Roon 1.8 [RESOLVED]

Posted on
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:58 pm
autolog offline

Roon 1.8 [RESOLVED]

Looks like the update to Roon 1.8 has broken the plugin. :(

The API has changed slightly - I will look to fix it within a couple of days and release an updated plugin version. :)

Posted on
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:24 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon 1.8 [RESOLVED]

I have uploaded version 0.3.7 to Github and this is now an official release in the Indigo Plugin Store.

Unfortunately and not unexpectedly, the Pyroon library used by the plugin is now Python 3 only and doesn't support Python 2.7 used by Indigo. This means that that this Indigo Plugin is running on an older version of the library that did support Python 2.7. I have had to modify the library to take account of the changes done in the latest Pyroon version to handle the update to Roon 1.8. It also means I can't currently take advantage of any new features offered by the Pyroon library. The investment in my time to try to back-port it to Python 2.7 or create a bridge to Python 3 isn't worth it. However that said, it appears to be working for me. :)

Please note that this release requires Roon 1.8 - I haven't tested it on version 1.7 as I have already upgraded to 1.8, hence why I had to fix this plugin.

All my systems are running on macOS Big Sur 11.2.1. When installing, it may be necessary to authorise the plugin via System Settings > General tab. This may require several plugin reloads.

In addition you may have to enable the Autolog Roon extension. In Roon, go to Settings > Extensions.

Posted on
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 pm
dtich offline

ping. might have happened again with release of build880.

fwiw. thanks!

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:27 am
autolog offline

Yes, something seems to have gone wrong!

What problem are you seeing and how does it manifest itself?

I am getting a Connection refused error.

It may take a few days to be able to look into this as I have a few other things on my plate at the meoment.

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 am
dtich offline

yes, same. roon will not recognize the plugin, never shows on extension page so can't authorize.

thx!

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:12 am
autolog offline

There seem to be a number of related posts on the Roon Community forums regarding the new 880 Build. I have posted a query — we'll see what happens. :|

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 am
dtich offline

yes i +1'd your post, and had made one of my own last night.

i assume it's a port change as others have noted. however, i cannot get the plugin config to load in order to try to change the port (not sure if that's even an option); getting this error when loading config:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 8.14.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 8.14.14 AM.png (323.97 KiB) Viewed 2735 times

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:27 am
dtich offline

from roon mod:

brian
Brian Luczkiewicz
Roon Labs: CTO
13m
The port number is not (and was never) a fixed quantity, and Roon API extensions were never intended to hard-code it.

It has always been assigned out of a range, where we look for the first available port. 9100 was the first port in that range, so on many machines, Roon would use 9100, but there are many people who have been using 9101 or 9102, and quite a few users who ping-pong around based on the order that various software starts up.

We moved the port range because we became aware of several pieces of software that are inflexibly tied to 9100, and due to implementation errors in that software, they would sometimes result in conflicts.

For Roon API extensions, the correct approach is to use the discovery protocol to discover the Roon Core and the correct port, as exemplified in our SDKs, for example GitHub - RoonLabs/node-roon-api: Javascript Roon API 1.

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:01 pm
autolog offline

Yes, I had just picked that up as well.

I will take a look at it in the next few days (or sooner). Not sure how difficult it will be to implement; it depends on the previously mentioned issue regarding Python 2.7 and Python 3.

I will look at the config problem which I have also seen. The port number isn't configurable as it is hard coded to 9100 in the code. I changed it in the code in order to test the other ports.

Obviously, I am keen to get this issue sorted. I will keep you posted. Please bear with me. :)

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:07 pm
dtich offline

no problem jon, and thanks a lot for everything.

Posted on
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon 1.8 [WORKAROUND FOR ROON BUILD 880]

I have started looking at how to enable discovery today. In the process, I have discovered that the base port is now 9300. I changed the fixed value in the plugin and I have now got it working again.

I have uploaded a pre-release (using port 9300) to Github, which is available here: Roon Controller - Version 0.0.39

Download the Roon.indigoPlugin.zip and double click it to reveal the plugin and then double click that plugin file to install.

You may get a message about unrecognised developer where it asks you whether you want to move it to the bin or cancel; reply cancel.

Then go to Settings > Security & Privacy, unlock the pane and then authorise the plugin (open anyway)

Then in Indigo, reload the plugin and reply Open to the prompt and you should be good to go.

You will have to have Roon > Settings > Extension open to re-authorise it.

Let me know how you get on. :)

In the meanwhile, I will continue investigating how to make this more bullet proof by utilising discovery.

Posted on
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:11 am
dtich offline

that worked for me too jon, thanks a bunch. very helpful.

will keep an eye out for version with discovery mode.

thanks!

Page 1 of 1