FindMyiDevice

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am
rjs104 offline

FindMyiDevice

Hi,

I'm having odd behaviour with the FindMyiDevice plugin (Indigo 6.02, FindMyiDevice 1.75 from memory - the latest I could download here a few days ago anyhow!)

If I start from a standpoint of the plugin being disabled, when I enable it, it does the location find fine and all looks to be well.

It then seems to stall not doing any updates for ages. I have the update time set to 30 minutes at the moment - and currently it's reporting the last update as being 08:37 this morning (its now 18:32 where I am).

If I trigger a manual update, I get a log entry saying that the manual update has been requested, but nothing happens.

Periodically, the plugin gets into a mood where it will do updates regularly for a couple of hours, and then it stalls again.

No errors reported in the log against it though....

Any ideas anyone!?

Cheers,

Richard.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 pm
Dewster35 offline

Re: FindMyiDevice

I have not seen the manual updates work for quite a while. I have resorted to running a script to restart the plugin if I want a manual update, which seems to be working so far. I've been doing this for a little over a month.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 pm
rjs104 offline

That's interesting, and reassuring in the sense that someone else is experiencing similar problems to me.

Do you happen to know if this plugin still being developed? Be a shame to not get it working properly as it offers so much useful functionality.....

... and when it works it's very neatly done.

Cheers,

R.

Posted on
Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:23 pm
bschollnick2 offline

rjs104 wrote:
That's interesting, and reassuring in the sense that someone else is experiencing similar problems to me.

Do you happen to know if this plugin still being developed? Be a shame to not get it working properly as it offers so much useful functionality.....

I am at a bit of a stalemate with Find My iPhone's web interface.

I have a newer library that I want to use, but it requires a newer version of Python then is included with Indigo 6. Along with that, a major issue is simply that the Find my iPhone protocol is all reverse engineered, and it's not always clear on the optimal way of locating multiple devices.

I expect I will need to update FMID due to changes apple will make in FMIP for Mavericks, but that is relying on it being reverse engineered in a timely manner.

Heck, at least it's more reliable then Google's location service. That had my iPhone out on a walk about at 3 am - 5 am.

- Benjamin

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm
macguyincali offline

Hi Ben:

Great plugin. I do believe I'm having the same problems as the aforementioned posters. I will use the force plug in update method as restarting the plug in does seem to update the geo data.

I'm happy to beta test anything, if you need testers. It seems my entire home automation system is a beta so what's one more unpredictable element.

Thanks again. Will be making a contribution at some point soon.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:18 pm
peterbh offline

Something is seriously wrong…

Hello. I just installed your plug in and it has slowed Indigo to a crawl. It takes 2-3 minutes to just pull up the plug in menu and when I tried to add a device the application basically stopped. I am not sure if this is a problem with my particular installation or if this is just a loading problem.

Posted on
Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 pm
captcurrent offline

I am making the painful transition all the way from Indido 4,0 to 6,02 Bit of culture shock

I understand from some post that there are some inherent/underlying problems caused by differences between Indigo 5 which this plugin was designed for and 6
actually I think my issue are far simpler and maybe one of the current users would be wiling to help me

I can't figure out the format for configuring my location in the basic plugin configuration. when start from scratch the form shows 0.0.0
which I assume is degree minutes second How do I account for N and S and W and W??

I tried N 12.10.2 and saw a toe exception Value error invalid literal for float N 12.10.2

among other error s I am also seeing a plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed..

any help would be GREATLY appreciated and I hope to see this ported to Indiigo 6

Posted on
Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 am
captcurrent offline

Re: FindMyiDevice location format

aaahh h I was doing some apple scripting and in the dictionary came across Latitude and Longitude format

turns out west long is negative whole number consisting of degreesminutessconds east positive

south latitude is negative whole and north is positive whole//

plugin loads happy

Posted on
Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 pm
kw123 offline

Would it be possible to add the direction between the device and the home location?

The attached the formula was copied from the web. Found several with the same formula, one had a slightly different one with phi and phi2 interchanged in the Y calculation.

Added the device state .. to my iDevice plugin and it seems to work, but would like to use an official released version.

Thanks so much for a great plugin.

Also added a more frequent update(2 minutes and 5 minutes),
If someone is interested, I can share; but would like the author to approve.

Karl

here is what I added:
Code: Select all
in plugin.py

add:
   def calc_angle(self, origin, destination ):
      """
      Used to calculate the angle between the latitude and longitude of the origin & destination.

inputs -
               origin - (latitude, longitude)
               destination - (latitude, longitude)

outputs -
               returns a float of angle in degrees
                from: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55417.html
      """
      import math
      lat1, lon1 = origin
      lat2, lon2 = destination
      lat1= math.radians(lat1)
      lat2= math.radians(lat2)
      lon1= math.radians(lon1)
      lon2= math.radians(lon2)
      y = math.sin(lon2-lon1)*math.cos(lat2)
      x = math.cos(lat1)*math.sin(lat2)-math.sin(lat1)*math.cos(lat2)*math.cos(lon2-lon1)
      if y >  0.:
         if x >  0. : tc1 =  math.degrees(math.atan(y/x))
         if x <  0. : tc1 =  180. -  math.degrees(math.atan(-y/x))
         if x == 0. : tc1 =  90.
      if y <  0.:
         if x >  0. : tc1 =  math.degrees(-math.atan(-y/x))
         if x <  0. : tc1 =   math.degrees(math.atan(y/x))-180.
         if x == 0. : tc1 =  270.
      if y == 0.:
         if x >  0. : tc1 =  0.
         if x <  0. : tc1 =  180.
         if x == 0. : tc1 =  0.  # 2 points are the same

return tc1

and in    def   process_device   (self, current_indigo_device ):   

add just after the statement  distance = self.calc_distance
      angle = self.calc_angle (    [self.map_latitude, self.map_longitude],
                                       [MobileMe_Location["latitude"], MobileMe_Location["longitude"]]
                                       )
and  just below the "distanceaway"settings:
                  MobileMe_Location["distanceangle"] = angle
and  just below the "DistanceAway" settings:
                  current_indigo_device.updateStateOnServer("DistanceAngle",   MobileMe_Location["distanceangle"])

and in Devices.xml add:
      <State id="DistanceAway">
         <ValueType>Float</ValueType>
         <TriggerLabel>iDevice Distance Away</TriggerLabel>
         <ControlPageLabel>The iDevice is currently</ControlPageLabel>
      </State>
 insert after above code:
      <State id="DistanceAngle">
         <ValueType>Float</ValueType>
         <TriggerLabel>iDevice Distance Angle</TriggerLabel>
         <ControlPageLabel>The iDevice has Angle</ControlPageLabel>
      </State>

Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 3.42.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 3.42.02 PM.png (17.82 KiB) Viewed 6567 times

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 am
bschollnick2 offline

kw123 wrote:
Would it be possible to add the direction between the device and the home location?

Karl,

That looks good. I'll add it to the do list. I am working on an update to FMID, but it's a lot more complex since I am going to have to split this out to an external script, since it uses Python v2.7x code.

Also added a more frequent update(2 minutes and 5 minutes),
If someone is interested, I can share; but would like the author to approve.

Unofficially if it works for you, then that's great. I'm concerned that if it's too quick, then Apple might make it harder to reverse engineer.

- Benjamin

------

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 am
kw123 offline

attached my iPhone distance/ angle using the modified Idevice plugin for the last 2 days.

looking forward to your new plugin.

Karl

it seems I don't like to go west..
Attachments
iphone angle plot-minute-S1.png
iphone angle plot-minute-S1.png (84.23 KiB) Viewed 6522 times

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:59 pm
maslett offline

Dear all,

I recently implemented apple's iCloud 2 factor authentication and FindMyiDevice has stopped working. I tried using an apple application specific password (which in effect bypasses 2 factor) and it doesn't work. If I revert back to my iCloud primary password I get 10's of emails informing me that my account has been accessed by an unrecognized device. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues or have a resolution.

Thanks, Mark

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:29 pm
bschollnick2 offline

maslett wrote:
I recently implemented apple's iCloud 2 factor authentication and FindMyiDevice has stopped working. I tried using an apple application specific password (which in effect bypasses 2 factor) and it doesn't work. If I revert back to my iCloud primary password I get 10's of emails informing me that my account has been accessed by an unrecognized device. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues or have a resolution.

First, I am unaware of anyway to directly support iCloud two factor authentication.

Second, regarding the emails, that fallout from "Celebgate". It is not something that I control via Find My iDevices, instead that's something that Apple controls.

After Celebgate, Apple made a change to the iCloud service. This change is that every time you login to the iCloud website, the service will email you. This is to help prevent hackers from logging in without you being notified.

To my knowledge, there is no way to prevent this from occurring, upon login. There is certainly no "switch" to throw to prevent it, nor any different URL to use.

It's possible that it might be re-engineered to work differently to help minimize the emails, but I don't see anyway to prevent them. Find My idevice works by logging into the iCloud service, and using Find My iDevice, to locate your devices. So there is no way that I can prevent this from occurring.

------

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:52 pm
maslett offline

I would have thought that the application specific password would have worked. As its a unique password that does not require the 2nd level of authentication but it doesn't seem to accept the specific application password credential. Mark

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 pm
midd offline

I didn't activate the 2 factor authentication but I do get an email every 3-6 minutes saying that "Your Apple ID was used to sign in to the Find My iPhone app on a new device."

I've noticed this in the event log:

Sep 26, 2014, 9:09:03 PM
Find My IDevices Manual iDevice Update Requested (from Trigger)
Find My IDevices location: {'latitude': 39.386114487461171, 'timestamp': datetime.datetime(2014, 9, 26, 21, 6, 11), 'longitude': -75.076781809399904, 'accuracy': 10.0}
Find My IDevices location: {'latitude': 39.377054389999977, 'timestamp': datetime.datetime(2014, 9, 26, 21, 6, 13), 'longitude': -75.060197794999965, 'accuracy': 100.0}

The line in bold print caught my eye. So I tried disabling the plugin. Since then, no more emails about Find My iPhone. I'm guessing that Apple changed something when accessing iCloud ever since the celebrity hack took place/

maslett wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks, Mark
Last edited by midd on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..