Shelly Power Consumption not available

Posted on
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:32 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Shelly Power Consumption not available

While trying to determine which Shelly devices to purchase, I have experimented with the Shelly1, Shelly1 PM, and Shelly 2.5. I am not able to obtain power consumption as follows:
In order to integrate the Shelly devices with Indigo, for each Shelly device configuration, in the Internet & Security Settings / Advanced Settings / MQTT needs to be selected.
With MQTT selected, Cloud cannot be selected - it's one or the other
I installed the Shelly App on my phone; with MQTT enabled (and Cloud disabled),
Controlling On/Off is possible
This app shows real-time power consumption for devices connected for both the Shelly2.5 and Shelly1 PM, but not for the Shelly1 devices
The app has a message that Cloud must be enabled to collect consumption data
On my iPad, I installed the more recent Shelly app which has a 'Beta' label under the Shelly logo in the upper left
On this app, all the devices are off-line, and cannot be controlled
Experimenting, I enabled cloud for one of my devices, and with it enabled, it does appear on the Beta version of the app
Using the website, home.shelly.cloud, the result is the same as the beta app - all devices are off-line.
In short, with MQTT selected, neither version of the Shelly app has useful power consumption data for the three Shelly devices, Shelly1, Shell1 PM and Shelly2.5.

Is it possible to configure the devices to obtain power consumption data? - in Indigo, the home.shelly website, or on either of the Shelly Apps?

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:44 pm
Colly offline

Re: Shelly Power Consumption not available

See image of one of my Shelly 1PM's. Current Power shows consumption data.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 18.41.56.png
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 18.41.56.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:32 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

Yep, the Gen1 Shelly devices support either being controlled by MQTT or by the Cloud. You only get one at a time.

Of the devices you tested with, the Shelly 1PM and Shelly 2.5 support power monitoring, but for AC loads only.

If you are not seeing power details in Indigo, then there is something weird going on with the devices being created not having the proper states. Can you confirm which version of Indigo you are running? I haven't touched the code that should be handing creating those states in a very long time, so they should be initializing properly.

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:49 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Can you confirm which version of Indigo you are running?
. 2022.2.0

I hadn't looked in Indigo. In Device Details, I have both Current Power, and Energy Usage. This looks like what I would like to have.
Is there some way to extract the latter to a file on a schedule? Is there something available?, or maybe it's a python challenge for me.

Is there any hope that Shelly will be able to enable Cloud and MQTT simultaneously?

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:52 pm
SMUSEBY offline

The cloud version has some very nice presentations. I'm hoping that both Cloud and MQTT can be simultaneous active.

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:56 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

SMUSEBY wrote:
The cloud version has some very nice presentations. I'm hoping that both Cloud and MQTT can be simultaneous active.

All Gen-1 devices use the ESP-8266 processor (except the Motions), so they are limited by processing power. Shelly documentation states:

Note, that enabling MQTT will disable Allterco's cloud service

Gen-2 devices use the more powerful ESP-32 processor, but I have never tested enabling MQTT and Cloud since I don't want cloud devices :lol:

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:04 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I didn't know about gen2. I just ordered several yesterday - 1, 1 pm, and 2.5. I have no idea which flavor is currently being served.
I think the cloud is required for storing data, and presenting it. Are you saying that perhaps the newer processor my have both features available? If so, I can cancel my order.

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

SMUSEBY wrote:
I didn't know about gen2. I just ordered several yesterday - 1, 1 pm, and 2.5. I have no idea which flavor is currently being served.
I think the cloud is required for storing data, and presenting it. Are you saying that perhaps the newer processor my have both features available? If so, I can cancel my order.

Gen 2 devices have the "Plus" in their model name. I think they are phasing out the Get 1 devices as the Gen 2 devices are maturing.

I have a separate plugin with its own forum for these Gen 2 devices. viewforum.php?f=376

I went into the config for my Shelly Plus 1 (a Gen 2 device) and was able to enable the Cloud setting and MQTT setting at the same time. I have no way of testing to see if the cloud actually works, but I have no reason to doubt it doesn't.

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I thought the '+' indicated bluetooth. Thanks for the info.
Off to the vendor...

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:24 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

The second generation of Shelly devices, called Shelly-NG, is finally here. These devices use faster processor, have more memory, and perform better than the classic Shelly devices. They support Bluetooth Low Energy feature which makes the task of provisioning much easier. Shelly-NG standardizes the user interfaces, solves many problems with the API consistency, and provides more structures used as base building blocks of the new API.

They currently have the following "NG" or "Plus" or "Gen 2" devices:
  • Shelly Plus 1
  • Shelly Plus 1 PM
  • Shelly Plus 2 PM
  • Shelly Plus I4
  • Shelly Plus Plug IT
  • Shelly Plus Plug S
  • Shelly Plus Plug UK
  • Shelly Plus Plug US
  • Shelly Plus H&T
  • Shelly Plus WallDimmer
  • Shelly Plus Smoke
  • Shelly Pro 1
  • Shelly Pro 1 PM
  • Shelly Pro 2
  • Shelly Pro 3 EM
  • Shelly Pro 2 PM
  • Shelly Pro 3
  • Shelly Pro 4 PM

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:52 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Good to know. Thank you.

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:35 am
CliveS offline

If you require power consumption then the following will be fine

https://www.shelly.cloud/en-us/products/product-overview#43e73c569e094a20aabe8d83a5f2426d

Then if you want MQTT and cloud then only the Pro and Plus range will give you that.

Also the PM in the description is for 'Power Meter'

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Page 1 of 1