Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:29 pm
siclark offline

Re: Shelly TRV

Sorry. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Posted on
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:04 pm
siclark offline

Hi, I have installed the lastest version but still no joy. I see the schedule names in the MQTT settings payload but still no name in the drop down.

Posted on
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:12 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

siclark wrote:
Hi, I have installed the lastest version but still no joy. I see the schedule names in the MQTT settings payload but still no name in the drop down.

Hmm ok. I might have found the answer on their API.

Can you try publishing a message through MQTT explorer on the topic “shellies/shellytrv-<id>/thermostat/0/command” (put in your TRV details) with a message of “settings” (no quotes, just plaintext). It looks like that will force the device to broadcast those settings, and then the plugin can parse them.

I would expect the values in the list to be populated after this. If not… I guess time for some custom debug logging.

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:09 am
siclark offline

Morning. I have just tried that, although had rebooted the TRV and made setting changes and verified that this had also republished the settings but no, still not populated.

EDIT: I just realised that my MQTT connector plugin was frozen from lunchtime yesterday and so whilst the log appeared to show MQTT activity, it was only your plugin attempting to send. Nothing coming back into Indigo. A restart of that plugin and all was good, it saw the queue of messages with the settings in, processed them, and I do now see the names in the drop down.

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:06 am
aaronlionsheep offline

siclark wrote:
Morning. I have just tried that, although had rebooted the TRV and made setting changes and verified that this had also republished the settings but no, still not populated.

EDIT: I just realised that my MQTT connector plugin was frozen from lunchtime yesterday and so whilst the log appeared to show MQTT activity, it was only your plugin attempting to send. Nothing coming back into Indigo. A restart of that plugin and all was good, it saw the queue of messages with the settings in, processed them, and I do now see the names in the drop down.

Oh fantastic! Give it a try for a few days and let me know how it all works now that it should have most, if not all, the TRV features. I don’t have TRV’s over here, so I don’t really know what you need from them.

Thanks,
Aaron

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:14 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

This has been released as v0.9.0 on GitHub and is available in the plugin store 8)

https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/236/

https://github.com/AaronLionsheep/Shell ... /tag/0.9.0

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:09 pm
CliveS offline

Moved message as requested

I noticed that the status icon for my Shelly TRV is an On/Off switch icon (permanently off) instead of a flame icon and the Heat Setpoint icon is a flame but is permanently on. Also no log output when the setpoint is updated.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:43 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

CliveS wrote:
Moved message as requested

I noticed that the status icon for my Shelly TRV is an On/Off switch icon (permanently off) instead of a flame icon and the Heat Setpoint icon is a flame but is permanently on. Also no log output when the setpoint is updated.

Thanks - I have to attempt to stay somewhat organized here, and maybe siclark can jump in too.

I deleted my test TRV and made a new device using the latest version of the plugin, and this is the icon I am seeing:
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.35.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.35.48 PM.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

You are not seeing that flame icon, but rather the power icon like in the device above it? @siclark, do you see the flame in yours?

The heat set point icon (screenshot shows what I think you are referring to) is always a flame right now.
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.38.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.38.19 PM.png (12.63 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

I'm not doing anything with the thermostat modes other than keeping it in heat only. What behavior are you expecting, or would prefer? I had previously suggested making the Indigo device show as "Program Heat" when the device was running it's own schedule, but siclark didn't seem to think that was necessary.

And as for logging, there isn't any. What would you be interested in seeing?

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:00 am
siclark offline

Hi Aaron...
I just did some testing with the latest version, and yes a new TRV device does show the flame, but when it receives data from the TRV it then gets replaced with the power symbol.

Clive - agree the icons are not ideal, although I dont use them much (and Jon's TRV plugin also doesnt make the flame icon go red in the Devices panel) as I tend to use Homekit more and we were working on getting the basic functionality work, and it working in Homekit.

I also supplied an example json from the TRV plugin to help, which probably wasnt ideal for the above reason, and maybe the Heatmiser one is better as that does get the icons correct.

Aaron, I see power icon here
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 08.57.10.png
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 08.57.10.png (29.88 KiB) Viewed 2212 times

and the flame icon here (although always on).
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 08.58.05.png
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 08.58.05.png (159.76 KiB) Viewed 2212 times

So agree it would be nice to get these correctly reflecting the state, ie whether valve is =0 or not.

Also I still see the set point of 7c in Homekit, not sure why.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:57 am
CliveS offline

I have been using the Honeywell plugin for years but it is now looks like it will not be updated from Python2
So I will be moving over gradually to Shelly TRV.

I see the following when Setpoint is more than Temperature

Setpoint-More-Than-Temp.png
Setpoint-More-Than-Temp.png (166.3 KiB) Viewed 2201 times

And when the Setpoint is the same or less than Temperature

Setpoint-Less-Than-Temp.png
Setpoint-Less-Than-Temp.png (164.87 KiB) Viewed 2201 times

But when Shelly is less than or equal to Temperature

Shelly-Setpoint-Less-Icon-Flame.png
Shelly-Setpoint-Less-Icon-Flame.png (189.82 KiB) Viewed 2201 times

For the log I get output every time I change Setpoint

Honeywell [EV Zone: Hall-Bedroom]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 16.0
Honeywell [EV Zone: Hall-Bedroom]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 17.0
Honeywell [EV Zone: Hall-Bedroom]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 18.0
Honeywell [EV Zone: Hall-Bedroom]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 19.0
Honeywell [EV Zone: Hall-Bedroom]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 18.0
Honeywell [EV Zone: Hall-Bedroom]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 17.0

But that is not really important as I run an hourly schedule as each radiator has 24 settings and generates
its own log output each hour , maybe no output looks better

Script En Suite Temperature No Change 17°C
Script
Script Hall Bedroom Temperature No Change 17°C
Script
Script Hall Kitchen Temperature Changed From 16°C To 19°C. <<<< Shelly TRV

Script Living Room Door Temperature Changed From 17°C To 21°C. <<<<Honeywell TRV
Honeywell [EV Zone: Living Room Door]: Setting Heat Setpoint to: 21.0. <<<<< Honeywell TRV

Script Living Room Front Temperature No Change 21°C
Script
Script Utility Room Temperature No Change 15°C

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:58 pm
siclark offline

Shelly TRV

I currently have a Shelly plus H@T linked to my TRv which is nice, but expensive.

Given I’m currently using sonoff zigbee sensors with my TRVs, I’m assuming I could just get those to push temperature updates to the TRV. It doesn’t have to be a Shelly device?
This would make replacing the Spirits with Shelly TRVs cheaper.

I believe the temperature is published here.
Code: Select all
 https://192.168.0.xxx/ext_t?temp=${ev.tC}

If I set up a trigger for changes on temp on any device I could presumably do the same with an action. (Not sure what action or plug-in though)

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:50 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

That's perfect Clive, let me see what I can come up with. This is my first interaction with Thermostats in Indigo, and I've had to do a lot of YouTube watching to learn about what a TRV is. I've been flying blind for a bit :mrgreen:

If you have you setpoint at 18C and your TRV finally detects the temperature has reached 18C, does it fully close the valve, or does it keep it slightly open to keep the temperature constant? I'm wondering if I should monitor the value position going to 0 as an indicator the TRV is "off", or if I should be comparing the current temperature with the target temperature.

siclark wrote:
I currently have a Shelly plus H@T linked to my TRv which is nice, but expensive.

Given I’m currently using sonoff zigbee sensors with my TRVs, I’m assuming I could just get those to push temperature updates to the TRV. It doesn’t have to be a Shelly device?

If I set up a trigger for changes on temp on any device I could presumably do the same with an action. (Not sure what action or plug-in though)

Ok, so that must be what one of the MQTT topics if for :D
What if the TRV config allowed you to pick a device or variable in the device config to use as an external temperature sensor. It could be any Indigo sensor device (even non-Shelly) that reports a temperature, or a variable that contains a temperature. When this device/variable changes, the plugin could relay that temperature to the TRV as the external temperature.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:56 pm
siclark offline

aaronlionsheep wrote:
That's perfect Clive, let me see what I can come up with. This is my first interaction with Thermostats in Indigo, and I've had to do a lot of YouTube watching to learn about what a TRV is. I've been flying blind for a bit :mrgreen:

If you have you setpoint at 18C and your TRV finally detects the temperature has reached 18C, does it fully close the valve, or does it keep it slightly open to keep the temperature constant? I'm wondering if I should monitor the value position going to 0 as an indicator the TRV is "off", or if I should be comparing the current temperature with the target temperature.

The heating is on whilst the valve is open. Comparing setpoint to reported is not reliable as yes it tries to keep the valve a little open to maintain the temp.

aaronlionsheep wrote:

siclark wrote:

Ok, so that must be what one of the MQTT topics if for :D
What if the TRV config allowed you to pick a device or variable in the device config to use as an external temperature sensor. It could be any Indigo sensor device (even non-Shelly) that reports a temperature, or a variable that contains a temperature. When this device/variable changes, the plugin could relay that temperature to the TRV as the external temperature.

That would be perfect (and just as the TRV plug-in does!) I’m even wondering if I have 2 in a room and create a device of the average to use in some cases.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

siclark wrote:
The heating is on whilst the valve is open. Comparing setpoint to reported is not reliable as yes it tries to keep the valve a little open to maintain the temp.

Sorry, but I just want to make sure are on the same page. The device is technically heating when the valve position is > 0, and it might stay open (slightly) to maintain temperature? So for icon/status purposes, should it:

a) Show "off" when valve position is 0, and "heating" when valve position > 0
or
b) Show "off" when current reported temp equals the setpoint, and "heating" when current temp < setpoint
or
c) I missed the point and it's neither a nor b.

siclark wrote:
That would be perfect (and just as the TRV plug-in does!) I’m even wondering if I have 2 in a room and create a device of the average to use in some cases.

Yeah that was my thought with possibly letting you chose a variable value. You could do whatever you want with triggers to update that variable and feed a value into the TRV.

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:47 am
siclark offline

My vote is (a).

Clive?