Roon Controller V0.2.2 Released :)

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:46 am
autolog offline

Roon Controller V0.2.2 Released :)

I have now uploaded the latest version of the plugin to Github and submitted it to the Indigo Plugin Store.

My Roon Core is running on my Indigo iMac (2017) under macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and that is the system I have been testing and using the plugin on.

As there is no documentation for the plugin at the moment, here are some notes on how to get started:
  • The plugin config is fairly self-explanatory (I think):
    • Specify Roon Core IP address
    • Optionally specify the Variable Folder Name of the Indigo folder in which the plugin will list any pre-defined Roon now playing variables when editing a Roon device. See configuring output devices.
    • I would suggest that you turn on the Device Auto-Create option in the plugin config, Specify the Device Folder Name of the Indigo folder in which the plugin will create any Roon Zone or Roon Output devices, if the Device Auto-Create is enabled. Default is 'Roon'
    • The Dynamic-Rename option This will dynamically rename an Indigo Roon Zone device which represents a group of Roon Outputs when the underlying Roon Zone display name changes. The device will be renamed to the lead Output in the group e.g. 'Roon Zone - Study + Living Room'. Default is checked (True).</Label>
    • Debug options can be set.
  • There two plugin device types: Output and Zone
  • Outputs
    • Outputs are given addresses such as OUT-1, OUT-2 etc
    • When configuring the Output click Auto name to automatically name a new device created using the New... option.
    • Choose a variable in the Now Playing Variable pull-down to get the plugin to update the variable with the track playing details e.g. Now playing Drive My Car, by The Beatles, from the album, Rubber Soul. The variable has to have been previously created in the variable folder specified in the plugin config. You can use a trigger to check for variable change and then use a script to play an announcement of the track change on say an Amazon Echo or HomePod.
    • The Outputs will have a status of connected or disconnected (from the Roon core).
    • There are a lot of custom states that can be used to display info in Control Pages.
  • Zones
    • Zones are given addresses such as ZONE-A-1, Zone-B-2 (where the trailing number indicates the number of Roon outputs in the Zone group.
    • When configuring the Zone click Auto name to automatically name a new device created using the New... option.
    • Artist images and album images can be located in the following folder path: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.x/Preferences/Plugins/com.autologplugin.indigoplugin.rooncontroller/ (where x is Indigo version). Each Zone has its own folder (e.g. ZONE-A-1) with an album image and five artist images. There is also a text file whose only purpose it to give you an indication of the Zone name (e.g. _ROON ZONE - STUDY.txt). If the album cover or any of the artist images are not available, a default is used. So to specify an image in a Control Page, use the form: file:///Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.x/Preferences/Plugins/com.autologplugin.indigoplugin.rooncontroller/ZONE-A-1/Album_Image.png
    • There are a lot of custom states that can be used to display info in Control Pages.

There are various actions available in Device Actions > Roon Controls. These enable you to control the volume of an individual output, toggle mute on a zone, mute all zones (new addition) and the normal play/pause/back/forward type controls etc.

NOTE: In this version of the plugin I have fixed a number of bugs and changed the way that the Indigo Devices get named. Previously for example, a grouped zone would have been named "Study + 1 or Study + 2. This version now names the devices (in this example) Study + Kitchen or Study + Kitchen + Dining Room. This makes it easier to understand what is grouped and also fixes a name not unique bug that was occurring.

Please post any questions or feedback to a new thread.

Page 1 of 1