mqtt QoS

Posted on
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:08 am
tazswe offline

mqtt QoS

I installed a Mosquitto server to handle the messages from Shellymqtt. The recommendation was QoS of 0(message delivery of most of one) and that is working ok, the Shellys are spitting out status messages as a machine gun so it’s not a disaster if you miss one or two.

However, I have recently installed a zigbee2mqtt stick to communicate with some Aqara and IKEA devices that can take hours between sending each message. I would prefer to have QoS setting of 1 or 2 for these devices to make sure that the messages are delivered.

Can I have different QoS settings for my devices on my Mosquitto server or must all devices have the same setting

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: mqtt QoS

Are you talking about messages FROM the device, or TO the device?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:37 am
tazswe offline

Both ways I think. My devices only state QoS and don’t mention sending or receiving.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:59 am
FlyingDiver offline

Honestly, I think you're asking this question in the wrong place. The MQTT connector plugin can do any QoS you want. For messages from the broker TO Indigo, it's specified in the topic subscription. If you want some messages to have an elevated QoS, subscribe to those topics with the appropriate QoS. That takes care of messages coming from zigbee2mqtt to Indigo.

Also, sending messages TO those devices, you specify the QoS in the message action.

For the messages between the devices and zigbee2mqtt and then to the broker, you'll have to figure out how to set that in zigbee2mqtt. I have no idea. But honestly, if the zigbee2mqtt stick is installed on the same system that's running Indigo, there's very little chance of failure on that link. The more likely failure is in the Zigbee mesh between the device and the zigbee2mqtt stick, and MQTT QoS will have no effect on that at all.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1