Octopus Energy Plugin is now Published in the plugin store

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2020 9:41 am
petematheson offline

Re: Octopus Energy Plugin is now Published in the plugin sto

Thank you for your work here!
My first round of negative pricing tomorrow morning
Just hoping the Tesla PowerWall plug-in gets an update so it can change the battery into Backup mode to charge and take full advantage of paying off my electricity bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2020 2:46 pm
neilk offline

Pete - you are very welcome, I am sure I am testing the patience of Jon and Peter as I kept breaking the pre-release versions in ever more inventive ways. I think I have the next version sorted, but that mainly adds the groundwork for future capability around the consumption data, as my switch is now in progress. I really enjoy the learning that comes with doing this.

Really interested in how this goes for you, as the use case is excellent.

Neil

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2020 1:46 pm
neilk offline

Pre release version 0.1.11 now available in GitHub

https://github.com/neilkplugins/Octopus_Energy-indigo-plugin/releases/tag/0.1.11-Beta

This now appears to be stable, I will complete one more full 24hr cycle before pushing to the plugin store (and will update the documentation).

The final issue was something of a challenge but the forums helped me track it down. (The device was restarting when I pushed the stored json to the plugin props.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2020 3:24 pm
petematheson offline

I used the plugin last night, combined with the Tesla plugin - to get PAID to charge my car with the Octopus Agile rates.

Immense! :D

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm
neilk offline

That is brilliant !

Posted on
Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm
neilk offline

Pre-release 0.1.12 published on GitHub

https://github.com/neilkplugins/Octopus_Energy-indigo-plugin/releases/tag/0.1.12-Beta

Release Notes:

- Last update broke new device creation

Testing continues.

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:33 am
neilk offline

I have just pushed 0.2.15 to the Plugin Store, this more robustly deals with API issues on the Octopus end, but also adds a lot of new functionality.

- It now connects to your Octopus Account and will retrieve consumption data from the previous day for Gas and electricity
- It will calculate your usage cost based on the saved rates and your usage (effectively a daily bill)
- It now presents each period as a device state for the rates
- Adds device states that tell you the cheapest 1/2/3/4hr periods in a day so you can choose when to for example run a tumble dryer

Any problems then please shout ! Documentation is updated.

Note: The API may not always return your previous days usage, I thoroughly recommend the Hildebrand IHD/CAD that is much more reliable for billing data. As a result I do not try and fill "gaps" in historical data but this would be possible but it would require a "query" UI for the missing periods. Happy to document how to do this, or point to the other data sources that make this easy.

Posted on
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:53 pm
neilk offline

Pre-release 0.2.16 is in the GitHub repository

https://github.com/neilkplugins/Octopus_Energy-indigo-plugin/releases/tag/0.2.16-alpha

This version addresses an issue that was introduced with the change from BST to GMT. Octopus have had some API issues over the last week or so, and even today the API is not working for me but this version should address the behaviours. You only need to try this version if you have an SMETS2 meter, and you use the consumption features of the API. Testing has been limited due to the API issues.

The issue is that when we are on GMT, Octopus actually collect meter data from SMETS2 meters (the most modern type) from 23:30 to 23:30 rather than 00:00 to 00:00. During BST this was not apparent as 23:30 UTC was 00:30 BST and the API was able to provide a natural days worth of data. The same API call will return a different number of results in BST or GMT, and indeed for a SMETS1 Meter. You can actually see this behaviour in your Octopus Account dashboard, as when working yesterdays consumption will only go up to 23:30, whereas the day before will show the full days value. The fix just maps a days worth of consumption as being 23:30 to 23:30 during GMT.

I would strongly recommend using my Glowmarkt plugin for consumption data, their API is more reliable and works with "normal" days. You can do this with their free account, it is only the real time data access that requires the purchase of a CAD/IHD hardware device. If you use both you will see the difference in the total consumption for a day.

If anyone has a SMETS1 Meter and uses the consumption functionality then let me know and I can create a version that makes this fix configurable, but I would need someone to test it.