Switchboard (Formerly Indigo Security Script)

Posted on
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:45 pm
bschollnick2 offline

Re: Switchboard (Formerly Indigo Security Script)

DU Lou wrote:
Awesome...
v.72 has enabled me to implement a scenario that I have been wanting to try for about 4 months now!

I'm always interested in hearing how Switchboard has helped.... How about giving us some details?

- Ben

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm
DU Lou offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
DU Lou wrote:
Awesome...
v.72 has enabled me to implement a scenario that I have been wanting to try for about 4 months now!

I'm always interested in hearing how Switchboard has helped.... How about giving us some details?

- Ben

Let me give this a try :)
So I have an 8 Button KPL in the master bedroom. Button 3 is labeled (Bathroom) and controls a Powerlinc scene for the 3 lights in the bathroom.
Pressing KPL3 activates the above mentioned Powerlinc scene and provides the visual feedback by turning on the KPL3 LED.
I also have 3 Switchlinc Dimmers in the bathroom to control the 3 bathroom lights independently.
The issue I wanted to resolve was this:
When turning off the 3 Switchlinc Dimmers in the bathroom (or using Indigo Touch), the LED for KPL3 was still illuminated and indicates a visual false positive that the there may still be a light on in the bathroom.
Resolution:
The below trigger will turn off the LED for KPL Button 3 providing the proper state reflecting the status of the 3 Switchlinc Dimmers (all bathroom lights off) in the bathroom.

Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.31.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.31.52 PM.png (68.12 KiB) Viewed 10038 times

Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.44.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.44.48 PM.png (83.63 KiB) Viewed 10038 times

Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.32.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.32.33 PM.png (76.33 KiB) Viewed 10038 times

The problem I am running into (and this is NO issue with Switchboard) is that when I want to do the reverse, the trigger not only turns on the LED for KPL 3 but also 'Turns On' the button which activates the Powerlinc scene for the bathroom. In other words I want the LED to turn on if ANY of the 3 bathroom Switchlinc dimmers is turned on. Or for example I use Indigo touch. And it does work, however when the trigger runs, it turns On the KPL 3 which activates the Powerlinc scene. I know this is outside the scope of this thread since Switchboard is behaving just as it should. Have I confused everyone? LOL

Bottom line: I want a triggered event or action to illuminate a KPL LED and "Turn On" the associated Button BUT NOT trigger is associated scene. I know this complicates things a bit since Indigo needs to know the state of the LED (LED on/off) on button 3 for example is associated to the state of the button (on/off) itself.

If Ben (or anyone) for that matter has some suggestions to workaround this, I am open :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 pm
terrydew offline

Take a look at the Meta Device plugin in combination with switch board. The meta device will allow the kpl button to be a toggle even while using action groups. Not sure but worth a looksee.

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Without any plugins, you could just create ON triggers for each of the 3 lights in the bathroom which turns on the kpl button on, right?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:45 pm
bschollnick2 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Without any plugins, you could just create ON triggers for each of the 3 lights in the bathroom which turns on the kpl button on, right?

With switchboard, that's easy as well.

The issue, I see, is the trigger that is set to turn on from the KPL 3 being turned on.

I was thinking to have the secondary controllers, set a variable, and then have the main controller trigger, check for the variable... and not "fire" off, if the variable is set... And then have the variable reset back to false...

But it's a little bit more complex then this... I think I have an idea, but I need to think about it a bit more...

------

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:27 pm
DU Lou offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
jay (support) wrote:

With switchboard, that's easy as well.

The issue, I see, is the trigger that is set to turn on from the KPL 3 being turned on.

You are exactly correct Ben. If I disable the trigger that fires the powerlinc seen then Switchboard does exactly what I need (All bathroom lights off = LED Off / ANY Bathroom light On = LED On). The new issue arises however that I want to have the KPL#3 function more than just an LED indicator showing the status of my bathroom lights but I don't want the other trigger for the powerlinc scene "firing" just because the Switchboard trigger changes the state of the KPL button from off to on.

I was thinking to have the secondary controllers, set a variable, and then have the main controller trigger, check for the variable... and not "fire" off, if the variable is set... And then have the variable reset back to false...

But it's a little bit more complex then this... I think I have an idea, but I need to think about it a bit more...

Yeah I was wondering if something needed to be accomplished with conditions, variables, etc. which is a bit over my head I'm afraid!

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure I'm following - how is your trigger defined that's firing when the button is pressed or turned on via Indigo? I think I'd be using a "INSTEON Command Received" trigger to fire the scene - then you can turn on/off the LED at will via Indigo without the trigger firing...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 pm
DU Lou offline

jay (support) wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following - how is your trigger defined that's firing when the button is pressed or turned on via Indigo? I think I'd be using a "INSTEON Command Received" trigger to fire the scene - then you can turn on/off the LED at will via Indigo without the trigger firing...

I may not be using the right vocabulary while attempting to explain this, I like pictures better anyway :)
So when Indigo receives a command to turn on KPL#3 (Usually by physically depressing the KPL 3 button), this trigger "KPL 3 (Bathroom Scene On)" fires

Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 4.55.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 4.55.10 PM.png (23.51 KiB) Viewed 10011 times

Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 4.55.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 4.55.26 PM.png (35.9 KiB) Viewed 10011 times

Right now my "KPL 3 (Bathroom Scene On)" trigger is disabled because when the below Switchboard trigger fires:

Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 5.02.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 5.02.21 PM.png (24.41 KiB) Viewed 10011 times

Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 5.02.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 5.02.42 PM.png (23.91 KiB) Viewed 10011 times

Then my "KPL 3 (Bathroom Scene On)" trigger fires and that is not the desired outcome in this scenario. Does that help clear things up a bit? :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep - switch that first picture from a "Device State Changed" trigger to an "INSTEON Command Received" trigger and select the correct button. Then it will only fire when you actually press the button and it turns ON. It won't fire when you turn it on via the action in the last picture.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 pm
DU Lou offline

jay (support) wrote:
Yep - switch that first picture from a "Device State Changed" trigger to an "INSTEON Command Received" trigger and select the correct button. Then it will only fire when you actually press the button and it turns ON. It won't fire when you turn it on via the action in the last picture.

Holy Toledo! :shock:
Ummmmmm (sheepishly) Thanks Jay!

SO.... Switchboard and Indigo (with respect to this small project) now behave exactly the way I need/want!

Posted on
Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:40 pm
DU Lou offline

Switchboard v.72

Hi Ben,
Two other items I noticed for your attention:

1) It appears when any single device is turned on the monitored device group will actually show 2 devices triggered:
Code: Select all
Sep 5, 2012 6:40:05 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Lava Lamp" on
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Lava Lamp": [(u'onOffState', True)]
  Switchboard Debug                  Device (Lava Lamp) is in Monitored Group 'Bedroom Group'
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Triggered_In_Group', u',Lava Lamp')]
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Triggered_In_Group', u'Lava Lamp')]
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Number_Triggered_Devices', 2)]
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Devices_Triggered', True)]
  Switchboard Debug               no state change for "Bedroom Group" (ignoring update)
  Switchboard Debug               no state change for "Bedroom Group" (ignoring update)

Screen Shot 2012-09-05 at 6.36.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-05 at 6.36.27 PM.png (19.61 KiB) Viewed 10002 times

This does not affect me since at the moment I really only care about 'Number of Devices Currently on or triggered = 0 or >0

2) Not sure if this is by design but I wanted to point out the following:
I have created Monitored Device Group A & B
It appears that if I have added Device X to both groups only one group (A for example) will reflect any updates. Once again this isn't a work stoppage since I can conditionally account for devices in both groups. However, moving forward, if possible, it would be nice to have Device X monitored in both Groups A & B. Let me know if you need further clarification on this.

Thanks again!
Lou

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 am
bschollnick2 offline

Re: Switchboard v.72

DU Lou wrote:
Hi Ben,
Two other items I noticed for your attention:

1) It appears when any single device is turned on the monitored device group will actually show 2 devices triggered:
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Lava Lamp": [(u'onOffState', True)]
  Switchboard Debug                  Device (Lava Lamp) is in Monitored Group 'Bedroom Group'
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Triggered_In_Group', u',Lava Lamp')]
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Triggered_In_Group', u'Lava Lamp')]
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Number_Triggered_Devices', 2)]
  Switchboard Debug               state change list for "Bedroom Group": [(u'Devices_Triggered', True)]

This does not affect me since at the moment I really only care about 'Number of Devices Currently on or triggered = 0 or >0

Try turning OFF debug mode, and see if that makes a difference....

2) Not sure if this is by design but I wanted to point out the following:
I have created Monitored Device Group A & B
It appears that if I have added Device X to both groups only one group (A for example) will reflect any updates. Once again this isn't a work stoppage since I can conditionally account for devices in both groups. However, moving forward, if possible, it would be nice to have Device X monitored in both Groups A & B. Let me know if you need further clarification on this.

Hmmm... I understand, but I'm not sure that it's anything that I will be able to change soon. The one underlying assumption in Switchboard, is that the device is in a single Monitored group.

I'll be looking into the device numbering issue, Friday night... And I'll see if something might be able to be done with the multiple Monitored groups

------

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:05 pm
bschollnick2 offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
DU Lou wrote:

I can't seem to duplicate this. Can you try this without debugging active, and make sure it's consistent... ?

Are you running v0.72?

------

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:42 pm
DU Lou offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
bschollnick2 wrote:
DU Lou wrote:

I can't seem to duplicate this. Can you try this without debugging active, and make sure it's consistent... ?

Are you running v0.72?

I am running v0.72. I turned debugging off with no change and I have also stopped and restarted the plugin.

Now what is interesting is that in every case when I turn on 1 device, 2 consistently are registered. Then when I turn on the 2nd device the number registered stays at 2, however when I then turn off any one device the count drops to 1 accurately reflecting the number of actual devices on in the group.

So essentially this is what happens when I turn on/off random devices in the group in any random order:
Device A on = 2
Device B on = 2
Device C on = 3
Device C off = 2
Device B off = 1
Device A off = 0

Once again I want to stress this is more an FYI since my triggers fire just fine!

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm
DU Lou offline

Hmmm... I understand, but I'm not sure that it's anything that I will be able to change soon. The one underlying assumption in Switchboard, is that the device is in a single Monitored group.

Understood and no worries. I wasn't sure if this was by design but thought maybe it was :) I can easily with this being the case using conditions with my triggers!

Page 4 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10