Garage Door position with the Shelly 1L relay

Posted on
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:33 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Garage Door position with the Shelly 1L relay

I am attempting to set up a Shelly 1L to communicate garage door open/close position to Indigo. I have connected a reed switch to the SW1 and SX terminals on the Shelly 1L, and the reed switch operates the relay. I am also able to operate the relay with Indigo and the relay condition is communicated to the Shelly iOS app and the browser.
My problem is communication from the relay back to Indigo:
    When operating the relay with the reed switch, the position is not reflected in the iOS Shelly App or the browser
    The relay when operated by the reed switch is not communicating with Indigo
    The relay when operated by the iOS App, or with the LAN / browser is not communicating with Indigo
I have tried various settings on the I/O URL Actions pate for the Shelly 1L, using the Indigo server's URL and also with port 1883.
Because the Shelly 1L does not have Switch and Input pages that the Shelly Plus 1, for instance,, has, I have no idea how to connect the Shelly 1L to Indigo.
Is this possible? If so, what settings to I need to use?
Thank you,
Bob

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:39 pm
tazswe offline

Re: Garage Door position with the Shelly 1L relay

Have you got an any other Shelly device connected to Indigo?

It should be interesting to see the payload that you are getting on mqtt. Pls download MqttExplorer if you don’t already have it and check that you are getting a payload and that it is changing when you open and close the door.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:03 pm
tazswe offline

Why do you use a Shelly 1L ? It’s only working on 110-220 volt.

I should change it to a Shelly 1 plus that works with lover voltage or a Shelly Uni and use an additional read switch that can show if the door is opened or closed.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:03 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I have several Shelly devices installed - about 25 - all of which are working very nicely with Indigo.
MQTT Explorer findings for the Shelly 1L:
    The "relay" entries for "0=" and "command=" toggle between 'on' and 'off' when the device is switched on and off with Indigo;
    The "input" entry for "0="' and the "relay" entry for "0=" toggle between '0' and '1 and 'on/off' respectively with the operation of the reed switch; the "command =" value is not effected by operation of the reed switch; and
    The "online =" never changes from false..
I was advised to use the Shelly 1L by someone who has previously given me very good advice. However, this person does not use Indigo.
I think the problem might be that the reed switch / input operation is not communicating with Indigo. Unlike the other Shelly devices I've installed, when creating the new device in Indigo for the Shelly 1L, neither a Switch nor an Input page are created.
If there is a better way to operate and communicate position for a garage door, I would be very interested in how I could do the same.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:55 pm
tazswe offline

I have enclosed a pic of how you wire the “old” Shelly 1.
You can also use a Shelly Uni. If you use a Shelly Uni you connect the switch contact on the garage opener between out1 and the magnetic contact sensor between load and in1 , you can connect a second magnetic sensor to in2 if you like to show when the door is open.

You can most probably find outlet for 24 volt on your garage opener, have a look in the manual or use Google.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:15 pm
SMUSEBY offline

This is great! I'm pretty good at following instructions, but no good at figuring this stuff out - including the note for where the positive goes. That would have been a big problem.
My opener has 12v, which presumably will work with the Shelly Plus1 that I have.
I am very grateful for your assistance. Thank you.
Bob

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:09 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I've never used the Shelly Uni. Is it the "shelly uni relay' in Indigo, meaning that it is directly compatible with Indigo?
Looking at the shelly.cloud product photo, there are 4 wires on one side, and ribbon cable on the other - and I suspect no documentation (I subscribe to the dictum, 'if it's not documented, it doesn't exist') - which is certainly true for me.
Is there a wiring diagram for an application - such as temperature or luminosity measurement - that could get me started?

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:23 pm
tazswe offline

Yes Shelly Uni is included in the Shelly plugin and will work with Indigo.

You connect two of the four cables to the garage opener and the magnetic sensor (sw1) between load and IN2.

12v connects between L and N.

Hope it makes sense when you watch the picture.

DHT22 and DS18820 are for sensors that are not needed for the garage door, you can probably play with them if you like to check the temperature or something like that.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:09 pm
SMUSEBY offline

That's very interesting.
Again, Thank You.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:57 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I'm afraid I need clarification re the wiring of the Shelly 1 for the garage door opener.
My guess (and questions) as to the wiring in the diagram is:
    L & N are used to power the Shelly 1
    O & I are used to trigger the garage door opener
    Are SW & L used for position indication or to trigger the operation? The way I have used these contacts with other shelly devices is to trip the associated Shelly device. That seems inconsistent with their use here as an indication of door position. Perhaps this is what the Input page is for?
    I also have a wall button which triggers the opener. Can I assume one connects these to the garage door opener in parallel with the Shelly 1?

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:35 am
tazswe offline

Connect your wall button in parallel with O&I to trigger the door.

Change the bridge according to the enclosed picture. When you use the Shelly 1 with 12 volts it don’t operate as it does with 220 volt and that makes it a bit confusing.

Just follow the wiring in the pictures and it will work fine.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:23 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I've made the Shelly Plus1 work with the reed switch, but wiring the garage door operator button in parallel with the reed switch renders the reed switch useless as a door position indicator. - i.e., unless I'm missing something, it will operate the door in the same was as the button.
The button on the wall closes the contact on the door operator until the button is released. This either opens or closes the door. Using the O and I terminals on the Shelly 1 with Indigo will require a trigger that opens the O and I terminals similar to the release of the button.
Because the Shelly 1L has two SW terminals, it would probably work if it talked to Indigo.
I'm proceeding with two Shelly Plus1 devices.
thanks once again for your help.
Bob

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:33 pm
tazswe offline

The door operator button should be connect between O and I and not in parallel with the read switch.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:27 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I've got it working, but it wasn't as simple as I'd hoped. The wall button uses intelligence and there's no 12v available to power the Shelly devices., While a single press opens and closes the door, the close circuitry sends the close signal until the door is closed. I haven't been able to find the closed sensor. So to operate the close with Indigo, I need to keep the close command going for 15 seconds; the open works with a single brief signal.
My very inelegant solution is two Shelly Plus1 - one to operate, and one to indicate open, and an Indigo trigger that keeps the close signal on for about 15 seconds. Better would be a second reed switch to determine when it's closed to terminate the Indigo close command. Rather than add a third Shelly Plus 1, a neater solution would be the Shelly Uni - with two switches to communicate the open and close conditions to Indigo. I hope I can figure it out, but with your schematic, it looks easy.
Bob

Page 1 of 1