Setting Indigo Device Status/State

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:13 am
koensayr offline

Setting Indigo Device Status/State

Hi there,

I've finally worked out how to use this plugin to pass MQTT messages to SmartThings (ST). This has allowed me to integrate my Brilliant.Tech keypads into my Indigo setup. The remaining issue I have though is that I can't get Indigo to display the proper state in the UI (for now just on or off). This is just usually shows as the light bulb icon being on or off. When I toggle the MQTT Dimmer Device in question on or off, the appropriate status message fires, but the device state doesn't change. I have things configured as follows:

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.07.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.07.14 PM.png (303.42 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

I have to believe this is due to me not quite understanding the State Value Location Setting.

The device is controlled by a simple MQTT Message in RAW format. When toggling the device on or off you simple see the following from Mosquitto:

Code: Select all
smartthings/VDS/switch/state on
smartthings/VDS/switch/state off

Indigo is properly seeing the MQTT messages and connecting it with the proper device:

dl.png
dl.png (204 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

Do I somehow have to trigger another MQTT to properly reflect the state somehow? It seems just a message to the topic smartthings/VDS/switch/state with value 'on' should do the trick?

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:31 am
siclark offline

Re: Setting Indigo Device Status/State

Hi,

I think this is related to an issue I raised with Joe a few months ago. We were working on it here https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=316&t=24066&start=75 but work got eally busy and I havent been able to complete the testing.

I see the same as you, where the indigo state only shows off if I set the birghtness to zero. Sending a MQTT messgage to turn the bulb off does turn the bulb off, but as brightness is still reported as non zero, the indigo state still shows it as on.

I have got round it for now by changing all my actions to use brightness not on/off or toggle. However is not the ideal solution. Although once off by setting brightness to zero, the on should work, and turn on to default brightness.

Would be nice to get this fixed correctly.

And I See this on non Hue bulbs as well as Hue that I use with zigbee2mqtt.

Simon

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 am
FlyingDiver offline

koensayr wrote:
Hi there,

I've finally worked out how to use this plugin to pass MQTT messages to SmartThings (ST). This has allowed me to integrate my Brilliant.Tech keypads into my Indigo setup. The remaining issue I have though is that I can't get Indigo to display the proper state in the UI (for now just on or off). This is just usually shows as the light bulb icon being on or off. When I toggle the MQTT Dimmer Device in question on or off, the appropriate status message fires, but the device state doesn't change. I have things configured as follows:

Do you also have a trigger set up per the instructions? What does it's config look like?

koensayr wrote:
I have to believe this is due to me not quite understanding the State Value Location Setting.

The device is controlled by a simple MQTT Message in RAW format. When toggling the device on or off you simple see the following from Mosquitto:

Indigo is properly seeing the MQTT messages and connecting it with the proper device:

Do I somehow have to trigger another MQTT to properly reflect the state somehow? It seems just a message to the topic smartthings/VDS/switch/state with value 'on' should do the trick?

So these are the state change messages from the device? The ones in the screen grab are the commands you're sending TO the device (which you're also receiving back from the broker).

Which is the "unique ID" associated with that specific device? 'VDS' or 'switch'? You must have the ST device configured so that a component of the topic (or part of a JSON payload) is a unique string which is specific to that device. Could be a name or serial number or hardware ID or similar.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:03 pm
koensayr offline

Do you also have a trigger set up per the instructions? What does it's config look like?

I did have a trigger setup, but it resulted in a circular route or a double action. The MQTT Shim appeared to received the MQTT message (which I think it responds to with an 'on' of 'off'). The shim would get the message, and then the trigger would fire to turn the device on, and then in turn the shim device would publish another message.

So again, I think I'm not clear on something.

flyingdriver wrote:
Which is the "unique ID" associated with that specific device? 'VDS' or 'switch'? You must have the ST device configured so that a component of the topic (or part of a JSON payload) is a unique string which is specific to that device. Could be a name or serial number or hardware ID or similar.

In this case "VDS" is the unique identifier that uniquely identifies the device to ST. VDS matches the name of the device in ST.

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

koensayr wrote:
I did have a trigger setup, but it resulted in a circular route or a double action. The MQTT Shim appeared to received the MQTT message (which I think it responds to with an 'on' of 'off'). The shim would get the message, and then the trigger would fire to turn the device on, and then in turn the shim device would publish another message.

So again, I think I'm not clear on something.

You need to make sure that the status message from the device, and the commands to the device, use different topics and don't match the same triggers. Specifically, commands to the device (which will generally be echoed back by the broker) must NOT match the trigger used to update the Indigo device (ie, the status message from the remote device).

koensayr wrote:
In this case "VDS" is the unique identifier that uniquely identifies the device to ST. VDS matches the name of the device in ST.

So your trigger needs to look something like:

Match: smartthings
Any:
Match: switch
Match: state
End:

Then in the Shim device, Topic Field is "1" (zero based list, second component) and the Unique ID field is "VDS".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:59 pm
koensayr offline

I see. I'll give that topic field setting a change. It wasn't super clear to me what that was used for.

The intention though is that the Shim device should show on/off states in the Indigo UI right? I also just want to make sure I'm not missing some part of the basic premise.

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:49 am
FlyingDiver offline

koensayr wrote:
The intention though is that the Shim device should show on/off states in the Indigo UI right? I also just want to make sure I'm not missing some part of the basic premise.

As long as you're using the correct Shim device type, yes.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1