Insteon replacements: Shelly or Z-Wave?

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:29 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Re: Insteon replacements: Shelly or Z-Wave?

I've purchased a Shelly 1 for the purpose of determining whether I will be able to use it to replace my Insteon outlets. I am able to control the Shelly 1 with the Shelly Cloud, but I've been unable to integrate it into Indigo. I have been unable to find documentation for this simple device control, and am hoping that someone can spot the flaw(s) in my settings, as set forth below.
    I have installed the 3 plug-ins, MQTT Broker, MQTT Connector, and Shelly MQTT. My configuration settings are:
    MQTT Connector Device: the local MQTT Broker's state is "Connected"; Type: MQTT Connector", Model: "MQTT Broker"; ip address [is the same as the Indigo server host computer];
    Sections:
      Connection info: IP Address [Indigo Host Computer]; port "1833", MQTT Protocol: "MQTTv311"; Transport Protocol "TCP", and Delay "0". I've also tried using the UID/PW for the computer hosting the Indigo server.
      Topic Subscriptions: Topic to subscribe: "Home/#"; QoS level "0"; Subscribed topics: "0:Home/#"
      Device/Variable Control: Enable Device Commands: checked; Command Topic: "indigo/devices/(?P<id>.*)/command/(?P<cmd>.*)"; enable variable commands not checked; Command topic "indigo/variables/(?P<id>.*)/command/(?P<cmd>.*)"
    The Shelly 1 device: Name "Test outlet"; Type :ShellyMQTT"; Model "Shelly 1"; Name "Test outlet". Device settings: Use information from Device [grayed out]; MQTT Broker: "local MQTT"; MQTT Topic Root: shellies/shelly1-[the hexadecimal code of the device]; Message Type "##Shelly1##; and Same Message Type is checked.
    The Trigger
      Name: 'Receive Shelly', type: "MQTT Connector Event"; Event "Topic Component Match". Event Settings: Select Broker "local MQTT", Match type: "Match"; Match String: [Shellies], and [Any]; Queue Message is checked, and Message Type "##Shelly1##.
      Condition: always
      Actions: Type "Update Shelly (ShellyMQTT Actions). Actions settings: Shelly Device to "discover": "Test outlet"
    I would be happy to provide screen shots if that would make the diagnosis easier.
    Thank you in advance,
    Bob

Posted on
    Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:16 am
    MarcoGT offline

You could also use shellyDirect plugin

Posted on
    Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:53 am
    FlyingDiver offline

First thing I notice is that the shelly device (and the trigger) are using a topic that starts with "shellies/...", but you're not subscribed to that topic with the connector. You're only subscribed to "Home/...".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
    my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
    Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:03 pm
    Colly offline

SMUSEBY wrote:
      I've purchased a Shelly 1 for the purpose of determining whether I will be able to use it to replace my Insteon outlets. I am able to control the Shelly 1 with the Shelly Cloud, but I've been unable to integrate it into Indigo. I have been unable to find documentation for this simple device control, and am hoping that someone can spot the flaw(s) in my settings, as set forth below.
      I have installed the 3 plug-ins, MQTT Broker, MQTT Connector, and Shelly MQTT. My configuration settings are:
      MQTT Connector Device: the local MQTT Broker's state is "Connected"; Type: MQTT Connector", Model: "MQTT Broker"; ip address [is the same as the Indigo server host computer];
      Sections:
        Connection info: IP Address [Indigo Host Computer]; port "1833", MQTT Protocol: "MQTTv311"; Transport Protocol "TCP", and Delay "0". I've also tried using the UID/PW for the computer hosting the Indigo server.
        Topic Subscriptions: Topic to subscribe: "Home/#"; QoS level "0"; Subscribed topics: "0:Home/#"
        Device/Variable Control: Enable Device Commands: checked; Command Topic: "indigo/devices/(?P<id>.*)/command/(?P<cmd>.*)"; enable variable commands not checked; Command topic "indigo/variables/(?P<id>.*)/command/(?P<cmd>.*)"
      The Shelly 1 device: Name "Test outlet"; Type :ShellyMQTT"; Model "Shelly 1"; Name "Test outlet". Device settings: Use information from Device [grayed out]; MQTT Broker: "local MQTT"; MQTT Topic Root: shellies/shelly1-[the hexadecimal code of the device]; Message Type "##Shelly1##; and Same Message Type is checked.
      The Trigger
        Name: 'Receive Shelly', type: "MQTT Connector Event"; Event "Topic Component Match". Event Settings: Select Broker "local MQTT", Match type: "Match"; Match String: [Shellies], and [Any]; Queue Message is checked, and Message Type "##Shelly1##.
        Condition: always
        Actions: Type "Update Shelly (ShellyMQTT Actions). Actions settings: Shelly Device to "discover": "Test outlet"
      I would be happy to provide screen shots if that would make the diagnosis easier.
      Thank you in advance,
      Bob

Hi Bob,
      Few pointers after making the change as suggested by @FlyingDiver
      Have you logged into the Shelly1 via it's IP address and enabled MQTT? You'll find it under "Internet & Security" and then "ADVANCED - DEVELOPER SETTINGS", make sure to add the IP address of your Broker.
      If above is configured have you downloaded MQTT Explorer and can you see it communicating?

Posted on
      Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:29 pm
      SMUSEBY offline

thank you for the advice. I've enabled MQTT on the Shelly1, and hopefully fixed the topic subscription as suggested. There are a lot of settings to get this right - I'm hoping that once I get this one working, the configuration will make more sense to me, and it will be reproducible. My current settings are hopefully an improvement since my last post, but my prototype to control the on/off state of an outlet with a Shelly1 still isn't working.

Current device settings:

MQTT Connector Device:
      the local MQTT Broker's state is "Connected";
      Type: MQTT Connector",
      Model: "MQTT Broker";
      Address: "[ip address of indigo server]

Under 'Edit device Settings...',
      'Configure MQTT Broker', Sections:
      Connection info:
      IP Address [Indigo server];
      port "1833",
      MQTT Protocol: "MQTTv311";
      Transport Protocol "TCP",
      UID & PW - same as set for the Shelly1 device under "Enable MQTT",
      Use SSL/TLS not checked
      Delay "0".
      Topic Subscriptions:
      Topic to subscribe: "Shellies/#";
      QoS level "0";
      Device/Variable Control:
      Enable Device Commands: checked;
      Command Topic (default): "indigo/devices/(?P<id>.*)/command/(?P<cmd>.*)";
      enable variable commands not checked;
      Command topic (default) "indigo/variables/(?P<id>.*)/command/(?P<cmd>.*)"
      Published Devices:
      Select Plugin "ShellyMQTT",
      Device to Publish "test" (do I need to list each shelly1 device, or is there a wild card possibility?)
      Device Publishing Template (default settings)
      Topic: "indigo/devices/{deviceID}}/update
      Payload: {"name": "{{name}}", etc....

Shelly 1 device:
      Type :ShellyMQTT";
      Model "Shelly 1";
      Name "Test";
      Address: "shellies/[mac address of device]
      Edit device settings:
      MQTT Broker: "local MQTT";
      MQTT Topic Root: shellies/[mac address of device];
      Message Type "##shelly1##;
      Same Message Type is checked.

The Trigger
      Name: 'Receive Shelly',
      type: "MQTT Connector Event";
      I've done my 'guess and check' on all(?) the possibilities with no success. I want to be able to control the outlet from indigo with the shelly1 relay. Rather than add to the clutter of this post with settings that don't work, I'm thinking it would be simpler for a list of settings or a screen shot of a trigger that performs this simple(?) task.

Thank you in advance to any of you good souls that will take the time to give me some advice.
      Bob

Posted on
      Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:32 pm
      FlyingDiver offline

"Shellies" is not the same as "shellies".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
      my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
      Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:46 pm
      SMUSEBY offline

Thank you. The Connector Device 'Topic to subscribe' is now "shellies/#".
      The Devil in the Details is still alive and well.

Posted on
      Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:30 pm
      SMUSEBY offline

I tweaked the trigger - to Type "Publish Message" with topic "shellies/#", and it actually works. (Blind hog found an acorn).
      Going forward, adding new devices looks as though it might be easy, with configuring of the device with the browser, and in Indigo, adding a device with settings from the browser. I don't see why there would be a need to adjust the trigger or connector.
      Assuming the Shelly devices are reliable, they seem like a great alternative to Insteon.
      Next, I have to figure out how to make room for the devices on my router.
      Thanks for the help and the plug-in.
      Bob
      PS - this was a lot of hard work for me. If someone else finds themselves similarly challenged, I'd be happy to post my settings - but without any explanation as to why.

Posted on
      Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:47 pm
      Colly offline

Happy you got sorted. I’ve a number of different Shelly devices for the last 4 years or so and have had no issues with reliability to date.

Posted on
      Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:07 pm
      SMUSEBY offline

That's very good to hear. Thank you.
      Are you using your Shelly devices to control outlets, or for other, more sophisticated uses?

Posted on
      Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:27 am
      Colly offline

Mostly lighting circuits, have the Shelly EM for monitoring power consumption and a few plug outlets that Aaron is soon going to add to the plugin

Posted on
      Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:40 pm
      MarcoGT offline

I have 12 Shelly 2.5 for shutter/blind control, work fine