Using Shelly devices with the MQTT plugin

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 am
Colly offline

Re: Using Shelly devices with the MQTT plugin

Espressomatic wrote:
Right now, just by looking at the configuration needed and the issues coming up in this thread, that's not quite the case.

I think it's important that you recognise this is a "work in progress" and I for one enjoy the learning as developments are being made. Based on previous experience I'm pretty sure FlyingDiver will end up with a great plugin in the end.
FlyingDiver wrote:
You should know that I'm working on a fairly significant change in how you might want to handle Shelly devices. I'm really not a fan of the way they do multiple topics with raw payloads, rather than one topic with a JSON payload. So I'm working on an aggregator that will consolidate the multiple topics into one to go to the Shim.

The way you're doing things now will continue to work, but the new way will have only one trigger per Shelly device. And less Indigo devices as well, in most cases.

Keep up the good work Joe :)

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:39 am
Colly offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
You don't have a Shim device with the same message type (##shellies##) running, so the queued messages (from the Trigger) aren't getting cleared. If you disable the Shim device, you need to disable the matching Trigger as well.

Thanks Joe. Got that working, I had a few shims on the go and disabled the wrong one in an attempt to isolate the issue.
Next bit for me is to get the power value - I'm using a Shelly1PM. Can you provide some guidance?

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:49 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Introducing the Shims plugin

Espressomatic wrote:
Avoid installing/maintaining MQTT brokers, MQTT Bridges.
UI elements/name-spaces specific to the devices.

In general, less layers, less moving pieces, less jargon, less confusion. All the Shelly devices could, in theory, be manipulated from a UI perspective with precisely the same basic simplicity as typical Z-Wave equivalents. Right now, just by looking at the configuration needed and the issues coming up in this thread, that's not quite the case.

Fair enough. But you posted the question in my MQTT forum. If you were looking for a non-MQTT plugin solution, you should have posted it elsewhere.

The MQTT plugins solve a much broader problem - providing support for any MQTT device. That flexibility means it's a little more complicated to configure.

It would certainly be possible to write a plugin that would communicate with the Shelly devices directly using their HTTP interface. One downside to the HTTP API is that there's no webhook capability. That is, the devices never send out status - you have to poll them. That's really not an acceptable situation if you're using changes in the Shelly device to trigger other actions in Indigo.

Feel free to report your original request in a more appropriate forum.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:51 am
FlyingDiver offline

Colly wrote:
Next bit for me is to get the power value - I'm using a Shelly1PM. Can you provide some guidance?

Kinda busy today fixing plugins. Maybe Jody can help. He (she?) obviously has it working based on the screenshot posted recently.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:39 am
Colly offline

Thanks, I have a re-read over the posts and see how I get on.

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:50 am
cuhouse offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Colly wrote:

Kinda busy today fixing plugins. Maybe Jody can help. He (she?) obviously has it working based on the screenshot posted recently.

Colly,

Here are some screen shots of the power value set up for a Shelly 2.5.
I always begin with MQTT Explorer to see what the device is subscribing to and to get the format:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.34.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.34.19 AM.png (45.88 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Trigger:

Note: Don'f forget to add the Topic Completion "End" Match (not showing in my screen capture)

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.42.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.42.53 AM.png (110.26 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Shim Device:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.46.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.46.29 AM.png (151.88 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

I like pictures so hope this helps.

Jody

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:55 am
FlyingDiver offline

cuhouse wrote:
Note: Don'f forget to add the Topic Completion "End" Match (not showing in my screen capture)

I've made that field taller (8 lines instead of 5) for the next release....

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:16 am
Colly offline

cuhouse wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
Colly wrote:

Colly,

Here are some screen shots of the power value set up for a Shelly 2.5.
I always begin with MQTT Explorer to see what the device is subscribing to and to get the format:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.34.19 AM.png

Trigger:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.42.53 AM.png

Shim Device:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 9.46.29 AM.png

I like pictures so hope this helps.

Jody

Thanks Jody,
nearly there but need to run out for a while. Will sort later on I'm sure.

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:40 am
cuhouse offline

Thanks Jody,
nearly there but need to run out for a while. Will sort later on I'm sure.

The Shelly documentation shows that the power subscription for the Shelly 1PM is the same as the Shelly 2.5.

Code: Select all
Shelly1PM adds:

shellies/shelly1pm-<deviceid>/relay/0/power reports instantaneous power
shellies/shelly1pm-<deviceid>/relay/0/energy reports an incrementing energy counter in Watt-minute
shellies/shelly1pm-<deviceid>/temperature reports internal device temperature in °C
shellies/shelly1pm-<deviceid>/temperature_f reports internal device temperature in °F
shellies/shelly1pm-<deviceid>/overtemperature reports 1 when device has overheated, normally 0

Jody

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 pm
FlyingDiver offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
It would certainly be possible to write a plugin that would communicate with the Shelly devices directly using their HTTP interface. One downside to the HTTP API is that there's no webhook capability. That is, the devices never send out status - you have to poll them. That's really not an acceptable situation if you're using changes in the Shelly device to trigger other actions in Indigo.

Turns out I was wrong about this. The Shelly sensor will do a webhook callback. It's in the Actions section of the web UI. But it's not documented in the API docs. I got a Shelly H&T today and was able to get it to work with my HTTPd plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:30 am
Espressomatic offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Fair enough. But you posted the question in my MQTT forum. If you were looking for a non-MQTT plugin solution, you should have posted it elsewhere.

The single question was intended only to find out if there was already an "elsewhere" for Shelly - because I hadn't been able to turn anything up.

I have other use cases for MQTT of course and recognize the plugin has to be more general purpose.

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:12 pm
CliveS offline

Error with Shelly Dimmer Power output

Getting a strange error on a Shelly Dimmer, Energy gives correct amount but Power just errors in the log.

Code: Select all
   Starting plugin "MQTT Shims 0.1.3" (pid 949)
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          logLevel = 5
   Started plugin "MQTT Shims 0.1.3"
   MQTT Shims                      Starting MQTT Shims
   MQTT Shims                      Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shellydw-F3B5E0 Battery: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydw-F3B5E0 Battery: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      Shellydw-F3B5E0 Door Lux Sensor: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydw-F3B5E0 Door Lux Sensor: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims                      shellydw-F3B5E0 Open Close: Starting Device
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shellydw-F3B5E0 Open Close: Device Version is up to date
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shelly1pm-0## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-0##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/relay/0 -> off
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: update topic message_address = shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'off'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: shimOnOffSensor, state_key = value, data = {'value': u'off'}, value = off
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: Updating state to False
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shellydimmer-0## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: processMessages: '##shellydimmer-0##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0 -> off
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'off'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: shimOnOffSensor, state_key = value, data = {'value': u'off'}, value = off
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: Updating state to False
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shelly1pm-F27186-TempC## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/temperature -> 46.73
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: update address mismatch: Shellydimmer-F3A8BA != shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-F27186-TempC##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/temperature -> 46.73
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: update address mismatch: shelly1pm-F27186 != shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shelly1pm-0## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-0##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/relay/0 -> on
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: update topic message_address = shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'on'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: shimOnOffSensor, state_key = value, data = {'value': u'on'}, value = on
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: Updating state to True
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##Shellydimmer-power## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-power##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0/power -> 4.90
   MQTT Shims Error                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: update error determining device address field: 'float' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##Shellydimmer-energy## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-energy##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0/energy -> 359
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'359'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: shimValueSensor, key = value, data = {'value': u'359'}, value = 359
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: update adjustmentFunction: ''
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: Updating state to 359.0
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shellydimmer-0## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: processMessages: '##shellydimmer-0##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0 -> on
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'on'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: shimOnOffSensor, state_key = value, data = {'value': u'on'}, value = on
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: Updating state to True
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shelly1pm-F27186-TempC## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/temperature -> 46.73
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: update address mismatch: Shellydimmer-F3A8BA != shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-F27186-TempC##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/temperature -> 46.73
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: update address mismatch: shelly1pm-F27186 != shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##Shellydimmer-power## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-power##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0/power -> 6.88
   MQTT Shims Error                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: update error determining device address field: 'float' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##Shellydimmer-energy## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-energy##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0/energy -> 359
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: update topic message_address = shellydimmer-F3A8BA
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'359'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: shimValueSensor, key = value, data = {'value': u'359'}, value = 359
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: update adjustmentFunction: ''
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Energy: Updating state to 359.0
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-0##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/relay/0 -> on
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: shimOnOffSensor, state_key = value, data = {'value': u'on'}, value = on
   MQTT Shims Debug                shelly1pm-F27186 On-Off: Updating state to True
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shelly1pm-power## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-power##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/relay/0/power -> 0.00
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: update topic message_address = shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'0.00'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: shimValueSensor, key = value, data = {'value': u'0.00'}, value = 0.00
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: update adjustmentFunction: ''
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186 Power: Updating state to 0.0
   MQTT Shims Debug                received notification of MQTT message type ##shelly1pm-energy## from Indigo MQTT Server
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-energy##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/relay/0/energy -> 0
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: update topic message_address = shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'0'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: shimValueSensor, key = value, data = {'value': u'0'}, value = 0
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: update adjustmentFunction: ''
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186 Energy: Updating state to 0.0
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/temperature -> 41.65
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: update topic message_address = shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA-TempC: update address mismatch: Shellydimmer-F3A8BA != shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: processMessages: '##shelly1pm-F27186-TempC##' shellies/shelly1pm-F27186/temperature -> 41.65
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: update topic message_address = shelly1pm-F27186
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          recurseDict key_string = value, data_dict= {'value': u'41.65'}
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: shimValueSensor, key = value, data = {'value': u'41.65'}, value = 41.65
   MQTT Shims Threaddebug          Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: update adjustmentFunction: ''
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shelly1pm-F27186-TempC: Updating state to 41.65
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: processMessages: '##shellydimmer-0##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0 -> on
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: shimOnOffSensor, state_key = value, data = {'value': u'on'}, value = on
   MQTT Shims Debug                shellydimmer-F3A8BA On-Off: Updating state to True
   MQTT Shims Debug                Shellydimmer-F3A8BA Power: processMessages: '##Shellydimmer-power##' shellies/shellydimmer-F3A8BA/light/0/power -> 6.84

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Error with Shelly Dimmer Power output

CliveS wrote:
Getting a strange error on a Shelly Dimmer, Energy gives correct amount but Power just errors in the log.

Moved to the Shelly thread...

Please turn off Detailed Debugging unless I specifically ask for it.

Show me the Shim Device configuration. And the payload. I suspect you have it set for JSON payload when it should be Raw.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:31 pm
CliveS offline

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 21.14.19.png
Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 21.14.19.png (121.03 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 21.16.00.png
Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 21.16.00.png (92.21 KiB) Viewed 3063 times

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Do you have MQTT Explorer? Can you show me what the actual message looks like?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)