Shelly 2.5 - pending messages in log

Posted on
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 pm
Espressomatic offline

Shelly 2.5 - pending messages in log

After adding a 2.5 to my network, I'm seeing the following in Indigo's log:

Code: Select all
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:50:30 PM
   MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 11 messages pending
   MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 12 messages pending

Any idea how to clear and prevent those messages from showing up? It's logging them as often as every 30 seconds.

Posted on
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:14 pm
tazswe offline

Re: Shelly 2.5 - pending messages in log

First try to upgrade to the latest MQTT Connector plugin, that will probably solve the problem.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 pm
Espressomatic offline

Already running the latest from github, 0.4.10

I thought restarting the MQTT Connector solved it, but that was wishful thinking.

Posted on
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Go into the plugin config dialog and change the queue size to 30 or so.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 am
Espressomatic offline

Queue size is already 30. Not sure if that was default or if I'd previously changed it as per another suggestion.

Posted on
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:43 am
aaronlionsheep offline

Espressomatic wrote:
    Queue size is already 30. Not sure if that was default or if I'd previously changed it as per another suggestion.

I would bump the queue size up to a higher number (I think 30 is the new default). I personally run with a queue size of 50 with 2 Shelly Bulbs and 2 Shelly PlugUS's. Due to how fast the messages come in and the speed at which they can be processed, I would not be surprised to see a spike of 100+ messages on an active setup during a busy period. And that would be perfectly normal behavior due to the speeds at which these things are actually happening. My post here describes what is actually happening and how amazingly fast this all occurs.

FlyingDiver wrote:
    Go into the plugin config dialog and change the queue size to 30 or so.

@FlyingDiver I think there could become confusion around these queue messages. I believe they are necessary as they indicate when something in the pipeline is not working or setup correctly. BUT, there is no "everything is ok now" message. So users are left with a log message saying there are 32 messages pending. Do you think a message could be logged when a queue exceeds the threshold and the queue is subsequently emptied? I think that might make these messages less intimidating.

Posted on
    Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:57 am
    Espressomatic offline

50 and 100 still produced the messages with the plugin set to Warning Level. Should I keep increasing that to find the point at which the warnings stop or change the logging threshold to a higher level? Changing the event logging level to Critical still seems to have produced the two warning messages after reloading the plugin, but so far only once in over 10 minutes.

I have the following Shelly devices currently on my network:

2x Shelly1
    2x Shelly Uni
    1x Shelly 2.5
    1x Shelly Plug

I also have another 3 plugs and a couple (each) of Shelly1s and Shelly RGBW2 to add soon.

Posted on
    Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 am
    aaronlionsheep offline

Espressomatic wrote:
    50 and 100 still produced the messages with the plugin set to Warning Level. Should I keep increasing that to find the point at which the warnings stop? Changing the event logging level to Critical also seemed to have no effect - the Warning messages continue, but looks like less frequently.

I have the following Shelly devices currently on my network:

2x Shelly1
    2x Shelly Uni
    1x Shelly 2.5
    1x Shelly Plug

I also have another 3 plugs and a couple (each) of Shelly1s and Shelly RGBW2 to add soon.

Just to confirm, you updated your queue warning size to 50 and you eventually received a message saying there were more than 50 messages queued?

Have you changed the frequency at which the devices report information over MQTT? The default is 30 seconds, but it sounds like you have multiple devices (maybe 3) that are reporting at almost the same time. Are there any devices that share the same power source and could have been powered on at the same time?

Posted on
    Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:18 am
    FlyingDiver offline

aaronlionsheep wrote:
    @FlyingDiver I think there could become confusion around these queue messages. I believe they are necessary as they indicate when something in the pipeline is not working or setup correctly. BUT, there is no "everything is ok now" message. So users are left with a log message saying there are 32 messages pending. Do you think a message could be logged when a queue exceeds the threshold and the queue is subsequently emptied? I think that might make these messages less intimidating.

Not as simple as it might sound. Right now I just check the queue size when adding something to it. I could report when the queue is empty, but I don't want to do that on every fetch. So I'd have to keep track of the fact that the queue had gone over the warning level at one time. Makes it a lot more complicated.

Right now I want to know if the OP is getting messages that say it's over the original 10 limit or over his new 50 or 100 limit. If it's still reporting at 11 or 12 there's some other bug.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
    Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:27 am
    FlyingDiver offline

Actually I did just find a bug in how the queue warning limit was set after plugin restart.

Try 0.4.11: https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-M ... tag/0.4.11

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
    Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am
    Espressomatic offline

aaronlionsheep wrote:
    Just to confirm, you updated your queue warning size to 50 and you eventually received a message saying there were more than 50 messages queued?

Updated to 50, but messages remained the same, always 11 and 12 together or 11 and 11 together.

Have you changed the frequency at which the devices report information over MQTT?

No, not touched any configuration params to do with MQTT besides turning ON MQTT and setting the server address in the Shelly web UI.

The default is 30 seconds, but it sounds like you have multiple devices (maybe 3) that are reporting at almost the same time. Are there any devices that share the same power source and could have been powered on at the same time?

No, none can be (and have not been) powered up at precisely the same time unless there's a power failure at the house.

FlyingDiver wrote:
    Actually I did just find a bug in how the queue warning limit was set after plugin restart.
    Try 0.4.11: https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-M ... tag/0.4.11

I'll give that a shot.

Posted on
    Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am
    Espressomatic offline

Just about to try the new Connector, but in the meantime thought I'd put things back to original settings "just to check"

First set Event logging back to Warning - no messages appearing
    Next set queue back to 30 from 100 - no messages appearing (only left it for 5 minutes or so)

Next updated to ShellyMQTT 0.7.1 from 0.6.0 and this output to the log

Code: Select all
    Apr 13, 2021 at 1:21:10 PM
       Indigo Cocoa client connected
       Stopping plugin ShellyMQTT (pid 482)
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Bedside Lamp #1"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Bedside Lamp #2"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Doorbell Chime Input"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Doorbell Chime relay"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "GamePC Power Sensor"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "GamePC Relay"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "LED Strip1"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "LED Strip2"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "LED Strip3"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "LED Strip4"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Lights - Family Room Ceiling Lights"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Lights - Family Room Panel Lights"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopping "Subwoofer Outlet"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Stopped ShellyMQTT...
       Stopped plugin ShellyMQTT
       Upgrading plugin ShellyMQTT to newer version 0.7.1 (previous version moved to trash)
       Loading plugin "ShellyMQTT 0.7.1"
       Starting plugin "ShellyMQTT 0.7.1" (pid 7053)
       ShellyMQTT                      Log level set to info
       Started plugin "ShellyMQTT 0.7.1"
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Bedside Lamp #1"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Bedside Lamp #2"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Doorbell Chime Input"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Doorbell Chime relay"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "GamePC Power Sensor"...
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "GamePC Relay"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 11 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "LED Strip1"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 12 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 13 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "LED Strip2"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 14 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 15 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "LED Strip3"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 16 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 17 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "LED Strip4"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 18 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 19 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Lights - Family Room Ceiling Lights"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 20 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 21 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Lights - Family Room Panel Lights"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 22 messages pending
       ShellyMQTT                      Starting "Subwoofer Outlet"...
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 23 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 24 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 25 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 26 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 27 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 28 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 29 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 30 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 31 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 32 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 33 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 34 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 35 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 36 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 37 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 38 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 39 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 40 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 41 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 42 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 43 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 44 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 45 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 46 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 47 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 48 messages pending
       MQTT Connector Warning          Queue for message type 'shelly' has 49 messages pending

But nothing since then, about 7 minutes ago. So messages seem to be gone now.

Page 1 of 1