Shelly Dimmer 2

Posted on
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:50 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

Re: Shelly Dimmer 2

Colly wrote:
Hi Aaron,
Any chance you could take a look at this error in a future update? Bit of a nuisance in the log. Get it every 30 secs or so :roll:
Code: Select all
16 Aug 2022 at 21:35:51
   Error                           device "Dimmer Sit Room" state key accumEnergyTotal not defined (ignoring update request)
   Error                           device "Dimmer Sit Room" state key accumEnergyTotal not defined (ignoring update request)

Thanks
Colly

I have a new (to me) Mac mini coming this week, so I'll be able to upgrade past 7.4.1 and I can hopefully reproduce this issue!

Posted on
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:53 pm
Colly offline

Sounds like a plan.

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:04 am
aaronlionsheep offline

Colly wrote:
Hi Aaron,
Any chance you could take a look at this error in a future update? Bit of a nuisance in the log. Get it every 30 secs or so :roll:
Code: Select all
16 Aug 2022 at 21:35:51

Thanks
Colly

Hi Colly. I just got the new Mini running, and I'm running on 2022.1.2 now. I am running the latest version of ShellyMQTT (0.7.3), but I still can't replicate the error you are having. Can you confirm which version of the plugin and Indigo you are using?

One additional test I might suggest is to create the same device again in Indigo. Don't use the duplicate button, but just create the device again using the same settings. You will have 2 indigo devices for it, but that won't cause any issues. See if the new device also logs the same error.

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:47 pm
Colly offline

Hi Aaron,
I’m away for a few days, back next Thursday so will follow up then.
Thanks
Colly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:41 pm
Colly offline

Hi Aaron,
New device created and no error so far... I thought I did that previously. Sorry for wasting your time. :(
Colly

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:01 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

Colly wrote:
Hi Aaron,
New device created and no error so far... I thought I did that previously. Sorry for wasting your time. :(
Colly

I'm glad that did the trick - I was out of ideas! :lol:

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:57 am
siclark offline

I am in need of a new dimmer module to go into a single back box that ideally would have 2 switches, one dimmable controlled locally, and another for use as a scene controller.

The old qubino flush dimmer (as unreliable as it was) had 3 inputs so you could use 3 way momentary switch, and have a toggle switch for scenes.
The Fibaro dimmer lets you operate the dimmer with a momentary switch on S1 only (holding dims up and then down) whilst you can do scenes with another switch on S2.

Can I do similar to the Fibaro with the Shelly Dimmer 2? ie control dimmable load on SW1 and use SW2 as another device in Indigo which can trigger other devices to turn on and off?

Cheers
Simon.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:17 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

siclark wrote:
I am in need of a new dimmer module to go into a single back box that ideally would have 2 switches, one dimmable controlled locally, and another for use as a scene controller.

The old qubino flush dimmer (as unreliable as it was) had 3 inputs so you could use 3 way momentary switch, and have a toggle switch for scenes.
The Fibaro dimmer lets you operate the dimmer with a momentary switch on S1 only (holding dims up and then down) whilst you can do scenes with another switch on S2.

Can I do similar to the Fibaro with the Shelly Dimmer 2? ie control dimmable load on SW1 and use SW2 as another device in Indigo which can trigger other devices to turn on and off?

Cheers
Simon.

Unfortunately the "2" in Dimmer 2 is the version of the device rather than the number of inputs/outputs.

I don't know the size of box you are working with (or your electrical code), but you could try putting in a Shelly Plus i4 in addition to a Dimmer 2. It just does 4 inputs with AC input high/low. There is a DC version the operates on lower, DC voltages too.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:26 pm
siclark offline

Shelly Dimmer 2

I appreciate the 2 is the version. I don’t think any dimmer can control more than one dimmable load, it’s more about the firmware’s ability to treat SW2 as a separate entity that can be controlled by a second switch and be used to wirelessly control another device.

“Second switch input for controlling additional associated devices or 2-way installations”. From the Fibaro Dimmer guide.

Guess it will have to be the Fibaro then, sadly at twice the price of the Shelly.
It’s not surprising it can’t as the Aeotec dimmer can’t and it’s even more expensive than the Fibaro.

Unfortunately UK single gang back boxes don’t allow for more than one module inside.

It’s a shame as we can get multiple switches in a single gang but only a single module. I could make it double but that looks a bit weird.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:29 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

siclark wrote:
I appreciate the 2 is the version. I don’t think any dimmer can control more than one dimmable load, it’s more about the firmware’s ability to treat SW2 as a separate entity that can be controlled by a second switch and be used to wirelessly control another device.

“Second switch input for controlling additional associated devices or 2-way installations”. From the Fibaro Dimmer guide.

Guess it will have to be the Fibaro then, sadly at twice the price of the Shelly.
It’s not surprising it can’t as the Aeotec dimmer can’t and it’s even more expensive than the Fibaro.

Unfortunately UK single gang back boxes don’t allow for more than one module inside.

It’s a shame as we can get multiple switches in a single gang but only a single module. I could make it double but that looks a bit weird.

Maybe I spoke too soon. The API doesn't mention a SW2 input, but its very obviously there in the screenshots on the product page.

Maybe Colly can help us out and see if MQTT makes that second input available...

EDIT: Sorry, I can't read. It IS documented in their API, but the plugin appears to be ignoring that. I could add that as a second boolean state to the device to detect when that 2nd input is pressed. You can also detect short-presses and long-presses as plugins vents to run other triggers.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm
Colly offline

I’ve a spare dimmer that wouldn’t take too much effort to connect up and test.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:55 am
siclark offline

EDIT: Sorry, I can't read. It IS documented in their API, but the plugin appears to be ignoring that. I could add that as a second boolean state to the device to detect when that 2nd input is pressed. You can also detect short-presses and long-presses as plugins vents to run other triggers.

Brilliant.. that would be amazing. Question is now could you control dimming via only SW1 input. ie cycle up and dimming via holding for instance.

Posted on
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:36 am
siclark offline

Looking at the wiring diagrams looks like they dimmer 1 could have a single switch but dimmer 2 doesn't seem to support that.
I've asked Shelly support the question.

Meanwhile I have found some ZigBee dimmer options that might work.

Posted on
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:18 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I had the same error with the Shelly2.5.
I created a new device, deleted the old one, and FWIW, the error log reported the fix:
Error device "x bYrd-DeckMktLts MQTT errors" state key curEnergyLevel not defined (ignoring update request)
Error device "x bYrd-DeckMktLts MQTT errors" state key curEnergyLevel not defined (ignoring update request)
Error device "x bYrd-DeckMktLts MQTT errors" state key accumEnergyTotal not defined (ignoring update request)
Error device "x bYrd-DeckMktLts MQTT errors" state key accumEnergyTotal not defined (ignoring update request)
ShellyMQTT Stopping "x bYrd-DeckMktLts MQTT errors"...

Note: the 'errors' in the log was my temporary name for the original device to distinguish it from the new one.