Trane Nexia plugin in Development

Posted on
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:23 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Trane Nexia plugin in Development

Are Adam and Julio the only users testing this plugin? Anyone else?

I'm looking for feedback on the UI elements, as well as the operation. The zone device (Indigo thermostat) seems pretty reasonable. Not so sure about the thermostat device or the account device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 am
RogueProeliator offline

Hey Joe... I am back (was out of town a bit there) and may have some more time to play around with this and give some feedback... I did try sending the dump to you last week before I left but Google kept reporting that they couldn't connect to your email server. I'll try re-sending now that it gave up.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 pm
Dual offline

I recently purchase a Trane XR524 to install. Did it work with your plugin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:21 am
FlyingDiver offline

Dual wrote:
I recently purchase a Trane XR524 to install. Did it work with your plugin?

If it works with the Nexia home website it should work with the plugin. I think that model requires a separate Nexia bridge device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:43 pm
roquej offline

Joe,

The plugin works well now with zones: selecting zones, enabling and disabling schedule, etc. However, none of the Device-Thermostat functions seem to work for me.

Suggestions?

JP

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Turn on debug logging, try a few thermostat commands, then send me the log.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 am
welchgregusa offline

This plugin is working wonderfully for me, and I am grateful to the developer for creating it.

We just just installed two new Trane HVAC systems—one blower/furnace+compressor set for each of two parts of our house. This plugin works great for getting various status/state from the two ComfortLink II XL 1050 thermostats, and using them in control pages, triggers, etc. I believe I can also change the set points, fan, etc. although I am not doing that at the moment—I'm using the manufacturer's thermostat/iOS app mechanisms for those.

After creating a Nexia account (w/ Trane) and configuring my thermostats to link to the account as described in previous posts, I was able to set things up in Indigo. I created five devices associated w/ the plugin/HVAC systems: a single Nexia User Account device (logged in to my account), two Nexia Zone devices connected to the account (one for each HVAC system—even though I don't have zones, each system is effectively a zone), and two Nexia Thermostat devices also connected to the account (one for each HVAC system).

It took me a little bit of experimentation, and some fast and useful help from the developer, to understand where the various functional state/status/setting elements reside, e.g. blower-related activities and state are associated w/ the Nexia Thermostat devices, while temperature and heat/cool activities and state are associated w/ the Nexia Zone devices. It is also important to realize that the plugin devices do not update from the Nexia servers instantly—they are set to query the Nexia servers every 5 minutes (default) I believe, presumably to not load the servers (or draw the ire of Trane). I do not fully understand all of the controls/status but it seems that many or most of Indigo's built-in thermostat controls/state are not used or are delayed or inaccurate. Instead I am using the plugin-specific controls/state, which can be seen by going to the DEVICES section of Indigo and selecting any of the Nexia Thermostat or Nexia Zone devices, and dragging up on the small UI "dot" on the status sheet at the lower part of the Indigo window, which will expose "Custom States" for the devices (the state names and the current states).

One thing I have not figured out is whether/how it might be possible to use the "Popup UI Controls" that Indigo provides for control pages. I believe the difficulty I experienced is related to the splitting of the thermostat functionality into the Nexia Thermostat and Nexia Zone devices—apparently necessitated by the Nexia system, and per previous posts, something the developer is looking at. But the Trane UI (Nexia app) on iOS is not bad—it works well—so I am using that for controlling the system, and Indigo for status, triggers, etc.

Again, overall the plugin works great for me, and I very much appreciate it's existence, and the very quick and helpful responses from the developer.

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:28 am
johnofcamas offline

Thanks!

Hey Joe,

Just wanted to drop a line saying that I ran across this searching through github for any Nexia Home python libraries so I could start to cobble together an integration with Indigo, and look what I found... Somebody already did the work for me!

I have an American Standard HVAC <--> Nexia and your plugin works great, and for kicks I added it to HomeKit and it works great through homekit as well.

Thanks for your work, how can I buy you a cup of coffee?

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 am
FlyingDiver offline

Glad it's working out well for you. Thanks for the thought, but I don't drink coffee. ;)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
Glad it's working out well for you. Thanks for the thought, but I don't drink coffee. ;)

Tea? :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 am
FlyingDiver offline

jay (support) wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:

Tea? :lol:

Diet Coke, mostly. Occasionally tea when I have a cold. I love Chai Latte, but too much sugar for a Keto diet.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
I love Chai Latte, but too much sugar for a Keto diet.

<offtopic>I'm a huge chai fan who has lost 70lbs on Keto and this is what I did: get your favorite loose leaf chai (I recommend David's Tea), steep it, steam your favorite keto-friendly milk, add your own keto-friendly sweetener (Torani makes good sugar-free syrups if you want to add additional flavoring). I don't think I would have been nearly as keto successful if I hadn't figured this out - I love tea in general and chai in particular.</offtopic>

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:25 am
FlyingDiver offline

You got me beat. I'm only down 55lb over the last 13 months.

I might give that a try.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 am
DaveL17 offline

Wow -- congrats to you both! Amazing.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks for the thought, but I don't drink coffee.

Don't worry, I have your back... I drink enough for both of us, therefore you aren't kicked out of the programming club. I have Jay covered too if he eschews coffee for tea as it sounds like might be a possibility. Heck, maybe I have the whole forum covered. LOL