Ring plugins are not working anymore?

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 pm
McJohn offline

Ring plugins are not working anymore?

Is there anyone who has a working Ring plugin at this moment?

Ring Debug Connected to Ring.com API?: True
Ring Debug Getting events and device states from Ring.com API
Ring Debug Error while trying to update devices from Ring.com API: InvalidGrantError(u'(invalid_grant) token is invalid or does not exists',)
Ring Error Connection error - pausing for 30 seconds before retrying (error: (invalid_grant) token is invalid or does not exists)

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:28 pm
Londonmark offline

Re: Ring plugins are not working anymore?

I’ve gone down the Ring homebridge route. I already have all my Indigo devices in HomeKit and using ring homebridge was a breeze to set up. Now have my doorbell and video showing in the Home app and can use it to trigger events that way.

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:23 pm
brentb offline

Londonmark can you give some details please. I've been trying to do this with no success. One time I was able to get a placeholder for the camera show up on my Home screen, but no stream. On subsequent tries, I can't even get that to show up now. I've added the ring plugin, and it is configured properly, as the screen shows information for the camera pulled from the ring server. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
Brent

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:07 pm
Londonmark offline

I followed the instructions at https://github.com/oznu/homebridge-config-ui-x/wiki/Homebridge-UI-on-macOS to get Homebridge running on my Indigo Mac. I already had two Homebridge instances running courtesy of C4W’s plugin, but those get installed in a different location so there was no cross-contamination. Activity Monitor now shows three HB processes running.

From the web GUI it was then straightforward to get the Ring plugin working and it regularly checks for updates. Plus you can see all of the accessories that should be there. The Ring plugin creates several different accessories - mode, button etc. All pretty logical.

Have you got that far?

Once is done that the Ring accessories showed up in the Home app.

Posted on
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 pm
McJohn offline

Thanks for the extended explanation of the HomeBridge route.
But that is a parallel solution next to Indigo with no integration with Indigo at all?

Beside this we were wondering why this Ring Plugin is still into the Indigo Plugin store while it stops working totally?
Isn't that misleading?

Posted on
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:37 am
Ramias offline

I run ring-mqtt in a docker container, run mosquito in a separate docker, and use the mqtt connector and mqtt shims to get it working in indigo. All my alarm sensors also work this way until a proper ring plugin with alarm support is written. If I had the skills I’d attempt it myself.

Until then, I also run the ring homebridge plugin, but I prefer to keep indigo as my primary controller for all devices and events.

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:16 pm
dduff617 offline

For anyone who is interested specifically in the subject of this thread ("Ring Plugins are not working anymore?"), here are some observations on the state of Ring support for Indigo:

For ZachBenz plugin. (This is the plugin covered in this forum, "ZachBenz's Plugins>RingForIndigo". Shows up under "Ring" in the plugin store. Last updated Jan, 2020. Last discussion threads in the forum are from mid-2020. Newest thread in the forum is this one with troubling title "Ring plugins are not working anymore?" and even this thread (prior to this entry) had no activity since Feb 2021. In the plugin store, this plugin is marked with the symbol and warning "may not be compatible with versions after Indigo 2022.1.2." which presumably means it has not been ported python 3.

I observe that there's evidence of another different plugin by developer Mpoulson called "Ring Doorbell". It seems to have once been in the Indigo plugin store, but there was some discussion in the forum about removing it due to it no longer working, and I can see now (Jan 2023) that it is not in the store. There are a few threads in the forum for this plugin in the last few months and signs that at least a few people are using it- though one is titled "Is this plugin dead?" for what it's worth.

I personally setup ZachBenz plugin back when I first got a Ring doorbell a few years back and it still works for me and provides Indigo triggers when my doorbell detects motion, and (separately) when someone pushes the doorbell. BTW, thanks to Zach for the work he put into this. I had setup a trigger (mostly as an experiment) to have it download the video for doorbell events to a local file, but this action seems to no longer work (?) due possibly to a change in the Ring API.

I have a simple Ring device configuration (just a single doorbell). I still find it useful to have Indigo be aware of Ring-generated events so I can do things like turn on lights when someone approaches my front door, pause/mute the music system when the doorbell rings, etc. Nothing "mission-critical" but I would still be disappointed to see Indigo/Ring support disappear.

I have been through a (sort of - roughly) similar experience in the past with Indigo/Nest support. It seems like the available alternative in that case was similar (to use HomeBridge) however as I understand it, this would essentially entail a migration away from Indigo as the central automation "hub", since bridging between HomeKit and Indigo is one-way. That is to say, using HomeBridge, the Ring doorbell would be visible in HomeKit, but not in Indigo - do I understand that correctly?

Posted on
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:03 pm
hensed offline

As of February 9th my plugin setup does not recognize doorbell presses, only motion. I've tried resetting the plugin, no joy. :cry:

Buuuut, power cycled the PoE port for the doorbell, now it works... nothing to see here.... :lol:

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2023 8:29 am
ryanbuckner offline

If there is someone interested in creating a new plugin, this library seems to have everything needed for a python 3.6 implementation .

https://python-ring-doorbell.readthedoc ... index.html

Posted on
Tue May 16, 2023 8:22 am
ryanbuckner offline

My Ring plugin has stopped working as of this morning. Anyone else ?

Page 1 of 1