How do I dim a shelly Dimmer 2

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:06 pm
JustJack offline

How do I dim a shelly Dimmer 2

I have a Shelly Dimmer 2 setup using ShellyMQTT. It works just fine using the on/off buttons and the brightness control in the device details display in Indigo. I don't have any physical switches connected to the Shelly Dimmer switch. I want to control it entirely wirelessly. This going to replace a bare bulb, with a chain pull, to turn it on/off, with a new dimmable LED panel that is controlled by the Shelly Dimmer 2.

I have a SwitchLiinc2 remote setup so that when I press button group 1, it turns the light on/off. The shelly is configured so that it comes on at it's last brightness value. This all works.

Now I would like to control the brightness. The SwitchLinc2 sends a Start Brighten/Dim command when you hold down the group 1 button, but Dimmer2 doesn't show up as a target for that command in the action section of the trigger.

Any hints on how to make this dim/brighten without scripting a loop to increase/dim the brightness?

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:11 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

Re: How do I dim a shelly Dimmer 2

I think this is a 2-part issue.

As you see, the device does not show up as having the capability to be acted on by the "Start Brighten"or "Start Dim" actions. I don't see references to these actions in the various Indigo documentation resources, so I'll ask around to see if this is even possible.

If the above were possible (or maybe even without), I think I could hack together the functionality you are after.

The SwitchLinc2 sends a Start Brighten/Dim command when you hold down the group 1 button

Do you know what happens when you release the button? Can a keyup this trigger the "Stop Brighten/Dim" action? I think the API for the Dimmer 2 allows you to do one-time transition periods when setting a specific brightness level.

When "Start Brighten" is called on the device, I think I could command the device to set the brightness level to 100%, but over a 5 second period. If you keyup after 2 seconds (say when the device is at 50% brightness), I could have the "Stop Brighten/Dim" command the device to set the brightness to the current reported level (50%) and hope that this cancels the previously running command that was still transitioning.

I don't have a Dimmer2 device, so are you willing to do some testing? No guarantees what I'm thinking about will work, but its worth a shot.

If we get lucky and everything I said above works, then I could try adjusting the ramp duration to be a constant rate based on the current brightness level. For example, it should ramp from 0% to 100% in 5 seconds. But if you are at 80%, then the ramp rate should be the same and transition to 100% brightness in 1 second rather than taking another 5 seconds to ramp from 80% to 100%..

Posted on
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:20 pm
JustJack offline

Re: How do I dim a shelly Dimmer 2

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.
I don't have a Dimmer2 device, so are you willing to do some testing? No guarantees what I'm thinking about will work, but its worth a shot.

Yes, I would be willing to test the changes for you.

Do you know what happens when you release the button? Can a keyup this trigger the "Stop Brighten/Dim" action?

This is what I am seeing in my logs. When I press and hold the button I get the "start brighten" and when I release it I get the "stop brighten" entry. BTW, the Shelly Wireless Light Switch" is just the name I gave to the Insteon SwitchLinc 2 switch.
Code: Select all
Sep 12, 2023 at 9:54:54 PM
   Received INSTEON                "Shelly Wireless Light Switch" off (button 1)

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:57:40 PM
   Received INSTEON                "Shelly Wireless Light Switch" on (button 1)
   Received INSTEON                "Shelly Wireless Light Switch" start brighten (button 1)
   Received INSTEON                "Shelly Wireless Light Switch" stop brighten (button 1)
   Received INSTEON                "Shelly Wireless Light Switch" off (button 1)

I've been looking at the shelly docs and there is "longpush" property on the dimmer. Not sure if this is settable or read-only. It would be nice if it was settable and you could just turn it on/off when I start/stop brighten/dim command is issued.

Page 1 of 1