with missed days, and the data turns up at largely random times during the day so I just need to make dealing with it a little more elegant than in the current pre-release version

I also have the states that show the best time to run a load in the pre-release version, I should get the code done this weekend so that it shows in local time (treatment of BST which is different even in the same API is a real challenge) but I should crack it.

But back to the most important question, "How does it dry clothes?"

We have been pleasantly surprised, the heat pump certainly isn't as brutal as our old condenser but not having the heat waste is a huge advantage. If you regularly need something dry "right now" it is probably not as quick but for us not materially so and we never need to re-dry as some users of heat pump dryers claim. I would also say the "touch screen" is a classic feature looking for a solution, it is a bit arcane and gives a lot of configuration options when you really want fire and forget. I suspect this is why people think they need to re-dry, as each of the drying settings has a further three intensity options. Having said that once you know that, it remains set so it is fine. I also think it is less harsh on the clothes but that is not very scientific.

I did have the watch app, but it was a bit embarrassing at work getting a notification that the dryer had finished !

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am
siclark offline

Thanks. Yes aware it's a change but we need the capacity and reduced cost to do clothes for 3 kids which is the priority so should be ok.

I had the tumble drier on a smart plug to monitor the power usage, until it melted, so aware how much a C rated condensor uses. Hope these are much cheaper, especially if they will run overnight on cheaper rate.

Posted on
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 am
neilk offline

I have had a play with the Home Connect API and Postman today, I am doing some more digging and learning but OAUTH is a little challenging and the python libraries I have found all require some manual hoop jumping in a browser during the 5 minute period you have to approve the token request.

I will keep looking, I know it is doable but it might not be elegant, at least with my limited skills :-)

Posted on
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:39 am
siclark offline

Hi,

The Bosch arrived today and it was connected to the wifi before the drain hose was connected!!

I too have had 5 mins on postman on their API and cant get it to auth so I will leave it there.

I will be requesting my change to energy supplier soon too so will use your code.

Thanks

Simon.

Posted on
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:41 am
neilk offline

Brilliant - thanks very much

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:18 am
siclark offline

Hi Neil
I have just set up Homebridge.io on my Mac as an additional Homebridge to the Indigo plugin. This runs a much more recent version of Homebrdige and there is a plugin for the Bosch/Siemens home connect.
It took 5 mins to setup Homebridge.io on my indigo mac, and then another 5 mins on the Bosch developer site to configure the plugin.

Result - I now have a device in Home app that shows the status of the tumble drier, has switches for active program, plus various specific programs to activate, and even in the Eve app you can see if the door is open or unlocked etc.

I have created a simple automation to trigger a meta device relay that I have created in Indigo and pushed to Home via the indigo HKB. Testing now.

Looking to see if I Can then trigger it back the other way, ie start the drier from pushing a switch in indigo.

Then want to see if I can start a timer that is based on the program finishing and the door not being open so I can alert with increasing urgency that it needs unloading! Wonder how long until the boss tells me to turn off that functionality!

EDIT: Using the Eve app you can sync the door status to a dummy door device too that Indigo can then see. Tested a few times and it keeps them updated. For now not sure what use I have to trigger the drier to start from Indigo, but looks like its possible.

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:33 am
neilk offline

Thanks for the update, I am going to have a go at this and possibly DoorBird and Blue Iris as well as Harmony for my two Tizen Samsung TV’s that don’t work with the plugin.

I need to tidy up my Homebridge setup as I have never really used it in anger.

The “sensor” feature I added for Pete would be really cool if we can stop and start drying to use the best combination of periods to dry.

Page 1 of 1