getting started - with Zigbee

Posted on
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 pm
lazlohollyfeld offline

getting started - with Zigbee

Hey all..

I've been combing thru the resources but can't seem to connect the dots.. I'm looking to add some Zigbee water sensors to my setup - already purchased.. Outside of a hue hub & bulbs, i don't currently own any other Zigbee hardware - but I'm looking to add a quite a few going forward..

What kind of hardware do I need to buy to use these MQTT plugins to read Zigbee water sensors? Something that can run locally, preferred.. I've seen some chatter about a Hubitat Elevation Home Automation Hub - but tbh I just don't know where to start..

Any help - or links to guides - would be appreciated!

Posted on
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:08 pm
tazswe offline

Re: getting started - with Zigbee

I am useing Zigbee2mqtt for my zigbee devices and it works like a charm. No need for Hubitat.

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:39 am
lazlohollyfeld offline

Thanks!
So - Zigbee2mqtt INSTEAD of a hub device,
And just a usb zigbee adapter for the machine running z2m - and the accessories just get paired with the adapter?

Any recommendations for an adapter with great range?

Posted on
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 am
tazswe offline

You will need one of the recommended adapters, I use the Slaesh's CC2652RB stick, I also know that the Sonoff stick have good reputation. Zigbee will build a mesh network and you will se how the devices are connected with each other. The range is normally not any problem for a normal home.

Then you need to set up a server, all the instructions is found on installation and if you just follow the instructions it’s easy.

Zigbee2MQTT was written in Node.js and runs almost on every platform with affordable memory footprint.
* Linux
* Docker
* Home Assistant addon
* openHABian
* Windows
* FreeBSD jail
* Python virtual-environment

You also need to set up a mqtt server.

Another alternative is the Hubitat hub that have zigbee integrated.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 am
DaveL17 offline

There is also a Python 3 library for Zigbee, but I know little about it beyond its existence.

It would likewise need a bridge of some kind as well as some way to communicate with Indigo (like an Indigo plugin or an external daemon and messaging protocol).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 am
lazlohollyfeld offline

This is great - just what I needed!

I just ordered a SONOFF adapter, and setting-up the docker image now! I can't wait to enjoy this new world of inexpensive sensors!

Posted on
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:32 am
lazlohollyfeld offline

ok - i'm all set-up and working as expected.. a HUGE thanks for the assist... I was able to install the controller on an existing rasp pi zero serving-up my Dymo label printers running CUPS - so just $20-something for the USB radio!!

I've got some EZIO8SA's connected to hardwired occupancy sensors all around the house - which works well about 97% of the time.. when it doesn't - it appears that the insteon signal from the EZIO8SA never makes it to Indigo (nothing in the log, just never shows-up.. I suspect its insteon interference) .. In any case - I was considering using a Pi and the GPIO inputs to create a zigbee bridge for the motion sensors - to replace the EZIOs..

I couldn't seem to find anything specific to accessing GPIO inputs wrt Zigbee2MQTT, doesn't appear to be supported?!?! Has anyone had any success with using a Pi as a zigbee bridge for wired devices? Anyone find any software that works well?

thanks again!

Page 1 of 1