Shelly TRV

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:36 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

Re: Shelly TRV

siclark wrote:

Hi, Now I have some more installed I am setting up more Schedules, and the associated action groups in Indigo. It appears the plugin sees the schedule names broadcast in Settings and displays them after they have been updated on the Shelly device. But a short while later (possibly somewhere between 3-10 minutes) it seems to forget them, despite them still showing in the most recent Settings message in MQTT explorer.
Any ideas what might cause this?

So you are saying the "Set TRV Schedule Profile" action UI correctly displays and lets you pick the schedules defined on the TRV. But then, some minutes later, the action UI no longer populates the list of schedule names?

I think I had found the Shelly documentation was simply incorrect for this device, so can you capture some MQTT logs using MQTT explorer, or using any other tool? I need to see the topic and message content to confirm my suspicion.

There are multiple topics that publish "info" and "settings" about the thermostat. One appears to include schedule information while the other does not. I have the indigo device subscribed to both, and when the schedule names are not found in a message it is resetting the internal list. I'll have to think through how to handle that case - I want it to be possible for the device to clear schedule names or rename them. Having a log of topics and the content will help massively to confirm what exactly is going on.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:27 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

aaronlionsheep wrote:
siclark wrote:

Hi, Now I have some more installed I am setting up more Schedules, and the associated action groups in Indigo. It appears the plugin sees the schedule names broadcast in Settings and displays them after they have been updated on the Shelly device. But a short while later (possibly somewhere between 3-10 minutes) it seems to forget them, despite them still showing in the most recent Settings message in MQTT explorer.
Any ideas what might cause this?

So you are saying the "Set TRV Schedule Profile" action UI correctly displays and lets you pick the schedules defined on the TRV. But then, some minutes later, the action UI no longer populates the list of schedule names?

I think I had found the Shelly documentation was simply incorrect for this device, so can you capture some MQTT logs using MQTT explorer, or using any other tool? I need to see the topic and message content to confirm my suspicion.

There are multiple topics that publish "info" and "settings" about the thermostat. One appears to include schedule information while the other does not. I have the indigo device subscribed to both, and when the schedule names are not found in a message it is resetting the internal list. I'll have to think through how to handle that case - I want it to be possible for the device to clear schedule names or rename them. Having a log of topics and the content will help massively to confirm what exactly is going on.

I went ahead and implemented the fix anyway. I released this in v1.0.2 and its available from the plugin store. Please let me know if the new version seems to fix what you were seeing.

You don't need to try and capture the MQTT messages if this version seems to fix the issue. I'm not sure how repeatable it was, but I've got tests in place that cover what I assumed was happening.

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:21 pm
siclark offline

Sorry.. missed your first message. Its installed, just need to test when I get some time.
I had guessed at the issue with the various messages but hadnt been able to work out which one was dropping the names.
Will let you know.

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:27 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

siclark wrote:
Sorry.. missed your first message. Its installed, just need to test when I get some time.
I had guessed at the issue with the various messages but hadnt been able to work out which one was dropping the names.
Will let you know.

All good!

I realized I should just handle the case better when a thermostat message doesn't include the schedule key. Now when no schedule information is sent the internal schedule names are not modified. If this issue persists, then we I'll definitely need those logs :lol: